DISCUSS... (movingimageedition)

iron_monkeyiron_monkey 985 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
bonus

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Mamet is but Chinatown is beyond ill

• 1. I'm sorry, Mamet is an overcompensating macho hack who thinks that "aesthetics" is the amount of times that "fuck" appears in his scripts. This was probably his best work though.

2. Never saw it

3. Cool car chase and all, but this is when Friedkin fell off. SORCERER and CRUISING are so much more intense.

4. Never saw it

5. Polanski + Nicholson + Evans = Genius

• im not a big fan of playwrights turned movie scripters. so, no on the glengarry glen ross.

never seen rumble fish. good?

i liked it when i first saw it. now im kinda lukewarm on it.

east of eden is a beautiful flick! kazan knew how to utilize the cinemascope, that damn ratfink bastard.

chinatown is the mother, the sister, the motherfucking shit!

• CRUISING is so much more intense.

AYOOOOOO!!!!!

• Jus playing.

• Sorry I meant to say

CRUISING is so much more intense of an erotic film experience for me.

• these are all dope. Except for this one:

I preferred the Pac version.

• Sorry I meant to say

CRUISING is so much more intense of an erotic film experience for me.

hahahaha. Al Bundy was dope in that one, though. (Early Ed O'Neil raer.)

• a very underrated film

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Oh how I love Diane Lane...or at least did, around the time of this movie...how did they manage to make her look SO BAD on that box?? In that movie she looks totally fwine!

• China Town and To Live and Die in La are my SHIT.

Just saw OLD BOY earlier today. Shit was dope!

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

"you see this watch?you see this watch?this watch cost more than your car.."some of the best performances put to film.jack lemmon is untouchable in this movie.

• very classic but not my favorite Mamet film.

I'm about to see it for the first time soon. It's in my Netflix queue.

Never saw it but I will now.

been years since I've seen it. Don't remember.

Classic film. Miller's Crossing is similar in the way the story plays out. If you're not paying close attention to it you'll miss something.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I saw TO LIVE ANd DIE in the theatre with my grandmother.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I saw THESE AS A DOUBLE FEATURE in the theatre with my grandmother.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I saw THESE AS A DOUBLE FEATURE in the theatre with my grandmother.

Dune is one of two movies I have fallen asleep while watching in a theatre. The other?............Mad Max: Thunderdoom

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Oops I forgot I fell asleep during the first of the new Star Wars Trilogoy. Underwater sci-fi makes me sleepy. Shit from the looks of it Sci-fi anywhere makes me sleepy.

• Tru Dat...I'd Tap!

SG

Oh how I love Diane Lane...or at least did, around the time of this movie...how did they manage to make her look SO BAD on that box?? In that movie she looks totally fwine!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Oh, and I meant to shout out the soundtrack to this...pretty offbeat shit by Stewart Copeland of The Police...not for everyone, but I could see some of y'all really digging it. Very percussive. Cool vocal theme, too, with the dude from Wall of Voodoo.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Dune is one of two movies I have fallen asleep while watching in a theatre. The other?............Mad Max: Thunderdoom

I fell asleep in the first 5 minutes of 'Dick Tracy' and woke up as everyone was leaving the theatre. More recently my wife and I BOTh fell asleep at the drive-in 'watching'(more like suffering thru) 'The Dukes of Hazard'

Shit was terrible...

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    I was hoping this was going to be about Sheep's avatar

First three films lack some finishing touches, #4 I know nothing about, Chinatown is in my all time top ten.

But what about...

Scent Of A Woman
    Dead Poets Society
    Great Expectations

... wackness personified in mainstream cinema if you ask me.

• I was hoping this was going to be about Sheep's avatar

indeed. let's talk about that.... Sheep plaese to explain.

• I was hoping this was going to be about Sheep's avatar

First three films lack some finishing touches, #4 I know nothing about, Chinatown is in my all time top ten.

But what about...

Scent Of A Woman
    Dead Poets Society
    Great Expectations

... wackness personified in mainstream cinema if you ask me.

Huh?
    Dood what're you talkin bout?
    What is wackness in mainstream cinema?
    The three movies you pulled out your ass?
    Uhhh...NEWS FLASH! I didn't ask to discuss those.

As for your "response", I think the only thing missing some "finishing touches" here may be you.

Based on that, I might have to re-examine Chinatown now. Thanks for ruining a perfectly good film...
    Sheesh!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Suffocating and depressing, hate to think what my dad would have been like if this is what he did for a living. Really good.

Loved it. Good soundtrack.

Never saw it.

Can't appreciate James Dean, don't know why. Couldn't get through it. Should try again next time it plays.

chinatown is the mother, the sister, the motherfucking shit!
    I saw it for the first time only a couple of years ago and it blew me away. Unfuckingbelievable. Faye Dunaway is so beautiful in it - how she feels on my eyes is like ice in my mouth on a hot day - hurts so good.

• I saw it for the first time only a couple of years ago and it blew me away. Unfuckingbelievable. Faye Dunaway is so beautiful in it - how she feels on my eyes is like ice in my mouth on a hot day - hurts so good.

oh dear lord she was a BABE in her prime. my favorite is her as bonnie in bonnie & clyde. so so sessy.

I saw it for the first time only a couple of years ago and it blew me away. Unfuckingbelievable. Faye Dunaway is so beautiful in it - how she feels on my eyes is like ice in my mouth on a hot day - hurts so good.

oh dear lord she was a BABE in her prime. my favorite is her as bonnie in bonnie & clyde. so so sessy.

me too. her clothes in that film! not a bad outfit in there at all. perfect twist that dude couldn't make it with her.

• oooooh, girl!!! totally feeling her outfits. the sheer floral print jernts and the white and black beret were so on point. neckerchief sweater combos. i mean, the cut of the dresses she had were so damn sexy. i seem to remember a few scenes of her in those old school undergarments which i hate and she made that shit look H-O-T! she was absolutely STUNNING in that movie.

Yes, I will go on a shooting and looting rampage with you Miss Bonnie, Thank You very much for asking me. Now can we lose the dead weight with the stupid look on his face?

• Don't forget about Faye in the Thomas Crown Affair...so so Sessy!

SG

oooooh, girl!!! totally feeling her outfits. the sheer floral print jernts and the white and black beret were so on point. neckerchief sweater combos. i mean, the cut of the dresses she had were so damn sexy. i seem to remember a few scenes of her in those old school undergarments which i hate and she made that shit look H-O-T! she was absolutely STUNNING in that movie.

• A bunch of dude flicks, like chick flicks but for doods. GGR is whatevs, Rumble Fish I would like to see again, Live and Die in LA makes a great half of a retardedly gay 1985 double feature with The Year of the Dragon, and East of Eden... I prefer Giant, even though it exceeds three hours (gasp).

Not to hate on Chinatown but it's least interesting thing Polanski did in Hollywood and has some unintentionally silly moments. Try What? or The Tennant if you really wanna see something.