HIP HOP LESSONS #1- MASTERDON DEATH COMMITTEE

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Since the Primo thread got me wearing my Captain Real Hip Hop cape, I have decided it is my duty to share clips from some of my favorite old school hip hop live tapes for whoever may be interested in seeing where the music comes if you aren't already aware. And for those who are already aware, maybe this will just be some "real shit" that you haven't heard before. First up is an excerpt from a 1981 MC convention performance by DJ Masterdon (RIP) and Death Committee, later known as Masterdon Committee when they started recording for Enjoy a year or two later. This incarnation of the group included an emcee named Boo-Ski who was not down with them by the time they started making records (dude was mad nice, though). Although Grandmaster Flash introduced the beat box into the hip hop realm, Masterdon was well known for being able to rock the sh*t out of it, too, as you will hear on this clip. And check out the great Pebblee Poo doggin' the mic- one of the dopest female emcees ever, IMO. Masterdon & Death Committee -live at the mc convention 1981 More to come soon...

Comments

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    INCREDIBLE!!!I DO LOVE THIS: ITS... SO SO FUCKING

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Damn! thanks for posting this.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Phill -

Thanks for the hookup - sh*t sounds great regardless of date...

• Very dope....keep them coming.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    nice! is that a roland cr-78 ?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Very dope....keep them coming.

• Teach on!!!!!

BTW Is that the same Pebblee Poo that made the fly guy comeback record a few years later on Profile?

• Same Peblee Poo alright.
    http://www.jayquan.com/peblee.htm

I swear Masterdon Comitte did way more records than i thought.
    I think I've counted about 6 to 8 now... LOev taht shit.

Please keep posting... Some of us really appreciate the effort.

• Oh Snap! God I love hip-hop!
    that interview is

• Teach on!!!!!

BTW Is that the same Pebblee Poo that made the fly guy comeback record a few years later on Profile?

idiotproof beat me to it, but yep, that is her.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Although Grandmaster Flash introduced the beat box into the hip hop realm, Masterdon was well known for being able to rock the sh*t out of it, too, as you will hear on this clip.
    damn!i haven't heard every flash tape made,but he sounds pre-school on the beat-box compared to masterdon.those are some of the funkiest drums i've heard ina minute.thanks phill. :

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    "if you sniff COCAINE + you on the GO, SAY BLOOOOWWWW!!!"

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    "if you sniff COCAINE + you on the GO, SAY BLOOOOWWWW!!!"

Yeah, that was really fucking weird. Bring back the pre-crack days!

-e

• its been a good day. first, the cash money bros tape and now this! thanks phill. i'm looking forward to hearing more.

• its been a good day. first, the cash money bros tape and now this!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Fuck crusty funkdrums right now; that distorted beatbox is incarnated. Class is in session and I'm all ears.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    This incarnation of the group included an emcee named Boo-Ski who was not down with them by the time they started making records (dude was mad nice, though).

Later went on to make records w/ pretty ricky & booski... "It's Mine" was an answer to t la rock - "it's yours"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Nice and gritty.
    I wish could breakout some of my tapes.

• GREAT STUFF!

Nuff said - Please post more stuff like this :-)

REVERSE

Scope

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Since the Primo thread got me wearing my Captain Real Hip Hop cape, I have decided it is my duty to share clips from some of my favorite old school hip hop live tapes for whoever may be interested in seeing where the music comes if you aren't already aware.

DOPE! Phill, plaese to make this a series of posts. Phill's hip hop lessons!!
    Also, plaese to post picture of yourself wearing your "Captain Real Hip Hop cape!"
    Is it a Mitchell & Ness Captain Real Hip Hop cape?
    Audi 5000 Geeeeee,

Chan

• Endless respect due. Mad props.

• P.S. Don't stop now

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    this is great thanks phill

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Endless respect due. Mad props.

but hopefully not

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Since the Primo thread got me wearing my Captain Real Hip Hop cape, I have decided it is my duty to share clips from some of my favorite old school hip hop live tapes for whoever may be interested in seeing where the music comes if you aren't already aware. And for those who are already aware, maybe this will just be some "real shit" that you haven't heard before.

First up is an excerpt from a 1981 MC convention performance by DJ Masterdon (RIP) and Death Committee, later known as Masterdon Committee when they started recording for Enjoy a year or two later. This incarnation of the group included an emcee named Boo-Ski who was not down with them by the time they started making records (dude was mad nice, though). Although Grandmaster Flash introduced the beat box into the hip hop realm, Masterdon was well known for being able to rock the sh*t out of it, too, as you will hear on this clip. And check out the great Pebblee Poo doggin' the mic- one of the dopest female emcees ever, IMO.

Masterdon & Death Committee -live at the mc convention 1981

More to come soon...

Damn, that's terrific stuff. Thanks, Phill. Looking forward to the next instalment.