Something we can ALL agree on (UNITY related)

Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
From CNN tonight:New Bosnia icon: Bruce Lee[/b]SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina (Reuters) -- The ethnically divided Bosnian city of Mostar has agreed to erect a new symbol of unity -- a statue of kung fu legend Bruce Lee, worshipped by Muslims, Serbs and Croats.A group of enthusiasts came up with the idea of honoring the childhood hero of the city's ethnic groups in 2003, on the 30th anniversary of his death. They launched the project, found donors and waited a year for the city's approval."We plan to erect the statue in November in the center of the city," Veselin Gatalo, a member of the Urban Movement organization, told Reuters by telephone on Monday."This will be a monument to universal justice that Mostar needs more than any other city I know."He said Mostar, scene of fighting between Muslims and Croats in 1993-1994, needed a symbol of justice, mastery and honesty -- virtues upheld by the late Chinese-American actor.Born in San Francisco, Lee starred in several kung fu movies, including 1973's "Enter the Dragon". He died at the age of 32 from swelling on the brain.A German organization agreed last year to sponsor the project with a 5,000 euro ($6,162) grant.The statue, cast in bronze and showing the martial arts master in a typical fighting pose, will be designed by a local sculptor and put up in central Mostar.Lee's widow Linda will be invited to attend the ceremony.For years, reconciliation in post-war Mo star was slower than anywhere else in Bosnia. But the reconstruction of the city's Old Bridge last year has helped reunite Muslim and Croat communities separated by the river.Bringing people together from beyond the grave.

Comments

• There's only one (mike) (mike) MIC that you know

• Go Bruce !! Keep that shit poppin'.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Genius. Shirtstrut needs to get on this right away. Bruce Lee decal that says something like Unity Through Karate. And BTW folls I know he didn't call his shit Karate but the shit sounds good.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This is a cool story but isn't it really old? I remember hearing about this a while back.