Chef-Strut (Cooking but not exactly food, related)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Someone recommend to me a good insta-read thermometer. I got some cheapo version right now, whose idea of "insta" = a minute to get a vaguely reliable temperature. Alternatively, anyone ever cook with one of those roast thermometers, either wired or wireless, where you pre-set a desired temperature, stick the thermometer in, then wait for an alarm to go off once its reaches the correct temp? That always seemed kind of cool but is the shit actually reliable?Name your favorite cut of beef and why.Vegans need not respond to this thread.

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I don't really mess w/ thermometers, I go by feel/sight. But buy one of those old fashion silver ones w/ dials, those will do the trick. Fancy electronic esque gadgets will just break down on you. Plus cutting into your meat to check doneness, never that son!

but yeah favourite expensive cut of meat is probably rib eye. It's a good balance between beefy flavour vs texture. Filet mignon is mad overrated, people like it because it's expensive, not because of taste, of which it has very little.

favourite cheap cut of meat? Well not even meat but truly the good stuff, TRIPE!

• Someone
    Name your favorite cut

the type you ain't gotta caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwl the next mornin' and don't be makin' you pay for thur keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeds.

*teethkiss sound*

• honestly, one of the easiest temperature guages is a cake tester (essentially a small metal skewer). insert it into the meat for a few seconds, and then hold it to your wrist or upper lip. cool/lukewarm is rare, warm is medium rare, medium hot to the touch is medium, and anything too hot to hold is mid well/well. plus, you get a sense of how tender the meat is based on the resistence you feel when inserting the skewer. important for larger cuts or cuts with tougher connective tissue. plus you can be more discreet if you're trying to impress with your cooking skills.

for me, i really like tripe, but most of the bleached tripe sold in the US is not where it's at. a nice overlooked underappreciated cut (for now) is the hangar steak. kind of an odd asymetrical cut (there's only one per cow) that hangs on to the tail end of the loin. serves as an awesome steak, but can also be ground--for a really good burger or bolognese. just leave it lying around for a few days so it gets nice and stinky.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    word on the hangar steak.......aka the butcher's steak because it was once deemed an unsellable cut, hence the butcher took it home for himself.

get one at les halles on park ave........that's the move.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    those remote thermometers aren't too dope...I used one for a bit and got rid of it.

for instant read there's some good digital ones on the market...either those or a good candy thermometer.

www.chefscatalog.com is a good resource, I used to hit the store in Chicago a lot, good prices.

As far as my favorite cut...prolly the tenderloin.

• I dig my digital instant read thermometer for cooking things that take a while, like turkeys, roasts and such. Set it and forget it!

Although, for steaks and pork, the touch test is best.

Favorite cut of beef: a nice, marbled, 1" thick New York Strip can't be beat.

All of this begs the question, though: gas or charcoal?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Remember that FOODSTRUT thread from like 2-3 years ago? It was one of the first threads where I got real open in... that shit was dope.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    But buy one of those old fashion silver ones w/ dials, those will do the trick.

if you do this, dont forget to NOT leave it in while the meat is cooking for "a few more minutes." the shit will explode....whoops. we now use a wired one that magnetically sits on the outside of the oven, but can be moved around accordingly, got it as a gift so not sure where its from...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    And oh yeah, filet mignon. What the fuck? No question.

• Filet is more tender, but the strip has more flavor. I kind of go back and forth on this.

• My wife makes a nice flank steak with cilantro/almond pesto...

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    [quoteflank steak
    mmmmmm, flank steak. y'all making me hungry,

what about country fried steak, yo? what cut is that? i like that shit, with some gravy!? fugetaboutit.

and yeah, unless you are cooking a REALLY big piece of steak, you shouldnt use a thermometer. use your fingers to feel the firmess of steak. also, judge the amount of time and temperature you cook the steak by the size and desired serving temperature. and remember, the meat will continue to cook after you pull it off the grill/out of the oven.