mixer question (dub related)

mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
so i got a tape-echo, an echochord super 76, and im wondering what kind of mixer i need for this beauty.

right now i have it connected to my dj mixers output - and from the echoes output back into one of the mixer channels. (is this called loopback btw?)

this way i can feed it endlessly with its own feedback sound. pretty dope actually, it makes some really strange outerspace autobahn kinda sounds... but heres the thing: when its connected this way the feedback easily takes over, even when processing regular sounds. the echo on its own is cool and all, i mean when connected without endless feed-possibilities. but i want to be able to do those endless sci-fi kinda echoes... where it starts to distort in that lovely tape-echo way after a while.... but... without this feedback! i cant get to that lovely distortion point really, cus the feedback takes over before i get there.

so what mixer do i need to do this?

and another question; i really want to buy a wahwah pedal - im kinda tempted to buy the 95q crybaby.. but saw the 535q crybaby multi-wah that was like 20 bucks more.... and got really confused. anyone got any experience or recommendations regarding these? or any others with adjustable qs for that matter.

hope this all made sense!

Comments

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    sounds like you need something with an auxillary fx send on it. that way you can route the signal to the tape echo independently of the master signal. do want a dj mixer or a mixer?

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    sounds like you need something with an auxillary fx send on it. that way you can route the signal to the tape echo independently of the master signal. do want a dj mixer or a mixer?

nah i need a real mixer, this dj mixer setup i have now is highly temporary.

i need something fairly cheap, but at the same time im not really interested in these alto or behringer ones... maybe some of the more basic mackie models got these kinda functions i need?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    you just need an effects loop man.

iive had my crybaby wah for about 15 years now.. no complaints.

• you just need an effects loop man.

iive had my crybaby wah for about 15 years now.. no complaints.

Any way to hook up a wah pedal to the effects loop on a dj mixer? Would I just need to use a Y-shaped cord to compensate for there being a L&R on the mixer and only one plug on the wah?

no a wah pedal can't be hooked up to an effects loop.. you would need a breakout box like the Reamp to raise the signal... same way you can't plug a distortion pedal into a loop either.

stomp boxes don't have the same output as an insert effect.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    you just need an effects loop man.

isnt this what im doing tho?

mcdee

what yer curtently doing is feeding the original sound and the effected sound TOGETHER onto another track.. hence you get ridiculous feedback as the echoes are continuously being fed the orignal AND the effected sound at the same time.

an effects loop is differant. it takes an amount of the original signal, sends it to the effect and then returns only the effect. thus you could for example raise the effect send for a snare hit.. the delay will sound, you cut the send but the delay will continue to trail. the echoe will only be of the sound you sent, not the currently playing sounds thus the dealy trail won't feedback uncontrollably.

an effects loop only returns the effect not the effect PLUS the master like your doing now which results in the feedback.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    thanks for the help. so this is possible with pretty much any mixer as long as it has fx sends?

i managed to get some really cool sounds now without getting too much feedback with the dj mixer... just takes some practice to understand all the levels i guess... and i have to chill with the input from the turntable, and just do multiple takes instead... this is seriously more fun than the time i bought my first sampler.

any mixer with an effects loop is all you'll need.

but word up if you can get some dope shit goin with the existing settup than keep on rockin it.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    any mixer with an effects loop is all you'll need.

but word up if you can get some dope shit goin with the existing settup than keep on rockin it.

is effects loop a feature on mixers? isnt it the same thing as just taking the tape-echo output back into one of the mixer tracks and using the fx-send on that track?

oh wait i just realised that maybe doesnt work. does the fx-sends work even if the volume-fader of the track is down at zero volume?

hope the questions arent too stupid, i never really cared about mixers before.

the effect loop has a send control for each channel.. so if you turn the send up it sends at that time.. thus you can turn it up and right back down to just get a hit for example... if the track is muted or at 0 volume though there is nothing to send so the volume of the original channel is part of the equation. even if you have that channels send cranked to max.. if there's no audio on the channel you get no effect.