DJ union?

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I remember hearing back in the day that there used to be a nightclub performers union to make sure fools were getting paid and treated properly. I also know that there are musicians unions today, but they tend to be primarily for classical musicians and composers. I've always thought it would be tight to organize a DJ union, and after two recent dealings with questionable managers/owners have been thinking about it again today. i guess I'm partly venting, but I would love to have a list of mangers/owners/venues and rate them so people can avoid and or boycott assholes. How great would it be to strike a nightclub with an asshole owner that treats the talent like shit? I dunno, maybe it's just pipe dreaming....

Comments

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    it's just pipe dreaming....

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    it's just CRACK pipe dreaming....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There was a previous post about this.

• it's just CRACK pipe dreaming....

yeah, I figured as much. But if there were such a thing do you think people would go for it? Or are folks too apathetic/selfish/cool for this sort of thing?

::sigh::

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    You payin' due$$ to whom.

• The word SCAB would be redefined.

You think there aren't a million DJs who'd break a picket line in a heartbeat for a gig? I've seen plenty of DJs do far worse than that.

i guess I'm partly venting

• The word SCAB would be redefined.

You think there aren't a million DJs who'd break a picket line in a heartbeat for a gig? I've seen plenty of DJs do far worse than that.

that is so true it's sad.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    DJing is far too varied to standardize a pay scale and benefits - it's not like being a plumber where you show up, fix the sink, then leave and bill someone for 2 hours. There are so many different kinds of DJs, so many levels of skills, so many variables involved. Promotion, selection, reading the crowd, cutting, playing the hits, having deep crates, working the mic, "skillz" - how do you figure out who can do what and what that is worth to the owner/manager/promoter? DJs are independent contractors and we are responsible for our own insurance, transportation and other costs.

My feeling is if you can't afford to take care of yourself in ANY job, then you should think about changing careers.

• DJing is far too varied to standardize a pay scale and benefits - it's not like being a plumber where you show up, fix the sink, then leave and bill someone for 2 hours. There are so many different kinds of DJs, so many levels of skills, so many variables involved. Promotion, selection, reading the crowd, cutting, playing the hits, having deep crates, working the mic, "skillz" - how do you figure out who can do what and what that is worth to the owner/manager/promoter? DJs are independent contractors and we are responsible for our own insurance, transportation and other costs.

My feeling is if you can't afford to take care of yourself in ANY job, then you should think about changing careers.

yeah, I'm with you on that. But there's also SAG, and not all the actors in it are excellent (see: Keanu & Ahnold), same for Broadway performers.

Have you heard of this Freelancers Union ? They offer health care discounts and whatnot.

But I guess what I had in mind was less of a 'union' in the traditional sense, but maybe more like a 'playlist' of venues. Like, DJs would rate a venue based on a bunch of criteria (booth, sound, drink prices, owner/manager, etc.) This might help them make more informed choices of where to hustle gigs that would be a good fit for their style. Or avoid spots with a bad track record.

• Good idea, but then we might actually get taxed for doing gigs...? I have contemplated this sorta stuff before but in the end I'd rather get paid under the table...

• I remember hearing back in the day that there used to be a nightclub performers union to make sure fools were getting paid and treated properly. I also know that there are musicians unions today, but they tend to be primarily for classical musicians and composers.

I've always thought it would be tight to organize a DJ union, and after two recent dealings with questionable managers/owners have been thinking about it again today. i guess I'm partly venting, but I would love to have a list of mangers/owners/venues and rate them so people can avoid and or boycott assholes. How great would it be to strike a nightclub with an asshole owner that treats the talent like shit?

I dunno, maybe it's just pipe dreaming....
    You mean to tell me there isn't a union for DJ's?*
    *Note: This is in no way, shape, form or fashion a sarcastic remark.

• ayoayo 44 Posts
    Good idea, but then we might actually get taxed for doing gigs...? I have contemplated this sorta stuff before but in the end I'd rather get paid under the table...

that is a big reason but there are just too many dj's that would not join the union because its a side job/hobby for most people. they wouldnt want to pay 15% or however much to the union when they have a gig like once a month. also most dj's dont work 40 hour weeks at the same club like factory workers so there really isnt much a union could do. most dj's are hired now by promotors but in the rare case the club owner hires someone directly u think they will deal with a union demanding you get break times, and paid vacations when they can hire plenty of other people? no way

• Good idea, but then we might actually get taxed for doing gigs...? I have contemplated this sorta stuff before but in the end I'd rather get paid under the table...

yeah, but you also get to write off everything related - records, transportation, records, equipment, records, insurance, records, rent, records, utilities, records, phones, records

shit, I'm writing off my laptop and ipod this year because they comprise my new recording studio and research materials. A buddy of mine writes off money he spends at bars under 'research' as well - researching prospective venues/promoters/etc. It takes a little more work on my part, but my check from the feds next year will be

But I'm also tracking all of my income as well.

I guess a union in the long run would be a difficult thing to do, but what about that rating system I mentioned earlier? I talked to a few heads that thought it would be a good idea.