What's the dope fried chicken spot in Oakland?

DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I realized the other day that aside from homemade stuff, I don't think I've had fried chicken since I moved to Oakland. I know there's gotta be some bomb-ass fried chicken joints in Oakland, so somebody tell me what/where they are.

Comments

• I realized the other day that aside from homemade stuff, I don't think I've had fried chicken since I moved to Oakland. I know there's gotta be some bomb-ass fried chicken joints in Oakland, so somebody tell me what/where they are.
    Church's on 42nd and Telegraph

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

Church's on 42nd and Telegraph ... or am i? [/b]

cosign on that church's tho.

good samiches at genova's right near there too. be sure to order the mandrew special - prociutto, genova salami, soprasetta, hot coppa, fresh mozzarella, mendocino mustard, basil, oil n vinegar, etc

• I know there's gotta be some bomb-ass fried chicken joints in Oakland,

RACIST!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

good samiches at genova's right near there too. be sure to order the mandrew special - prociutto, genova salami, soprasetta, hot coppa, fresh mozzarella, mendocino mustard, basil, oil n vinegar, etc

I live pretty much right across the street from Genova's. I'm up in there probably three times a week. It's the closest thing to a real NYC deli I've encountered out here, and the pasta is dope as well.

Do any of the barbecue joints around here do up fried chicken? I've never even thought to look because I just want some ribs when I hit a BBQ joint.

I know there's gotta be some bomb-ass fried chicken joints in Oakland,

RACIST!

What? Like I'm gonna go to Berkeley for fried chicken?

RACIST!

What? Like I'm gonna go to Berkeley for fried chicken? for books on Tantric Sexual Healing. BECAUSE I ALREDY DID DAMNIT! WHY DO YOU THINK IM HUNGRY FOR FRIED CHICKEN NOW!?!?!

the game got realer.

• Church's on 42nd and Telegraph ... or am i? [/b]

Oh, I was kidding about the Church's. I never ate there but I used to smell it all the time because I used to live near there. It always has that freezer burned breadcrumb smell that turns my stomach.

RACIST!

What? Like I'm gonna go to Berkeley for fried chicken? for books on Tantric Sexual Healing. BECAUSE I ALREDY DID DAMNIT! WHY DO YOU THINK IM HUNGRY FOR FRIED CHICKEN NOW!?!?!

the game got realer.

Hi P*tr*c*.

RACIST!

the game got realer.

What makes you think I need books for that, P-Money?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    YO! you gotta go to Lake Merritt Restaurant and Bakery for that good fried chicken... then go to their bakery and get them chocolate on chocolate cupcakes like we had at our wedding... get busy boy!

i still go up to Richmond to get to Peoples Choice BBQ (theres a record store down the street... not much vinyl but nice to look at every now and then)

good burgers at Ahns right near the lake

theres some good chicken joints man but i cant explain how to get there i just know how to drive there...

get down east 14th into the 60s & 70s and youll find some good spots to eat

• you gotta go to Lake Merritt Restaurant and Bakery for chocolate on chocolate lovin.

Uh... ay yo?

• YO! you gotta go to Lake Merritt Restaurant and Bakery for that good fried chicken... then go to their bakery and get them chocolate on chocolate cupcakes like we had at our wedding... get busy boy!

Word big co-sign on that spot (Doesn't E-40 own that spot?) and yes your cupcakes where delicious.

RACIST!

the game got realer.

bathroom stalls @ MILK.

RACIST!

the game got realer.

bathroom stalls @ MILK.

You win this round, but I'll be back!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    and yes your cupcakes where delicious.

RACIST!

What? Like I'm gonna go to Berkeley for fried chicken?

I seriously heard that the Thai Buddhist temple has got the bomb fried chicken on Saturdays and Sundays.

RACIST!

the game got realer.

bathroom stalls @ MILK.

cosniggles

RACIST!

the game got realer.

bathroom stalls @ MILK.

cosniggles

thanks for calling me back. JERK! it's 2:34 in AM...so this post is completely meaningless.

blah

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Enki,

MERRITT's.

Game over dude. It's got my favorite fried chicken in the whole Yay. Just be sure to get it to go because they'll stick you for your paper if you eat in house.

Oliver

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Quick Way= good corn dogs

• Ahhh, another bay food thread. Dudes from elsewhere are gonna think all we do is eat. Sike... we drink, too.

So, um, yeah, I'm gonna put in another word for Home of Chicken and Waffles down at Jack London. The breast was kinda dry last night but it was still such the move at 2:30 in the a.m. Plus the waitress was so cute.

So who got the good bahn mi spot for me in Oakland? I heard there's a good one in Chinatown and I am so ready for that today.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

Oh, I was kidding about the Church's. I never ate there but I used to smell it all the time because I used to live near there. It always has that freezer burned breadcrumb smell that turns my stomach.

fried chicken: i celebrate its entire catalogue

So, um, yeah, I'm gonna put in another word for Home of Chicken and Waffles down at Jack London. The breast was kinda dry last night but it was still such the move at 2:30 in the a.m. Plus the waitress was so cute.

It's been a minute since I rolled through this Roscoe's wanna-be but last time I was there, the chicken was wack. Dry as hell. I'm telling you - if you want a juicy breast - AYO! - it's Merrit's. Unless you want to spend $20 on an order of fried chicken, in which case, there's some high end spots in SF but seriously, just go to Merritt Bakery and you're all good.

Their desserts are wack though.

• I realized the other day that aside from homemade stuff, I don't think I've had fried chicken since I moved to Oakland. I know there's gotta be some bomb-ass fried chicken joints in Oakland, so somebody tell me what/where they are.

House of Waffles & Chicken

I've only been there once but it was dope. One of my friends was passed out in her car while me and another friend ate there. They had James Brown playing, a bum came in claiming to be vice and then claimed he was the pope or some such nonsense before he was chased out. I think I was more impressed with the fact there was even a Waffles and Chicken place around here as opposed to the food being good.

justinspeak: "then go to their bakery and get them chocolate on chocolate cupcakes like we had at our wedding..."

justinspeak: "then go to their bakery and get them chocolate on chocolate cupcakes like we had at our wedding..."

Not their cupcakes but their ice cream and pies were just "eh" to me.

• for future reference...

it's been a minute since i lived there, but there's a dope spot of 880 just before you get to 14th ave. it's a breakfast type (24 hrs?) joint with some dope chicken. basically chicken and waffles, without calling it self chicken and waffles.

it used to be soul brothers kitchen on telegraph, but spot shut down.

keep on smacking.

gabe

• haha! yeah, i dont mess with merritt's bakery. but hey, there sit down menu is only high dollar after like 10pm or so. otherwise its the same price as the take out. oh, and their chicken and waffle is probably the best i ever had.

pusan mkt used to serve honey/red pepper fried chicken legs that were TASTY.

dude that mentioned genovas. is that that italian deli next door to walgreens? anyways, i know its not chicken but there are about 4 fish n chip joints right on that block that serve it southern style with the cornmeal breadcrumbs and hot sauce. cant remember the name but its right there. right next to the black muslim bakery.

• So, um, yeah, The breast was kinda dry last night but the waitress was so cute.

How much gratuity you gotta throw down for that kind of service?

• So, um, yeah, The breast was kinda dry last night but the waitress was so cute.

How much gratuity you gotta throw down for that kind of service?

Four-fours I'm tippin'