GURU question RR???

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Was Guru ever in a group or release a single before Gangstarr?I was listening to one my old radio tapes and came across a song w/ 2 mcs rhymin' over the Cymande break"BRA". One of the mcs sounded just like GURU. Its on tape so i cant post the song. I think the tape is like 86/87? Just wondering?

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    "No More Mister Nice Guy" was 89 or 90, right? I know Guru was rhyming before then, before he hooked up with Premier.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "No More Mister Nice Guy" was 89 or 90, right? I know Guru was rhyming before then, before he hooked up with Premier.

No doubt. This song has to be pre-Gangstarr. He probably spit on somethin' before he and Primo hooked up?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Dude was based in Boston.

Dude was based in Boston.

Yeah and he came to NYC. I think he might have a "Random Rap" single that cats might know about.

• Was Guru ever in a group or release a single before Gangstarr?
    I was listening to one my old radio tapes and came across a song w/ 2 mcs rhymin' over the Cymande break"BRA". One of the mcs sounded just like GURU. Its on tape so i cant post the song. I think the tape is like 86/87? Just wondering?

There are three Gang Starr singles w/ Guru & another member(s?) (DJ 1-2-B Down) before Premier joined the group:

"The Lesson" (Wild Pitch, 1987) prod. by Donald Dee
    "Bust a Move Boy" b/w "To Be a Champion" (Wild Pitch, 1987) prod. by 45 King
    "Movin On" b/w "Gusto" & "Knowledge" (Wild Pitch, 1988) prod. by 45 King

The song you heard was probably "Movin On."
    There are also two Gang Starr Posse 12s, when the original Boston-based group split & Guru went to NYC (as documented on "Da Planet"), but I don't think Guru is on either of those.

BANG,Thanx.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Was Guru ever in a group or release a single before Gangstarr?
    I was listening to one my old radio tapes and came across a song w/ 2 mcs rhymin' over the Cymande break"BRA". One of the mcs sounded just like GURU. Its on tape so i cant post the song. I think the tape is like 86/87? Just wondering?

There are three Gang Starr singles w/ Guru & another member(s?) (DJ 1-2-B Down) before Premier joined the group:

"The Lesson" (Wild Pitch, 1987) prod. by Donald Dee
    "Bust a Move Boy" b/w "To Be a Champion" (Wild Pitch, 1987) prod. by 45 King

There are also two Gang Starr Posse 12s, when the original Boston-based group split & Guru went to NYC (as documented on "Da Planet"), but I don't think Guru is on either of those.

wow. mao knows everything rap related. I bow to your knowledge.