Old video tapes question

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
So I found a bunch of my old hip hop video tapes...old breakin vids, bet, mtv, usa night flight, video vibrations, new york hot tracks etc...I was wondering if anyone knows if there's a way I can restore these old tapes. The trackings really bad on some of em but I don't want to just throw em away without knowing what my options are. Thanks..

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Get a professional time base corrector. Put the tapes in a really good professional vcr, run em through the time base corrector and burn em to DVDs. The time base corrector will keep the picture solid and keep the colors from bleeding too much. ALWAYS use a time base corrector when dubbing tapes. It corrects the video signal from the play deck and send a good solid strong signal to your record source. Make sure you use all s-vhs cables as well. Sharper picture, less color bleed. Don't use rca cable for the video signal.

• "Get a professional time base corrector."

good lookin on the advice chan...I bid on a sony one, don't know if i'm gonna win it though....hopefully I'll have fresh dvd's of all my old school hip hop ish!!!!

• Get a professional time base corrector. Put the tapes in a really good professional vcr, run em through the time base corrector and burn em to DVDs. The time base corrector will keep the picture solid and keep the colors from bleeding too much. ALWAYS use a time base corrector when dubbing tapes. It corrects the video signal from the play deck and send a good solid strong signal to your record source. Make sure you use all s-vhs cables as well. Sharper picture, less color bleed. Don't use rca cable for the video signal.

any suggestions as to what brands/makes? I got a gang of DMC videos I'd like to preserve? Also, and recommendations for video cards for a PowerBook? I know you need a special converter or something of that nature.

• I have heard some good words about these DVD recorders:
    http://www.liteonit.com/

Of course, to have quality DVD's you're going to need a decent VCD to track it well.

But if you're tech-savvy, perhaps doing some editing on your computer would be better, so you can eliminate whatever you don't want.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Get a professional time base corrector. Put the tapes in a really good professional vcr, run em through the time base corrector and burn em to DVDs. The time base corrector will keep the picture solid and keep the colors from bleeding too much. ALWAYS use a time base corrector when dubbing tapes. It corrects the video signal from the play deck and send a good solid strong signal to your record source. Make sure you use all s-vhs cables as well. Sharper picture, less color bleed. Don't use rca cable for the video signal.

any suggestions as to what brands/makes? I got a gang of DMC videos I'd like to preserve? Also, and recommendations for video cards for a PowerBook? I know you need a special converter or something of that nature.

as far as capturing video w/ your powerbook try one of these...

PYRO A/V Link

I've been using this for converting old home movies to DVD. Just "get" final cut and your set.