Better get those AK-47s now

BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
That was a joke. Radio frequency identification (RFID) technology is used around the world in everyday consumer products from produce to beer kegs to DVDs. Increasingly it is being tested as a method to track people and in schools, prisons and transit systems.Most disturbing to privacy advocates and civil libertarians are US government proposals to use RFID tags in passports and drivers??? licenses, and in a new pilot program launched this summer that has placed RFID tags in immigrants??? visas.RFID devices, from pinhead sized minichips to flat tags inserted into a piece of paper, contain miniscule antennas that pass the information it contains after entering the range of a scanning device. Most RFID technology in use now is ???passive,??? which means it does not contain an internal power supply and can only transmit information from a distance of up to about 30 feet. ???Active??? tags have an internal power source, can be read from further distances, and can store information sent from a transceiver.In August of this year, the Department of Homeland Security began testing RFID tags at five border crossings under the United States Visitor and Immigrant Status Indicator Technology program, or ???US VISIT.???http://www.guerrillanews.com/headlines/4784/Electronic_Tags_Used_to_Track_Immigrants

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Lets not everybody freak out now guys. COme on.

• COULDNT YOU FUCK 'EM UP BY SUBMITING IT TO AN X RAY OR SOMETHING?

• COULDNT YOU FUCK 'EM UP BY SUBMITING IT TO AN X RAY OR SOMETHING?

I think I'll be microwaving my next license.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    You could just re-write the RFID tag with whatever you want. Article from over a year ago showing how easy rfid is to hack. RF-dump.org doesn't seem to be responding right now though.

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20040729_131430.html

• RF-dump.org doesn't seem to be responding right now though.
    RF-dump.org doesn't seem to be responding right now though.
    RF-dump.org doesn't seem to be responding right now though.