Millionth and One reason to hate W

TwoturntablesTwoturntables 58 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Bush lifts wage rules for KatrinaPresident signs executive order allowing contractors to pay below prevailing wage in affected areas.WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush issued an executive order Thursday allowing federal contractors rebuilding in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina to pay below the prevailing wage. In a notice to Congress, Bush said the hurricane had caused "a national emergency" that permits him to take such action under the 1931 Davis-Bacon Act in ravaged areas of Alabama, Florida, Louisiana and Mississippi. The Davis-Bacon law requires federal contractors to pay workers at least the prevailing wages in the area where the work is conducted. It applies to federally funded construction projects such as highways and bridges. Bush's executive order suspends the requirements of the Davis-Bacon law for designated areas hit by the storm. Bush's action came as the federal government moved to provide billions of dollars in aid, and drew rebukes from two of organized labor's biggest friends in Congress, Rep. George Miller of California and Sen. Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts, both Democrats. "The administration is using the devastation of Hurricane Katrina to cut the wages of people desperately trying to rebuild their lives and their communities," Miller said. "President Bush should immediately realize the colossal mistake he has made in signing this order and rescind it and ensure that America puts its people back to work in the wake of Katrina at wages that will get them and their families back on their feet," Miller said. "I regret the president's decision," said Kennedy. "One of the things the American people are very concerned about is shabby work and that certainly is true about the families whose houses are going to be rebuilt and buildings that are going to be restored," Kennedy said.

Comments

• Jesus fuckin christ... The disenchantment grows...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Bush lifts wage rules for Katrina

President signs executive order allowing contractors to pay below prevailing wage in affected areas.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush issued an executive order Thursday allowing federal contractors rebuilding in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina to pay below the prevailing wage.

In a notice to Congress, Bush said the hurricane had caused "a national emergency" that permits him to take such action under the 1931 Davis-Bacon Act in ravaged areas of Alabama, Florida, Louisiana and Mississippi.

The Davis-Bacon law requires federal contractors to pay workers at least the prevailing wages in the area where the work is conducted. It applies to federally funded construction projects such as highways and bridges.

Bush's executive order suspends the requirements of the Davis-Bacon law for designated areas hit by the storm.

Bush's action came as the federal government moved to provide billions of dollars in aid, and drew rebukes from two of organized labor's biggest friends in Congress, Rep. George Miller of California and Sen. Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts, both Democrats.

"The administration is using the devastation of Hurricane Katrina to cut the wages of people desperately trying to rebuild their lives and their communities," Miller said.

"President Bush should immediately realize the colossal mistake he has made in signing this order and rescind it and ensure that America puts its people back to work in the wake of Katrina at wages that will get them and their families back on their feet," Miller said.

"I regret the president's decision," said Kennedy.

"One of the things the American people are very concerned about is shabby work and that certainly is true about the families whose houses are going to be rebuilt and buildings that are going to be restored," Kennedy said.

What's the source on this, please?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    "Cuz these people are going to have to work extra hard and the less you pay someone the harder they have to work."
    - The Little Voice in W's Head

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    "Cuz these people are going to have to work extra hard and the less you pay someone the harder they have to work."

I guarantee you this is Bush's way of greasing his Corporate friend's palms by allowing them to hire undocumented workers by the boatload for the rebuilding. Who are also not union, have no representation/rights and does little for the actual citizens who lost their jobs and homes on the Gulf Coast. The problems seriously multiply.

I guarantee you this is Bush's way of greasing his Corporate friend's palms by allowing them to hire undocumented workers by the boatload for the rebuilding. Who are also not union, have no representation/rights and does little for the actual citizens who lost their jobs and homes on the Gulf Coast. The problems seriously multiply.

Man I can only imagine that talk.............

"heh heh....well fellas I blew the pooch on this one...heh heh....I know all your businesses/property is under water but I'm gonna make it up to you. uhhhhhh how about if I give you all that cheap unprotected labor your always wanting. This is the excuse we need fellas! No one will question my athoriti. This isn't a bad thing, it's just god's way of giving us another tax break. Mommy said those people are doing pretty good anyhow."

• Dont worry. The "Market" will magically fix everything. It always does.

Dont worry. The "Market" will magically fix everything. It always does.

That's the FREE market you commie bastard!!!!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I heard about this on NPR this morning (BTW if y'all wake up feeling like y'all want to go back to bed, listen to NPR that shit'll fire you up).

this shit had me fuming. First thought in my mind was "Damn so this is how we keep the poor looking poor,and once this is done Bush will show up looking like the great hero for rebuilding this shit on the non-insured poor below poverty hands of workers who cared enough to accept this job and make this happen"

(BTW if y'all wake up feeling like y'all want to go back to bed, listen to NPR that shit'll fire you up).

Oh man I've been having to do rapid fire snooze before I hear anything!

• Someone mentioned this in another thread and I was trying to remember where I had heard something similar. So, I go to lunch and remember that it was when the Department of Homeland Security was formed, all new employees, and all existing employees that were swallowed by DHS were denied the right to unionize (and if I remember correctly they were also stripped of some other traditional "civil service" protections). If anyone remembers more detail, please add on...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Goddamit, Bush must go. How about forcing the oil companies to lower prices to keep inflation in check.

• Goddamit, Bush must go. How about forcing the oil companies to lower prices to keep inflation in check.

hahahahahahahaa please... Wht antasy world are you livin in? This is Bushland damnit oil = money = power... get it straight.