Baltimore Sun op-ed calls for removal of Bush adm.

Rod_TorfulsonRod_Torfulson 464 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
After Katrina fiasco, time for Bush to goBy Gordon AdamsOriginally published September 8, 2005WASHINGTON - The disastrous federal response to Katrina exposes a record of incompetence, misjudgment and ideological blinders that should lead to serious doubts that the Bush administration should be allowed to continue in office. When taxpayers have raised, borrowed and spent $40 billion to $50 billion a year for the past four years for homeland security but the officials at the Federal Emergency Management Agency cannot find their own hands in broad daylight for four days while New Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf Coast swelter, drown and die, it is time for them to go. When funding for water works and levees in the gulf region is repeatedly cut by an administration that seems determined to undermine the public responsibility for infrastructure in America, despite clear warnings that the infrastructure could not survive a major storm, it seems clear someone is playing politics with the public trust. When rescue and medical squads are sitting in Manassas and elsewhere in northern Virginia and foreign assistance waits at airports because the government can't figure out how to insure the workers, how to use the assistance or which jurisdiction should be in charge, it is time for the administration to leave town. When President Bush stays on vacation and attends social functions for two days in the face of disaster before finally understanding that people are starving, crying out and dying, it is time for him to go. When FEMA officials cannot figure out that there are thousands stranded at the New Orleans convention center - where people died and were starving - and fussed ineffectively about the same problems in the Superdome, they should be fired, not praised, as the president praised FEMA Director Michael Brown in New Orleans last week. When Mr. Bush states publicly that "nobody could anticipate a breach of the levee" while New Orleans journalists, Scientific American, National Geographic, academic researchers and Louisiana politicians had been doing precisely that for decades, right up through last year and even as Hurricane Katrina passed over, he should be laughed out of town as an impostor. When repeated studies of New Orleans make it clear that tens of thousands of people would be unable to evacuate the city in case of a flood, lacking both money and transportation, but FEMA makes no effort before the storm to commandeer buses and move them to safety, it is time for someone to be given his walking papers. When the president makes Sen. Trent Lott's house in Pascagoula, Miss., the poster child for rebuilding while hundreds of thousands are bereft of housing, jobs, electricity and security, he betrays a careless insensitivity that should banish him from office. When the president of the United States points the finger away from the lame response of his administration to Katrina and tries to finger local officials in New Orleans and Baton Rouge, La., as the culprits, he betrays the unwillingness of this administration to speak truth and hold itself accountable. As in the case of the miserable execution of policy in Iraq, Mr. Bush and Karl Rove always have some excuse for failure other than their own misjudgments. We have a president who is apparently ill-informed, lackadaisical and narrow-minded, surrounded by oil baron cronies, religious fundamentalist crazies and right-wing extremists and ideologues. He has appointed officials who give incompetence new meaning, who replace the positive role of government with expensive baloney. They rode into office in a highly contested election, spouting a message of bipartisanship but determined to undermine the federal government in every way but defense (and, after 9/11, one presumed, homeland security). One with Grover Norquist, they were determined to shrink Washington until it was "small enough to drown in a bathtub." Katrina has stripped the veil from this mean-spirited strategy, exposing the greed, mindlessness and sheer profiteering behind it. It is time to hold them accountable - this ugly, troglodyte crowd of Capital Beltway insiders, rich lawyers, ideologues, incompetents and their strap-hangers should be tarred, feathered and ridden gracefully and mindfully out of Washington and returned to their caves, clubs in hand. Gordon Adams, director of security policy studies at the Elliott School of International Affairs at George Washington University, was senior White House budget official for national security in the Clinton administration.

Comments

• I'm glad views like this are getting press in the mainstream media.

It's good to see not everyone is blinded by a little religious lip service.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    a few hours ago I was talking with my play-grandma about how Bush has quite the track record of running businesses into the ground.

good to know he's keeping the streak alive

• a few hours ago I was talking with my play-grandma

Guzzo, that is not a jew-fro, that's got to be a real fro you have.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I think I got more play cousins than real cousins

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    This is exactly what needs to go down. More honesty and decisiveness. I could run this government better than any of these clown ever could.

• I think I got more play cousins than real cousins

real fro.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    This is exactly what needs to go down. More honesty and decisiveness.

thers been a lot made lately of the national press finally getting off the neo-con dick and acting like an actual press corp.

Better late than never

• Who should be President?

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Who should be President?

If this is meant to be sarcastic, you need to quit while you're still ahead.

Asprin, ever responsible... and no fun. j/k

NOT AT ALL. I would like to hear people throw some names out there.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Who should be President?

Al Gore.

• Al Gore.

He always seemed like a weak choice, like a democratic Dick Cheney.

It's hard to tell though, really, when you pick a President you're picking their whole crew, so who knows.

Rey,

Why do always act sarcastic then when someone calls you out on it you pretend you were being serious?

I'm not trying to be an asshole, it's just that this sarcasm act has been going on for so long now that I've lost track of your true intentions. In short, I'm confused. (And I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one.)

Herm

• Wait, I'm confused. I figure since we are discussing deposing Bush we might as well have a simultaneous discussion about who we might like to see in his place. What's the fuss about? I'm the gadfly.

• Wait, I'm confused. I figure since we are discussing deposing Bush we might as well have a simultaneous discussion about who we might like to see in his place. What's the fuss about? I'm the gadfly.

Nevermind. At least I tried.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Al Gore.

He always seemed like a weak choice, like a democratic Dick Cheney.

It's hard to tell though, really, when you pick a President you're picking their whole crew, so who knows.

I don't really know how to respond to that. I can't think of anything similar between the two offhand that couldn't be said about any vice president. Did you see any of his speeches after Bush won in 2000? Dude went on a rampage. Once he no longer had to hold his tongue out of fear of political reprisal, he started pointing out things about Bush and his administration that many people are only now starting to acknowledge.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I think it's some "Boy Who Cried Wolf" ish because everyone kind of assumes that Rey's not being serious. But I didn't take what he said as being sarcastic in this case.

I don't know, you don't hear inflections when reading text.

Rey, maybe let it be known that you're being serious to help set the tone of the convo.

And a MEGA right on to the guy who wrote that article.

Now let's see what happens...

• I don't really know how to respond to that. I can't think of anything similar between the two offhand that couldn't be said about any vice president. Did you see any of his speeches after Bush won in 2000? Dude went on a rampage. Once he no longer had to hold his tongue out of fear of political reprisal, he started pointing out things about Bush and his administration that many people are only now starting to acknowledge.

Nah, I've never really seen him get heated. He just always seemed to be a little bland in the personality department. Not that personality determines performance, but but seems people expect a charismatic leader. He just always seemed blah to me, although some of his recent actions have been impressive.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Al Gore?

yes plaese.

• And a MEGA right on to the guy who wrote that article.
    Now let's see what happens...

No dissention from God's Holy Plan.

• Maybe, but with the majority of the country's vote going for George Bush (uhhh, sorta), how likely is that?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Boosh's approval rate has dropped after the last couple of weeks.

Let a man come in and do the (political) popcorn.

• Boosh's approval rate has dropped after the last couple of weeks.

True, but they still backed him at one point. Conservative church-goer anti-gays? I dunno man.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Boosh's approval rate has dropped after the last couple of weeks.

True, but they still backed him at one point. Conservative church-goer anti-gays? I dunno man.

Wha? Maybe I need to do some more research.

I'm not down with any anti-gay stance.

Alright fuck it, how about this guy:

At least more people would get laid if he were president.

Really though, I have no fucking clue who should run this mess.

While looking for that jpeg I found this site with some good video clips on all this.

• Wha? Maybe I need to do some more research.
    I'm not down with any anti-gay stance.

No no, not Obama (I don't know what his stance is), I'm referring to all the voters who backed Bush and his anti-gay marriage platform.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    After Katrina fiasco, time for Bush to go
    By Gordon Adams
    Originally published September 8, 2005

WASHINGTON - The disastrous federal response to Katrina exposes a
    record of incompetence, misjudgment and ideological blinders that
    should lead to serious doubts that the Bush administration should
    be allowed to continue in office.

When taxpayers have raised, borrowed and spent $40 billion to $50
    billion a year for the past four years for homeland security but
    the officials at the Federal Emergency Management Agency cannot
    find their own hands in broad daylight for four days while New
    Orleans and the Mississippi Gulf Coast swelter, drown and die,
    it is time for them to go.

When funding for water works and levees in the gulf region is
    repeatedly cut by an administration that seems determined to
    undermine the public responsibility for infrastructure in
    America, despite clear warnings that the infrastructure
    could not survive a major storm, it seems clear someone
    is playing politics with the public trust.

When rescue and medical squads are sitting in Manassas
    and elsewhere in northern Virginia and foreign assistance
    waits at airports because the government can't figure out
    how to insure the workers, how to use the assistance or which
    jurisdiction should be in charge, it is time for the
    administration to leave town.

When President Bush stays on vacation and attends social
    functions for two days in the face of disaster before
    finally understanding that people are starving, crying out
    and dying, it is time for him to go.

When FEMA officials cannot figure out that there are
    thousands stranded at the New Orleans convention center
    - where people died and were starving - and fussed ineffectively
    about the same problems in the Superdome, they should be
    fired, not praised, as the president praised FEMA Director
    Michael Brown in New Orleans last week.

When Mr. Bush states publicly that "nobody could anticipate a
    breach of the levee" while New Orleans journalists, Scientific
    American, National Geographic, academic researchers and Louisiana
    politicians had been doing precisely that for decades, right up
    through last year and even as Hurricane Katrina passed over,
    he should be laughed out of town as an impostor.

When repeated studies of New Orleans make it clear that
    tens of thousands of people would be unable to evacuate the
    city in case of a flood, lacking both money and transportation
    , but FEMA makes no effort before the storm to commandeer buses
    and move them to safety, it is time for someone
    to be given his walking papers.

When the president makes Sen. Trent Lott's house in Pascagoula, Miss.,
    the poster child for rebuilding while hundreds of thousands are
    bereft of housing, jobs, electricity and security, he betrays a
    careless insensitivity that should banish him from office.

When the president of the United States points the finger away
    from the lame response of his administration to Katrina and tries
    to finger local officials in New Orleans and Baton Rouge, La., as
    the culprits, he betrays the unwillingness of this administration
    to speak truth and hold itself accountable. As in the case of the
    miserable execution of policy in Iraq, Mr. Bush and Karl Rove
    always have some excuse for failure other than their own misjudgments.

We have a president who is apparently ill-informed, lackadaisical
    and narrow-minded, surrounded by oil baron cronies, religious
    fundamentalist crazies and right-wing extremists and ideologues.
    He has appointed officials who give incompetence new meaning,
    who replace the positive role of government with expensive baloney.

They rode into office in a highly contested election, spouting
    a message of bipartisanship but determined to undermine
    the federal government in every way but defense
    (and, after 9/11, one presumed, homeland security). One with Grover
    Norquist, they were determined to shrink Washington until it
    was "small enough to drown in a bathtub." Katrina has stripped
    the veil from this mean-spirited strategy, exposing
    the greed, mindlessness and sheer profiteering behind it.

It is time to hold them accountable - this ugly, troglodyte crowd of
    Capital Beltway insiders, rich lawyers, ideologues, incompetents
    and their strap-hangers should be tarred, feathered and ridden
    gracefully and mindfully out of Washington and returned to
    their caves, clubs in hand.

Gordon Adams, director of security policy studies at the Elliott School of International Affairs at George Washington University, was senior White House budget official for national security in the Clinton administration.

I was wondering when someone would say it. Seriously, what do these fuckers have to do, y'know? If a natural disaster of a similar nature hit somewhere like Sheffield or Birmingham, UK cities comparable in size to NOLA, and Tony Blair and his government responded in the same "who, me?" kind of way Bush has, he'd have resigned by now. Shit, he'd have had to resign, or else a mob would have marched on Downing Street and physically hauled him out of there. People need to start making a noise about this - use every opportunity to call for his resignation. He'll probably ignore it, but at least that way the whole disgusting episode won't be allowed to fade into the background and enable him to spend the rest of his term in office with his feet up.

• Did you see any of his speeches after Bush won in 2000? Dude went on a rampage.

That was the problem. He shoulda been doin' that before the election not after.

~Crates

• he should be laughed out of town as an impostor. [/b]