David Banner on the Hurricane

TheeeCasualMaleTheeeCasualMale 2,564 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central

"I think Hurricane Katrina has exposed America for what it is. I think it's bigger than black and white. I think it has a lot more to do with rich and poor. We've always known that America is a racially driven country. We front like it's all good, but we know the levels of racism that are in America. I think this is more than just pulling the race card. It shows that America doesn't give a damn about people in the hood, period.

If this same thing happened in New York, they'd probably be out there mopping themselves. When 9/11 happened, there was help on 9/12. We sent billions of dollars overseas when the tsunami happened. You know, this is our home. We break our necks to help other people, and we fight for oil, but we can't help our people right here in Mississippi. Mississippi is definitely not getting the relief funds that they really need because we're not getting the TV time. There's cities in South Mississippi like Pass Christian, Long Beach, Biloxi, and Gulfport that are just gone. And these are just regular, ordinary folks. White, black, rich, poor. These are places where our grandmothers and grandfathers stay. There's history in these towns.

America is the most powerful country in the world, but it takes us four days to get there? The things they did four days later are the same things they could've done when it happened, period. They coulda flown helicopters in there or something. America is the most powerful country and the proudest country when it feels like it. They said they couldn't get down there for different reasons, but those were just excuses. I sent a tour bus full of water down there. My bus driver paid with his own Mastercard. I told him to go ahead and buy whatever they needed and I'd pay him back. He filled the tour bus up twice with water, food, and supplies before the American government did. He drove down there from Memphis. Then I came down there myself and I sat and signed autographs and passed out water to the kids for four, five hours myself. How can David Banner, a so-called "gangsta rapper," react quicker to a crisis than our own government?

There's still people in Mississippi without power right now. The water is still not drinkable from the faucets. Then you've got places like the Red Cross using preferential treatment with the stuff people had donated. I had cats from the streets telling me they gave all the better clothes to the little white kids. There's people who are coming city to city and can't get water or food from the Red Cross without a little armband. We're having a national crisis. If people need food and supplies, you should give it to them.

The bigger picture is that we're gonna have to take care of our own people. We're having a big benefit concert September 17th at Phillips Arena in Atlanta. We're trying to raise $1.5 million. This is the first time that every radio station - Cumulus, Infinity, and Clear Channel - all came together, working together with no egos. T.I. got on the radio station and challenged everybody - all the football players and record company execs - and he raised $255,000 in two hours.

I'm glad Kanye said what he said on NBC. The President never gave a damn about black folks. I mean, we knew that already. That's not a surprise. It was the perfect time for him to say it. Personally, I believe that if CNN had showed more white people stuck in New Orleans, the government would've reacted quicker.
I blame Bush for the time it took for them to react to the situation. I blame Bush for not taking this situation as seriously as they did after 9/11. This is ten times worse than 9/11. These are communities; whole cities of people, just gone. We're talking about cities, not just a building. We're talking about a whole coast of people. These are the same states that helped assure that Bush was gonna get in office, and then he turned his back on them. Where was he when we needed him? This is our President!

In the Art of War they tell you that the best way to control the people is through chaos. Most people make their decisions when something happens that sways them emotionally. So maybe this is God's blessing. We as American people, no matter what race you are, we see that now we're gonna have to set up better systems to protect the poor. All these organizations that we're forming now need to stay in tact. We're gonna have to be prepared to take care of our own. And we're gonna have to make sure that these relief funds go to people who buy our records and support us and come to our concerts. Those are the families that I have to be concerned about first, because those are the families that put me in the position I'm in now.

There's a lot more we can do as artists, but I'm really, really proud of the rappers who have stepped up to help. I can honestly say that we've concentrated so much on helping because it's in our hearts and it's the right thing to do, but we don't get the publicity for it. We're gonna have to make sure people see the efforts these rappers are making, because every time somebody gets shot or something negative happens at one of our concerts, they make sure they publicize it."

- David Banner (OZONE Magazine Sept 2005)

Comments

• awallawall 673 Posts
    TRUTH

• dayday 9,612 Posts

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    How can David Banner, a so-called "gangsta rapper," react quicker to a crisis than our own government?

How can David Banner, a so-called "gangsta rapper," react quicker to a crisis than our own government?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    First his awesome calling out of record company sleaze at the industry showcase , now this - I've barely ever listened to the dude's records, and I'm becoming his biggest fan.

Here's a link to MP3 of full audio of the interview, from a post of Shig's a couple of days ago:

David Banner Speaks Truth

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Well said. David Banner is that dude.

• "I think Hurricane Katrina has exposed America for what it is. I think it's bigger than black and white. I think it has a lot more to do with rich and poor.

What? Economics? Where have I heard this before?

• ericeric 155 Posts
    I believe that if CNN had showed more white people stuck in New Orleans, the government would've reacted quicker.
    I blame Bush for the time it took for them to react to the situation. I blame Bush for not taking this situation as seriously as they did after 9/11. This is ten times worse than 9/11.

I'm really bored of that black,white,yellow,red,catholic,muslim,jew or whatever shit, are'nt we all human?
    9/11 is a masscarade that helped the bush administration to go on crusade again'st afghanistan,irak.
    It was a opportunity for them.
    American people voted for bush,2 times, so now they pay the price.

America is the most powerful country in the world

Come one, that's childish reaction,who care who's the strongest in the galaxy,the strongest don't mean the smartest.
    Even if he is the strongest,why america have lost most of there war since the second world war.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

You don't live here, man.

I didn't vote for that motherfucker so my family and I should "pay the price"?

fuck you.

go back to lurking.

• You don't live here, man.

I didn't vote for that motherfucker so my family and I should "pay the price"?

fuck you.

go back to lurking.

Co-Sizzle

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I believe that if CNN had showed more white people stuck in New Orleans, the government would've reacted quicker.

I blame Bush for the time it took for them to react to the situation. I blame Bush for not taking this situation as seriously as they did after 9/11. This is ten times worse than 9/11.

I'm really bored of that black,white,yellow,red,catholic,muslim,jew or whatever shit, are'nt we all human?

9/11 is a masscarade that helped the bush administration to go on crusade again'st afghanistan,irak.

Come one, that's childish reaction,who care who's the strongest in the galaxy,the strongest don't mean the smartest.

Even if he is the strongest,why america have lost most of there war since the second world war.

I fucking swear, all these self righteous people from other countries talking shit about how "we deserve it", man what the fuck do you know? I mean really.

You think the people who vote (and those that rig them) actually represent the people in this country? Come on man.

You motherfuckers worship and bite our style and then have the nerve to say we deserve THIS?

FUCK YOU.[/b]

• And even if someone did vote for bush, saying that this is the price they have to pay for that is fuckin rotten.

• ericeric 155 Posts
    i'dont say american people deserve it,i'm just saying that people in america pay the price for such a dumb ass.

I'm from a outside country but that's what give me a different point of view of what's happening in america and what is governement is trying to do.

This is no longer a democratic country

America need a coup d'etats.

Don't be that agressiv,i'm just pissed against that bush administration that don't do shit for is own citizen,all they can do is go to war,for oil and money.

Don't be angry agains't mem,but agains't your governement.

• i'dont say american people deserve it,i'm just saying that people in america pay the price for such a dumb ass.
    I'm from a outside country but that's what give me a different point of view of what's happening in america and what is governement is trying to do.

Don't be that agressiv,i'm just pissed against that bush administration that don't do shit for is own citizen,all they can do is go to war,for oil and money.

• ericeric 155 Posts
    come on boy , speak french with me,let's see what you can do

• ericeric 155 Posts
    by the way i never had english course, i learned it by my self.

• There's a lot more we can do as artists, but I'm really, really proud of the rappers who have stepped up to help. I can honestly say that we've concentrated so much on helping because it's in our hearts and it's the right thing to do, but we don't get the publicity for it. We're gonna have to make sure people see the efforts these rappers are making, because every time somebody gets shot or something negative happens at one of our concerts, they make sure they publicize it."
    - David Banner (OZONE Magazine Sept 2005)

REAL SPEAK

eric, fall back, this post is about David Banner and what he has to say, no one cares about your opinion, whatever you think you know about America, over here we don't give a fuck about anything you have to say about our president or our country's problems.

• "I think Hurricane Katrina has exposed America for what it is. I think it's bigger than black and white. I think it has a lot more to do with rich and poor.

What? Economics? Where have I heard this before?

I think david banner has a degree in econ from the University of Maryland. Dude isn't a slouch he is a pretty smart individual.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

I fucking swear, all these self righteous people from other countries talking shit about how "we deserve it", man what the fuck do you know? I mean really.
    You think the people who vote (and those that rig them) actually represent the people in this country? Come on man.
    You motherfuckers worship and bite our style and then have the nerve to say we deserve THIS?

FUCK YOU.[/b]

COFUCKIN SIGN BIG UP DAY!

• American people voted for bush,2 times, so now they pay the price.

go suck on a can of Montana

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    eric, fall back, this post is about David Banner and what he has to say, no one cares about your opinion, whatever you think you know about America, over here we don't give a fuck about anything you have to say about our president or our country's problems.

I'm not taking sides here, but this is one of your countrys biggest problem. A lot of you criticize Bush and his administration, but as soon as someone not american criticize the same thing you get all defensive. And saying you don't give a fuck about what others mean is just stupid and ignorant. The whole world has to live with your president believing he's a worldwide sherriff, and he fucking believe that is in the name of God. He talks about freedom and dignity, but it seems like that only apply for people who have it already. Please, don't take this personal, but it just feels like a lot of americans believe they're the true center of the world. There is no such thing as a center besides the one in our minds.

But back to the original post. I think it's good Banner speaks up, and that more rappers, musicians and artists do that. The public needs this because our society is build in a way that famous people get more heard than the regular guy on the street.

• i'dont say american people deserve it,i'm just saying that people in america pay the price for such a dumb ass.

Thanks for explaining yourself, Eric. I see your points much more clearly now.

Also, FUCK YOU.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    by the way i never had english course, i learned it by my self.

get a refund

• eric, fall back, this post is about David Banner and what he has to say, no one cares about your opinion, whatever you think you know about America, over here we don't give a fuck about anything you have to say about our president or our country's problems.

I'm not taking sides here, but this is one of your countrys biggest problem. A lot of you criticize Bush and his administration, but as soon as someone not american criticize the same thing you get all defensive. And saying you don't give a fuck about what others mean is just stupid and ignorant. The whole world has to live with your president believing he's a worldwide sherriff, and he fucking believe that is in the name of God. He talks about freedom and dignity, but it seems like that only apply for people who have it already. Please, don't take this personal, but it just feels like a lot of americans believe they're the true center of the world. There is no such thing as a center besides the one in our minds.

But back to the original post. I think it's good Banner speaks up, and that more rappers, musicians and artists do that. The public needs this because our society is build in a way that famous people get more heard than the regular guy on the street.

I think it was the smug, condescending attitude that got on folks nerves. Us American Sheoples will NEVER be quite as enlightened as our Europen counter-parts.

• One more thing, Generalizing is a bitch. I lived with a bunch of European folks last year. I got alot of "You Americans" diatribes thrown at me. If you hate Bush, join the fucking club; but please don't fall into the People=Leaders rut.

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    One more thing, Generalizing is a bitch. I lived with a bunch of European folks last year. I got alot of "You Americans" diatribes thrown at me. If you hate Bush, join the fucking club; but please don't fall into the People=Leaders rut.

which works both ways, don't let this foll (eric) be anyone's idea of 'european folk'

• yall need to chill the fuck out.
    vagabond, i hope youre not generalizing yourself based on your roomate experience.
    eric came off in a condescending way on sensitive topics...but it didnt warrant the reactions he got from most of you. especially the random vultures who just chimed in on some kiddie shit after Day. dude fuckin taught himself english, tell him he's being disrecpectful with his tone of voice and give him another chance to explain himself. Yall are being condescending and ignorant as shit too. reminds me of many threads where vitamin and other conservatives would have intelligent (although highly suspect) things to say and people would tell him to shut up, fuck off or throw petty insults.
    this might not have been the right thread for it, but erics definitely got a different perspective that our debates can benefit from.
    stop stifling people motherfuckers. pull em up, dont chop em down

yall (eric included) took a thread with some important shit and let it degenerate into some playground gang up shit. sit in the corner and come back when yall can conversate right

• Tony's an Italian commie though

Hi Tony!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    yall need to chill the fuck out.
    vagabond, i hope youre not generalizing yourself based on your roomate experience.
    eric came off in a condescending way on sensitive topics...but it didnt warrant the reactions he got from most of you. especially the random vultures who just chimed in on some kiddie shit after Day. dude fuckin taught himself english, tell him he's being disrecpectful with his tone of voice and give him another chance to explain himself. Yall are being condescending and ignorant as shit too. reminds me of many threads where vitamin and other conservatives would have intelligent (although highly suspect) things to say and people would tell him to shut up, fuck off or throw petty insults.
    this might not have been the right thread for it, but erics definitely got a different perspective that our debates can benefit from.
    stop stifling people motherfuckers. pull em up, dont chop em down

yall (eric included) took a thread with some important shit and let it degenerate into some playground gang up shit. sit in the corner and come back when yall can conversate right

Very real words.

Still waiting on recipies, tho

Peace

h

• Tony's an Italian commie though

Hi Tony!

hush now, you swarthy gypsy

haz, im going to send that shit right now!!!