New Orleans Begins Confiscating Firearms

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
New Orleans Begins Confiscating Firearms as Water Recedes[/b]

By ALEX BERENSON and TIMOTHY WILLIAMS
Published: September 8, 2005

NEW ORLEANS, Sept. 8

Waters were receding across this flood-beaten city today as police officers began confiscating weapons[/b], including legally registered firearms, from civilians in preparation for a mass forced evacuation of the residents still living here.

No civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to carry pistols, shotguns, or other firearms[/b], said P. Edwin Compass, the superintendent of police. "Only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons,"[/b] he said.

But that order apparently does not apply to the hundreds of security guards whom businesses and some wealthy individuals have hired to protect their property. The guards, who are civilians working for private security firms like Blackwater, are openly carrying M-16's and other assault rifles. Mr. Compass said he was aware of the private guards, but that the police had no plans to make them give up their weapons.

Nearly two weeks after the floods began, New Orleans has turned into an armed camp, patrolled by thousands of local, state, and federal law enforcement officers, as well as National Guard troops and active-duty soldiers. While armed looters roamed unchecked last week, the city is now calm...

taken from The New York Times

Can they do that?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Call out the militias.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    2nd admendment Violation right there.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Call out the militias.

Seriously though, can they legally do that? Isn't that going against a constitutional ammendment? Or is it because they declared martial law after the storm?

Someone school me.

• I dunno but the wackos in the milita groups are not looking so much like wackos anymore...

• There is also no legal way in hell that the government can force you to leave your own property.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    There is also no legal way in hell that the government can force you to leave your own property.

governments are not known for doing legal things when they're cornered, or feel so.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    With most of the occupants of the city evacuated and everything calm (according to the article), why would you need to seize weapons from citizens?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,

the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

There's gonna be some drama over this one. Especially once Jethro and co. get wind of it.

There is also no legal way in hell that the government can force you to leave your own property.

Under martial law, anything is possible.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Shit is going from frustrating to depressing to scary to unpredictable in no time.

• WOW, this whole thing is not looking good for our constitutional rights. How is this whole think gonna wash out once this is over? Is it going to be used as precident to disarm us as citizens for any old reason thefeds want to? And why aren't these "guards " being disarmed too? Really is stinking of some new world order shit. I mean fair is fair if civilians can't have guns in martial law then neither should civilian security guards. That is F'd up. I think we may really be in for some trouble. Is it still legal to buy an AK, I'm thinkin' about it more and more...

• WOW, this whole thing is not looking good for our constitutional rights. How is this whole think gonna wash out once this is over? Is it going to be used as precident to disarm us as citizens for any old reason thefeds want to? And why aren't these "guards " being disarmed too? Really is stinking of some new world order shit. I mean fair is fair if civilians can't have guns in martial law then neither should civilian security guards. That is F'd up. I think we may really be in for some trouble. Is it still legal to buy an AK, I'm thinkin' about it more and more...

In re to buying an AK, it depends on what state you are in. What state are you in Karlito? I'm pretty hip to most US gun laws.

PM me if you want some privacy.

HTH

~Crates

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    If the reason they are confiscating firearms is an effort to stop people from firing at relief helicopters, would you approve of it?

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    there is a way for the government to both make you leave you home and confiscate fire arms. forcing everyone to leave their homes falls under public safety/disease control.
    -----------------------------------
    Martial law is instituted most often when it becomes necessary to favor the activity of military authorities and organizations, usually for urgent unforeseen needs, and when the normal institutions of justice either cannot function or could be deemed too slow or too weak for the new situation; e.g., due to war, major natural disaster[/b], civil disorder, in occupied territory, or after a coup d'??tat. The need to preserve the public order during an emergency is the essential goal of martial law.[/b] However, declaration of martial law is also sometimes used by dictatorships, especially military dictatorships, to enforce their rule.

Usually martial law reduces some of the personal rights ordinarily granted to the citizen[/b], limits the length of the trial processes, and prescribes more severe penalties than ordinary law. In many countries martial law prescribes the death penalty for certain crimes, even if ordinary law doesn't contain that crime or punishment in its system.

• If the reason they are confiscating firearms is an effort to stop people from shooting other people, would you approve of it?

~Crates

If the reason they are confiscating firearms is an effort to stop people from firing at relief helicopters, would you approve of it?

The problem is that you can't know that. Civil rights don't work on a case-by-case basis, especially not in this case.

I'm all for gun control, by the way. I just think it's highly hypocritical that private guards can rock arms but citizens can't. This goes against, I would think, the whole point of the 2nd Amendment.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Constitution's not worth the paper that shit is printed on these days, yo.

I feel that. Still not a reason to disregard it.

• If the reason they are confiscating firearms is an effort to stop people from firing at relief helicopters, would you approve of it?

The problem is that you can't know that. Civil rights don't work on a case-by-case basis, especially not in this case.

I'm all for gun control, by the way. I just think it's highly hypocritical that private guards can rock arms but citizens can't. This goes against, I would think, the whole point of the 2nd Amendment.

This is where in the past headz on SS and i have clashed but i stand firmly behind the belief that all LAW ABIDING citizens should have firearms.

I mean god forbid we ever had to revolt or someting...........

~Crates

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

No but it definitely is a reason to be extra vigilant these days.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Right, but you know the NRA will bitch and moan about this and they'll have to answer to them since it's a mainly white organization

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    WOW, this whole thing is not looking good for our constitutional rights. How is this whole think gonna wash out once this is over? Is it going to be used as precident to disarm us as citizens for any old reason thefeds want to? And why aren't these "guards " being disarmed too? Really is stinking of some new world order shit. I mean fair is fair if civilians can't have guns in martial law then neither should civilian security guards. That is F'd up. I think we may really be in for some trouble. Is it still legal to buy an AK, I'm thinkin' about it more and more...

In re to buying an AK, it depends on what state you are in. What state are you in Karlito? I'm pretty hip to most US gun laws.

PM me if you want some privacy.

HTH

~Crates

Americans are very passionate about guns. There are probably more weapons among your civilian population then there are in the armies of whole countries. And yet, despite all of this firepower, the country is controlled by a small cabal of people who care nothing for their constituents & who are working to undermind the population.

I say take the guns away from the civilians. They won't make any difference. Apparently, Americans do not know how to use them.

• Americans are very passionate about guns. There are probably more weapons among your civilian population then there are in the armies of whole countries. And yet, despite all of this firepower, the coutry is controlled by a small cabal of people who care nothing for their constituents & who are working to undermind the population.

I say take the guns away from the civilians. They don't make any difference. Apparently, Americans do not know how to use them.

Thank you.

• Constitution's not worth the paper that shit is printed on these days, yo.

No but it definitely is a reason to be extra vigilant these days.

hasn't been worth shit since Bush took office for the first term...

Wasn't thre an interview where a lad was talking about people shooting into the air to get the attention of the helicoptors that would hover with people saying hello and go fly off? Ia m not saying that every shooting wsa for that, but I can see the frustration leading to that kind of action...

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    o.k i'm paranoid again....[/b]

Some predictions made by users of this term of events that will occur under the NWO include:

-The abolition of private property rights and gun ownership..... *CHECK *[/b]

-all national and local elections controlled by the UN

-the US constitution replaced by the UN charter

-only approved religions will be allowed to exist ??? as parts of the One World Religion

-home schooling will be illegal and there will be a UN approved curriculum

-military bases will be turned into concentration camps to confine those who defy the NWO.

• Options
    I say take the guns away from the civilians. They won't make any difference. Apparently, Americans do not know how to use them.

I'm a pretty wicked skeet shooter homie.

• I say take the guns away from the civilians. They won't make any difference. Apparently, Americans do not know how to use them.

I'm a pretty wicked skeet shooter homie.

ahhhhhhhh skeet skeet skeet! From the windows, to the walls!!!

~Crates

• Interesting............
    Louisana state Constitution.
    See: Smith v. Ishenhour, 43 Tenn. (3 Cold.) 214 (1866)(struck down gun confiscation law as infringement on right to arms).

b/w
    Martial law clarified

Tuesday, 9:02 p.m.

The state Attorney General's office on Tuesday sought to clarify reports in some media that "martial law' has been declared in parts of storm-ravaged southeast Louisiana, saying no such term exists in Louisiana law.

But even though no martial law exists, Gov. Kathleen Blanco's declaration of a state of emergency gives authorities widespread latitude to suspend civil liberties as they try to restore order and bring victims to safety. Under the Louisiana Homeland Security and Emergency Assistance and Disaster Act of 1993, the governor and, in some cases, chief parish officials, have the right to commandeer or utilize any private property if necessary to cope with the emergency.

Authorities may also suspend any statute related to the conduct of official business, or any rule issued by a state agency, if complying would "prevent, hinder or delay necessary action'' to mitigate the emergency.

It also gives authority the right to compel evacuations, suspend alcohol and weapons sales and make provisions for the availability and use of temporary emergency housing.

The law gives mayors similar authority, except they do not have the right to commandeer private property or make provisions for emergency housing, according to a background brief prepared by the state Attorney General's office.

~Crates

• There is also no legal way in hell that the government can force you to leave your own property.

That's not true. Martial law / "National emergency" gives government a lot of latitude.

Besides, if they can take your property at any time through eminent domain, why would you think they couldn't kick you out in a crisis?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    buying guns cause were scared of our own government?

Sounds kinda republican.......

Problem. Reaction. Solution.

• Some predictions made by users of this term of events that will occur under the NWO include:

-The abolition of private property rights and gun ownership..... *CHECK *[/b]
    -all national and local elections controlled by the UN
    -the US constitution replaced by the UN charter
    -only approved religions will be allowed to exist ??? as parts of the One World Religion
    -home schooling will be illegal and there will be a UN approved curriculum
    -military bases will be turned into concentration camps to confine those who defy the NWO.

kinda stupid

and i don't quite understand the anti-gun control liberalism.