Looking for NOLA soundbites

DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I'm working on a NOLA tribute mix and am on the lookout for soundbites from interviews, radio spots, etc. to put in the intro. I'll br searching for stuff all day at work, but if anyone knows of a good spot to look or has some already, I'd greatly appreciate it.I'm hoping to finish the whole thing up by Sunday because it's my college's alumni wine festival and I know I could sell a ton of CDs there (for charity of course). It's an aggressive timeframe seeing that I started on Tuesday, but I think I can do it. Obviously, I'll post up in the Heatrock forum when the CDs done.Oh also, if anyone has any good high res images of NOLA musicians, I could use them for the cover. Thanks,DJ Ferrari

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I was just listening to Gilles Peterson's show and I'm not sure if they did the clip over the track, or if the white label has it pressed on. To me it can't be, since it's only been a week...

But anyways, they use the whole clip of when the mayor goes off... Thought it really worked. Kinda reminded me of that classic house track with the "I have a dream" speech on it.

1, Oakenfull - 'New Orleans Under Attack' (White)

It's the first track Gilles plays... Check it out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio1_aod.shtml?radio1/gilles

Note: His show starts about a minute into the cast.

• On WBAI on Tuesday, there was a radio show that had testimonies from displaced Now Orleanians. It started at 7pm. You might find something there. wbai.org is the site.

Also, I posted a clip in the NOLA Sabotage thread from an interview on meet the press with the jefferson parish administrator that's really brutal. I'm not a big believer in soundbites, but you probably could find one there.

• I was thinking more along the lines of old interviews and soundbites from musicians talking about the 'soul' of New Orleans. I'd rather pay homage to the great music from the city than dwell on the tragedy for this mix. It'll make it more timeless than right now. Thanks for the help though, much appreciated.

DJ Ferrari

• what kind of stuff you throwing on there? I'm doing a similar mix (nothing too fancy mind you) mainly with some R&B and soul discs.

• what kind of stuff you throwing on there? I'm doing a similar mix (nothing too fancy mind you) mainly with some R&B and soul discs.

Mine'll be mostly funk. Meters, Bo, Explosions, Chuck Carbo, MJ Hooper, Gaturs, etc.

I don't have much beyond the classic stuff that's all been comped, but it'll be educational to most of my audiences besides here. It'll be mixed and blended similar to my Summer Soulstice mix so even though everyone here will know the tracks, it'll still be worth listening to for the DJ aspect of it. That is, if you liked Summer Soulstice

DJ Ferrari

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Hey, y'all DEEJAYZ...I'd like to pack in the tracks and represent hella SS folks...I'd like megamixesmashes to be in the neighborhood of 5-7 minutes. This could change depending on the amount of actual tracks I receive...5-7 minutes doable? Holler...
    gNAT

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Some of that NAGIN speech would be HELLA cool. Although, we don't want tracks to be too somber. Hope should be the ultimate message, word?!
    gNAT

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    whos the dude that said "so poor, and so black"? i was listening to howard stern today and they kept playing it, but i was half asleep so i dont remember who it was

• you could use mine and egon's interview of eddie bo...

should still be in the archives at www.friendsofsound.com

• you could use mine and egon's interview of eddie bo...

should still be in the archives at www.friendsofsound.com

Yo, thanks! That was great... I can definitely pull some stuff from there.

DJ Ferrari

• glad to be of help

• Check Democracynow.org then go to their LISTEN page. They archive every show in mp3 and OGG. For the past couple days there have been about ten or fifteen minutes of interviews and first-hand accounts of what's going on down there. You could probably cull tons of stuff from that. Some is very informing, some is quite sad.

• I used this on mine:

Galactic
    "Welcome To New Orleans" (intro)

Seemed eerily appropriate.

Herm

• TOMMY RIDGLEY?

SMOKEY JOHNSON?