New or Recent albums you're into

On_the_Red_ClayOn_the_Red_Clay 1,728 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Steve Spacek - Space Shift[/b] I was never really into the Spacek stuff, but this album's lead single "let the dollar circulate" caught my attention. Intimate (no club) and spacey hiphop / soul. The Magic Numbers - s/t[/b] After reading reviews and thinking "what a load of bullshit" this quartet from London has really been doing it for me these past few days. Stylewise related to stuff like the mamma's and the pappa's and the byrds, they make beautiful songs (although the description of their style begs to differ) Devendra Banhart - Cripple Crow[/b] He does it again for the third time in little over year. Slowly moving away from the "a man and his guitar" format, this new album sees more guest musicians and lots more cheer / goofiness then his previous two albums. Also check out the cover of Kell's "step in the name of love" that's on his split lp with Jana Hunter The Five Corners Quintet - Chasin' the jazz gone by[/b] First album by these dudes from Finland. Quite a departure from their two 10"s: a couple of tracks feature a full orchestra and / or Mark Murphy. Whatcha'll listening to?

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    ive been feelin this album recently

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

Steve Spacek - Space Shift[/b]

I was never really into the Spacek stuff, but this album's lead single "let the dollar circulate" caught my attention. Intimate (no club) and spacey hiphop / soul.

Whatcha'll listening to?

Shoot I gotta hear this.
    I've been feeling an old single he put out. I have been sleeping on this dude.
    I have been bumping a lot of I.N.I and the "Runaway Slave" lp the past couple days.

• Demon Days - Gorillaz[/b]

I've been really diggin this on my bike rides to work and around town. Clint Eastwood is such a champion track for me right now. I think I like this one better than the first.

Royksopp - Melody AM[/b]

This is their first LP, and their 2nd one just dropped about a month ago. My buddy was always playing tracks off this album, and I finally got it a couple of weeks ago - shit is sooooo nice, and perfect for the crates cause it has a little something for everyone - hip hop, house, electronic, etc. Eple is my choice track for the moment.

NIN - Only (limited 9" with DFA remix)[/b]

I actually had this in my had a couple of weeks ago, and decided not to get it at the time. Then I heard it on the radio and was like "I must have this record" shit is soooo dope! Proto-industrial-disco-rock. The drums and bass kill it!

Dizzy Bulls "Bali Hai" remix is killing my shit right now too, as well as Delay's and Shear's "Life's A Bitch" remixes.

Other recent treats:

Wood, Brass & Steel - s/t
    Tribe - Ethnic Stew
    BBD - I Thought I Was Me
    YBT - Tap The Bottle
    Le Pamplemousse - Le Spank
    Saint Tropez - Je taime
    Heavy D - We Got Our Own Thang

• in the past couple months...

animal colelctive - feels
    august born
    nagisa ni te (shit is all in japanese i have no idea what this is called but it probably translates to 'wind whistling through an oleander' or some such)
    vibracathedral orchestra - tuning to the rooster
    black dice - broken ear record
    excepter - throne
    nisennen mondai
    es - kaikkeuden kauneus ja k??sitt??m??tt??myys
    lindstrom - i feel space
    sunburned hand of the man - complexion
    hunters of the dallol mawri on ocora

• img src="

[img]http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeAudioArt/590/599926.jpg" alt="" />
    The Five Corners Quintet - Chasin' the jazz gone by[/b]

First album by these dudes from Finland. Quite a departure from their two 10"s: a couple of tracks feature a full orchestra and / or Mark Murphy.

Whatcha'll listening to?

This is one is also nice,same label. Jukka Eskola - 1974 (Ricky Tick 2005)

• ive been feelin this album recently

Nice find, TheMack. [shameless plug]One of the cuts from this album will be on my upcoming mix cd / comp "A Whole New Way Of Walking".[/shameless plug]

whcih track? is it "K.G."? thats probably my favorite joint on there

BTW, did you get my PM Phill?

• New and notables:

Lewis Taylor - Stoned (Hacktone/Shout! Factory)

Lewis Taylor's US debut album (no UK import) released this week. If you haven't heard this guy yet, here's yer chance.

Reggie Griffin - Mr. Everything (Sweet Mountain/Sugarhill)

The cashier at the store I purchased this from took one look at the cover and snickered. The cover may be kinda cheesy, but the music in it is first-rate Modern Soul IMO. "Whisper In Your Ear" is a super smooth "stepper"

Dunn and Bruce Street - Official Business (Devaki)

1982 Modern Soul classic from Bruce Gray and Dunn Pearson. Nearly every track is a winner if you're into this kind of sound (I am). "Mt. You (Up On The Hill)" is a funky killer doing heavy rotation on my MP3 player. Check it: Dunn and Bruce Street

SG

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    ]

AZ/Nas - Serious/Live Wire
    I Self Devine - Ice Cold/All I Know/Such is Life
    Niney The Observer - Sufferation: The Deep Roots Reggae Of Niney

• Their best one yet imho.

Their best one yet imho.

Not so much for me, but I'm amazed I like it as much as I do. I'm not really into that twangy, mellow countrified sound, but I'm listening the hell out of it.

I like this band a lot, some of the best drum sounds out there (actually the whole production sound is great) and I like that she can't really keep time. And their videos are beautiful. And the vague nature of their relationship. I like the whole package.

Not so much for me, but I'm amazed I like it as much as I do. I'm not really into that twangy, mellow countrified sound, but I'm listening the hell out of it.

I like this band a lot, some of the best drum sounds out there (actually the whole production sound is great) and I like that she can't really keep time. And their videos are beautiful. And the vague nature of their relationship. I like the whole package.

Co-sign on those drums / production in general... Mr Kravitz can take a hike with his "authentic production"

Did you happen to read the cover article in Mojo magazine a month back?

• Options

Glen Brown is a must. Tough original rhythms, gorgeous vocalists, and oh yeah that freindship with Tubby thingy. I've recently been told that he is also Glen Miller who recorded some monster JA soul/funk tracks (Successful Man and Whwere is the Love for Stag label) and some downright devastating roots tunes for Studio 1 ("Love and Understanding"!!!!). Why that last tune wasn't on the Studio 1 roots 2 comp, I have no idea.

Not only was he an amazing producer/arranger but was blessed with one of the more soulful voices in reggae.

Respect.

K in Canada.

Their best one yet imho.

Co-sign on those drums / production in general... Mr Kravitz can take a hike with his "authentic production"

No, I haven't read much on them lately - was it good? It seemed like a lot of the same things kept getting written after a while.

No, I haven't read much on them lately - was it good? It seemed like a lot of the same things kept getting written after a while.

Very good- search it out:

Very good- search it out:

will do - thanks a lot for the tip.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

this article on the white stripes was great, especially because the journalist wasn't afraid to call jack out on his annoying behavior/personality traits. however, he did (deservedly) worship the music as well.
    i really liked get behind me satan, but elephant is in a whole different class.

as far as new music i like, cosign on dungen. and a friend just gave me this, i guess its a little 2004, but...

and, you know, some rap songs

is one of the best songs evar! play it loud! play it over and over!

• whcih track? is it "K.G."? thats probably my favorite joint on there

BTW, did you get my PM Phill?

Yes to both. I just hit you back on the PM.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts

Soil & Pimp Sessions[/b] 'Summer Goddess'

They keep stepping it up and this EP kicks ass all over. Death jazz indeed.

• The new albums by soul veterans Bobby Purify and Bettye LaVette are on point.

And the new Big Star joint is mighty eccentric ! Good stuff.

• Soil & Pimp Sessions[/b] 'Summer Goddess'

They keep stepping it up and this EP kicks ass all over. Death jazz indeed.

Is this out on (non-baller) vinyl?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    A lot of people are sleeping..

- spidey

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    animal colelctive - feels
    Devendra Banhart - Cripple Crow
    black dice - broken ear record
    Major Swellings
    Serena Maneesh

• you've GOT to be kidding me with that maker record, dude. if you're bored enough to want to listen to that, i might suggest reading this sentence over and over: don doon CHAK dicka dn dun doon CHAK.

failing that, read a book.

dubious, you liking that serena maneesh? i found it a little too heavy on the forumlaic sonic youth 'riff / chorus / noisy passage / sparkly resolution' thing. but it is definitely produced really well.

i forgot to mention the new maher shalal hash baz record. dope.

this has been a great year for music, but a terrible one for good rap records.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Dunn and Bruce Street - Official Business (Devaki)

1982 Modern Soul classic from Bruce Gray and Dunn Pearson. Nearly every track is a winner if you're into this kind of sound (I am). "Mt. You (Up On The Hill)" is a funky killer doing heavy rotation on my MP3 player. Check it: Dunn and Bruce Street

SG

Is that the one with "Shout For Joy" on it? That was a big tune in the soul clubs in the UK around '82. I think it was out on 12" as well, certainly over here, so if it's not on that album, it's worth looking out for.

• Dunn and Bruce Street - Official Business (Devaki)

SG

Is that the one with "Shout For Joy" on it? That was a big tune in the soul clubs in the UK around '82. I think it was out on 12" as well, certainly over here, so if it's not on that album, it's worth looking out for.

Yep, it's on the album. Really great LP from start to finish!

SG

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    you've GOT to be kidding me with that maker record, dude. if you're bored enough to want to listen to that, i might suggest reading this sentence over and over: don doon CHAK dicka dn dun doon CHAK.

failing that, read a book.

Was that supposed to be funny? It seemed pretty hateful.

- spidey