Collection Buying Ethics

meshmesh 925 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
SO my friend has been selling off his collection for the past few months, and i have been the main benefactor of those sales. i have bought probably 8-10 crates worth over that time, but he still had a gang load more. (he is a radio DJ with a stupid amount of records.) anyways, the reason he is selling them is two fold, one he only uses serato and two he is moving very soon and didnt want to haul 60 crates of records to the next spot. THAT brings me to the dilemma. he called me about 2 or 3 weeks ago and said he was getting rid of the rest. to come down and get them. he lives about an hour and a half away, and i just didnt have the time to get down there. so i told him to call my other friend who would probably want them. i was a little bummed that i wouldnt get them but figured at least a friend would get them. So he hits me up tuesday night and says my friend still hasnt gotten them, would i please come get them from him tomorrow(yesterday) or otherwise he was gonna trhow them away. well we obviously can't have that, plus he said he only wanted 100 beans for em. we can have that. turns out to be about 25 crates worth of shit. some older rap, some 90s rap, and a whole bunch of recent radio promos. from what i can tell, there is a whole bunch of doo doo too, but there are definitely some heaters in there. whatever, thats not the point. the point is, the guy who was SUPPOSED to pick them up from the dude happened to call me on my way home, on some unrelated shit. i told him where i was coming from and with what and he called me SHIESTY, or SNEAKY, or something like that.now, this is a dude i DJ with on the regular(the one calling me out) so i feel kinda bad, but on the other hand i feel like if anybody deserves this haul its me, cuz i have been putting in a lot of time and money in the past to get to the point where he would get rid of this much for this cheap. cuz before, i was paying from $50-200 a crate depending on what was in there. and well, obviously i just paid about .04?? a record. what would you do? should i feel bad? cuz only about 5% of me feels bad. i was thinking about hooking him up with a couple records or something, to ease the pain, you know? plus there are MAD doubles in there, etc. i don't know, thought i would share with you guys and see what you thought.

Comments

• Go through and pick out the choice joints for yourself - then invite your mate over and divvy up the rest.

• Go through and pick out the choice joints for yourself - then invite your mate over and divvy up the rest.

• Nothing to feel sorry about imo- you were honest and straightforward with both of your friends. The one who doesn't pick up 20 crates is a straight slacker - you should be pissed at him for making you look foolish to your radio dj friend.

(my 2)

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Nothing to feel sorry about imo- you were honest and straightforward with both of your friends. The one who doesn't pick up 20 crates is a straight slacker - you should be pissed at him for making you look foolish to your radio dj friend.

(my 2)

yep. you are right. he is wrong. he didnt jump, someone had to.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Nothing to feel sorry about imo- you were honest and straightforward with both of your friends. The one who doesn't pick up 20 crates is a straight slacker - you should be pissed at him for making you look foolish to your radio dj friend.

(my 2)

yep. you are right. he is wrong. he didnt jump, someone had to.

which is more than fair (way more imo, after he dissed you )

dude slept !

• meshmesh 925 Posts

dude slept !

why dont we have a graemlin for this?

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

dude slept !

sleeping on heat.

• Yeah, really dude slept, and thats not you fault. Get that wax.

• so it's your fault he didn't call dude when he had at least 2 weeks to do so???? If dude had made the call like he said he would, none of this would've happened.....

It sounds like a case feeling salty he didn't make moves and that's

• dude slept !

no way in hell should you feel bad. all i know is if MY friend called me and told me to go pick up 25 crates of records i would drop whatever the hell i was doin and get my ass over there pronto.

i would do as blowfly says though.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    ok ok, on his behalf, he DID have his mopeds stolen last friday night, and he was supoosed to pick up the records on saturday(mord and larry, you know who i am talking about).

but still...

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    yeah, i was gonna hook him up with some shit, just cuz i know there is a bunch of doubles in there, plus a bunch of stuff i already have/dont want.

still, he made me feel kinda bad, but i guess i dont.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    he DID have his moped stolen last friday night

Dude was gonna haul 25 crates on his moped? Hot. He deserves the records for his ability to succesfully break the laws of physics. You're selfish.

-e

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Dude was gonna haul 25 crates on his moped? Hot. He deserves the records for his ability to succesfully break the laws of physics. You're selfish.

-e

HAHAHAHA... Yeah...Thats some circus shit right there.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

-e

This is the funniest shit i've read on hear for a hot one.

• meshmesh 925 Posts

-e

you're right, i am a bastard.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    bitches needa step up they game. i'll scoop a bama like a vulture. shit, i know a dude who will go right from a mfucker's wake and pick up the Blue Notes--slapping his widow on the ass as he grabs the last crate.

ethics and OCD don't mix!

no, really though...sounds like dude slept. and you're kind enough to share some. people who sleep don't get records. period.

• he DID have his mopeds stolen last friday night

That's why I always have a backup Segway in case my moped gets stolen and I need to make a big haul. You can't be in the record game without backup transportation.

DJ Ferrari

• girgir 329 Posts
    yeah, i was gonna hook him up with some shit, just cuz i know there is a bunch of doubles in there, plus a bunch of stuff i already have/dont want.

still, he made me feel kinda bad, but i guess i dont.

if he is still benefiting from the crates, there's no reason to feel bad.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    there's no reason to feel bad.

Yes there is. He has a magic moped!

-e

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    there's no reason to feel bad.

Yes there is. He has a magic moped!

-e

i know right, i need to trade him some records for his magic moped. you know gas prices these days.

• he DID have his mopeds stolen last friday night

That's why I always have a backup Segway in case my moped gets stolen and I need to make a big haul. You can't be in the record game without backup transportation.

DJ Ferrari

hahahahahahaha.

I dont buy collections. I got shit to do. And thats not one of them. buying hundreds of crappy rock records because there might be one decent record in there? pfffft. especially in san diego. maybe if i lived in a place that was known to have soul i would behave differently. as it stands now i'm doing ok with my current buying habits.

Now, I don't necessarily believe in karma, but I do beleive that you should never ever ever fuck over your friends. Especially over something like records. Word gets out and you will get marked as a bitch. treat people cool and you will be repayed. I have people cutting me deals on shit all the time just because I'm a nice dude. However, I think you did the right thing. Dude begged you to come take his records! you should tell your friend that that guy was the hommie and was pissed that he didn't come through on his word to pick up the records. and that gives you a bad rap. put it back on him, then throw a few records his way just to show that there are no hard feeling. turn it on him, you know? then tell him instead of wasting money on collections and record his ass needs to be saving up for a real car so he can get some poontang, and once he gets some poontang records aren't going to seem all that important anymore.

ok, that last part was ignant, but still, some of these record geeks need to get laid in a serious serious serious way.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    what would you do? should i feel bad?

If I were you I'd haul all of those records back to your place and not give any of it to that "friend". No need to feel bad about it at all since you sent it all his way to begin with and he slept on it.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    word, yeah i am pretty over it now i think. i have already found stuff i dont need that i think he will like, and otherwise, you're right, he basically slept.

just to clarify, he has a jeep. the moped being stolen part was added to the story because he had to spend the day looking for his moped instead of going to get the records. that was his excuse.

but still.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

I dont buy collections. I got shit to do. And thats not one of them. buying hundreds of crappy rock records because there might be one decent record in there? pfffft. especially in san diego.

Why you gotta hat on Mark like that?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Don't knock crappy rock collections... From what I've seen the last few months, there is some rock selling going on here in Toronto.

I know someone who bought one a few months ago for a very[/b] good price, sold one record out of it that paid for the whole collection. While going through the rest of the records, came across an envelope with $400 bucks in it.

8 months ago I bought a rock collection for crazy cheap. Sold silly $10-15 rock records for days...

I would always rather sell 40 rock records in a week or two for $10 bucks a pop, than sell one 200-400 funk/soul record a month.