NY record shops

roistoroisto 879 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
What else is there to check besides A1, TTL & Sound Library? Manhattan area especially. Disco, soul, hiphop, etc.Thanks.

Comments

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Final Vinyl in the east village
    King George's spot- Records Wanted in LES
    Academy in East Village (and Williamsburg)

and if you want:
    Bleeker Street Records (West Village)
    and there's a couple more decent one's up there.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Hit up the black guy at the Ave A flea on Saturday... some nice mid range pieces.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Hit up the black guy at the Ave A flea on Saturday....

check condition, and don't be surprised if dude is like, "$40!"

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Hit up the black guy at the Ave A flea on Saturday....

check condition, and don't be surprised if dude is like, "$40!"

That was all in the course of a week. I got a five dollar copy of Young Holt Unlimited's Soulful Strut on week, and the next week dude wants to charge me $40 for Bobbi Humphrey's Blacks and Blues. Conversation between me and dude:

Me: "whats going on? You've never charged me more than $8 for an LP"

Him: "Yeah man but if you go to that place TSL up the street they'll charge you up to $70 for this record, so your getting a deal!"

Me: "Good luck selling records at the flea for those prices"

Him: "Some dude already dropped $300 today"

I've also heard him quote different prices to different people. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on dude's hustle, everyones gotta make their paper.

Riosto: Gimme Gimme records on 5th Street sometimes gets good records in, if you want reggae records Jammyland on 2nd Street has a good selection of 45s.

Haha. That's my dude though. But seriously, that Young Holt was offered for $20, 15, and 10 first. Glad he finally got real with it!

File under: Bar-Kays for $50

• if you want reggae records Jammyland on 2nd Street has a good selection of 45s.

Yes. Ras Kush dropped all kinds of knowledge the times I've been by there.

And for more reggae records (dancehall especially), check out Ethiopian Taste in Brooklyn (is that Crown Heights?) on Nostrand at Sterling.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    shit! thats how flea markets are in NY? damn, ya'll need to come to Pittsburgh flea markets.
    me:"how much is this sealed private press jazz lp?"
    flea market seller:"4 bucks"
    me:"fuck that man, im out"
    flea market seller:"but its sealed!!!"

thats a recent exchange between me and a flea market seller. dudes usually dont charge more than a buck for rackords

shit! thats how flea markets are in NY? damn, ya'll need to come to Pittsburgh flea markets.

me:"how much is this sealed private press jazz lp?"

flea market seller:"4 bucks"

me:"fuck that man, im out"

flea market seller:"but its sealed!!!"

thats a recent exchange between me and a flea market seller. dudes usually dont charge more than a buck for rackords

Don't watch me, watch TV.

Roisto, from what I heard you ran the stores hard last time! I'd say you're even up on a few things folks out here are sleeping on.

• Options

if you want reggae records Jammyland on 2nd Street has a good selection of 45s.
    Yes. Ras Kush dropped all kinds of knowledge the times I've been by there.

And for more reggae records (dancehall especially), check out Ethiopian Taste in Brooklyn (is that Crown Heights?) on Nostrand at Sterling.

Also head up to Moody's on White Plains Road in the Bronx for reggae.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Roisto, from what I heard you ran the stores hard last time! I'd say you're even up on a few things folks out here are sleeping on.

I'm asking for a friend who's going...We drove through NYC so fast that we didn't have time to check out but the best known spots (and get stopped by the cops on Cross Bronx Expressway).

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Oh, thanks for everyone who helped!

• Gimme Gimme
    325 East 5th St.

Mondo Kims (kinda hit or miss)
    6 St. marks Place

Rebel Rebel (a lot of gay house and disco, but some gems as well)
    319 Bleeker - West Village

Second Coming (is this place still around?)
    235 Sullivan St.

word.

Second Coming (is this place still around?)
    No.

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    KIMS for a limited amount of USED crates its farely decent but dont expect any HARD TO FIND. middle of the range records and alot of ubscure shit for Sampling heads.

Ave.A flea is also hit or miss. Joe in the back sells dollar records. Sometimes I leave with one and the following week I grab thirty. Not in prestine condition though. When coming to NY you just need to plan it out. Ive had days where I was at turntablelab for an hour or so and some random person comes in there trying to sell records to them and I caught about half a crate. Same goes for A-1, and all others. Just need to spend some time cause u never know. And knowing is half the battle.