How's ebay doing?

twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I know many of you sellers didn't notice much of a drop this summer, but I definitely did. Some of my July auctions were going for 25-50% of what I hoped to fetch for them. So, my question is: is it safe to sell again? Or is the market for semi-raer and sub-raer LPs shrinking in general?

Comments

• I know many of you sellers didn't notice much of a drop this summer, but I definitely did. Some of my July auctions were going for 25-50% of what I hoped to fetch for them.

So, my question is: is it safe to sell again? Or is the market for semi-raer and sub-raer LPs shrinking in general?

I'm not much of a seller but I can tell you from experience - it seems all online stuff, be it auctions or message boards, see a drop in activity in the summer. When the cold snaps start to hit and people are indoors, that's when online shit starts poppin.

That being said, I predict a drop in the value of records as CDJs and the like propagate.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I know many of you sellers didn't notice much of a drop this summer, but I definitely did. Some of my July auctions were going for 25-50% of what I hoped to fetch for them.

So, my question is: is it safe to sell again? Or is the market for semi-raer and sub-raer LPs shrinking in general?

my auctions went quite well. but the records i consider good and rare did not sell for much. some semi rare jazz and rock did well. plus european funk. my us records don't help me much these days. don't know what's happening. make sure to mention any breaks and list all cool instruments. still works for me...

• That being said, I predict a drop in the value of records as CDJs and the like propagate.

says the guy with 5 copies of sisqo's album

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

That being said, I predict a drop in the value of records as CDJs and the like propagate.

I don't think it really has to do with stuff like mp3's and CDJ's...

It's like everything, it all runs in cycles. Pick any hobby (Comics,cards,etc)

One minute things are runnin' well and prices are hot and the next, it's in the toilet.

Just remember... They ain't making records really any longer. And as time passes, the quantity of whats left decreases. Meaning, one day the value could be high again. That might take 20 years mind you. But IMO, don't look for record companies to be making records much longer. And with that, distributors and stores that only deal with new records will be gone... Which is to bad really. If I was a major, I would put everything that I released promo on vinyl only and drop the ablity for people to have a direct digital copy. Label's that are looking at doing promotions (Pools,etc) through mp3 means are setting them selves up to get fucked. Unless they can come up with an air tight copyright solution (Which I doubt can be ever fully 100%). Just a thought.

But yeah, soon will be the days that people will only be record collectors.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    im right there with you 2ply...

july til now has been a little rough on ebay and i stopped selling for almost all of it. ive been throwing test records out for the past 3weeks and the prices are getting better. im going to drop a bunch of soul 45s today or tomorrow so that will be the true test. a lot of the europeans and folks away for holiday are back or coming back.

best time to start... end of september beginning of october. bills gotta get paid first...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

best time to start... end of september beginning of october. bills gotta get paid first...

For reals.

As a seller, I sold off shit that I wish I could of held on to for a few months more. I still can't beleive I put up a Michael Wycoff "Love Conquesrs all" and didn't even break $10 for it.

As a buyer, I cleaned the fuck up

• That being said, I predict a drop in the value of records as CDJs and the like propagate.

THEY WERE A QUARTER!

• I don't think it really has to do with stuff like mp3's and CDJ's...

One minute things are runnin' well and prices are hot and the next, it's in the toilet.

Yeah, but you can't download comics and cards on LimeWire.

and I'm still waiting for 78s to make a comeback.

• I know many of you sellers didn't notice much of a drop this summer, but I definitely did. Some of my July auctions were going for 25-50% of what I hoped to fetch for them.

my auctions went quite well. but the records i consider good and rare did not sell for much. some semi rare jazz and rock did well. plus european funk. my us records don't help me much these days. don't know what's happening. make sure to mention any breaks and list all cool instruments.[/b] still works for me...

senor, i hope your name on the bay isn't what i think it is.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I don't think it really has to do with stuff like mp3's and CDJ's...

Yeah, but you can't download comics and cards on LimeWire.

Umm, there's a huge comics trading underground...

People trading in different high quality formats.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

THEY WERE A QUARTER!

OVERPAID

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I know many of you sellers didn't notice much of a drop this summer, but I definitely did. Some of my July auctions were going for 25-50% of what I hoped to fetch for them.

my auctions went quite well. but the records i consider good and rare did not sell for much. some semi rare jazz and rock did well. plus european funk. my us records don't help me much these days. don't know what's happening. make sure to mention any breaks and list all cool instruments.[/b] still works for me...

PM, please! What name? Did we get into a hassle?`I'm cool!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

78s have been perhaps the most voraciously collected format since the 1950s...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

hate to post sth like this, but meikel: TURN ON YOUR PMs!!!

PM, please! What name? Did we get into a hassle?`I'm cool!

nah, not at all, mate, but check your pms in a minute