NRR - Katrina volunteers question

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Is there a call out for volunteers to go to NO and help re-build? To go there and do anything?

Comments

• yes, but go thru and organization so you can be trained, etc... instead of just going.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Is there a call out for volunteers to go to NO and help re-build? To go there and do anything?

just got the following on friendster...

If you want to go and actually help the victims of Katrina go by (don't call the phones are swamped and they need volunteers) your local American Red Cross, ask about and take the Disaster Course. You must take this course before you can be deployed. They are giving them a lot this week so people have already been deployed. I just took the first 1/2 of the class last night. It does not matter how many courses you have taken in the past you must take this if you wish to help with Mass Populations. They are giving the course all over the country because people are going to be needed now, in the near future... and for months down the road. You have to take the course so everyone is on the same page (on how to help and have answers). You have to be willing to go in 24 hours of being called up. You should be current or get a Tetinus Shot and Hep A Vaccine. You must be able to lift 50 pounts... Food and water containers weight that much. You do not get to choose where you go. There are even shelters now set up in Syracus and one in Philly Pa. You must bring a sleeping bag and realize you may be sleeping on a cot in the shelter, or on the floor. You should not go if you are ill, have allergies or ashma.

The rest of the info will be given to you as to what to bring. ( Hat that covers your ears, bug spray,ect.) The American Red Cross pays for your flight down and back and you receive a debit card no money or vouchers...only for covered expenses. You will most likey work for 2 weeks... more if you can....

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Does this apply to Canadians? I'll ask my local Red Cross.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i went to red cross in santa monica this weekend, and they seemed to be in NO hurry at all to utilize eager 150+ volunteers, many of whom would have been happy to go to texax, LA, or anywhere they were needed to help.
    on one hand, i understand this... it would be a complete clusterfuck to train every volunteer who wanted to lend a hand, let alone feed and house them...
    that said, there was a general sense of collective frustration amongst the volunteers... how can we help?!

if you know of a good organization, please share

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    try habitat for humanity?

maybe food banks and shelters?

i don't think i could handle it, but maybe the humane society or some other animal rescue organizations?

it's a little removed, but i imagine schools are a little overwhelmed at all the new students - maybe they need folks to help teachers or in the libraries or for after-school activities.