Jae Mason Rackord Appreciation

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central

Anybody else loving this dude and his rackords?

I had the "Tender Man" LP for a while and played it out quite a bit before I grabbed his other LP "Crossroads" this weekend.

Dudes in that same Terry Callier, Lou Bond, Curtis Mayfield vein and dresses like a redneck.

I need to put some MP3's up to display dudes realness

I never hear cats talk on this guy, am I alone in my love of music?

BTW I do celebrate his entire catalogue

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Dudes in that same Terry Callier, Lou Bond, Curtis MAyfield veing and dresses like a redneck.

BIG talk right there! Now I'm curious...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Yeah, but do you have the Peace/Everyday I Go Sailing 45 on Rama Rama in a compnay sleeve (yes trade bait)? Shit is mad corny. And I mean that as a compliment.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Jae Mason is the man. I have doubles of "Tender Man". If anyone wants to trade it for a copy of that "Crossroad" lp , I'm down.

• sorry i thought we were big upping this guy:

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Dudes in that same Terry Callier, Lou Bond, Curtis Mayfield vein

never heard of dude but...after you post the MP3'S

1)Drew will kill you for your blasphemy & exaggeration

2)Drew will kill you for that record

either way..Drew will kill you

• Anybody else loving (Jae Mason) and his rackords?

I had the "Tender Man" LP for a while and played it out quite a bit before I grabbed his other LP "Crossroads" this weekend.

Cross Roads is the one I have. Wanted to like it, but wasn't really feeling it 'cept for the heartbreaking "Lady Pearl," about a mother who abandons her children. Haven't heard Tender Man yet.

Jae supposedly had a third album, on VJ International - I believe that this, too, was from the 70's (Vee Jay was briefly revived, releasing new material).

Dudes in that same Terry Callier, Lou Bond vein

As long as you're in that bag, don't sleep on Charles Bevel, who had a classic album on A&M in 1973 (featuring the minor hit "Sally B. White").

I need to put some MP3's up to display dudes realness

I never hear cats talk on this guy, am I alone in my love of music?

I did a Google search on Jae some time ago - I was devastated to find out that he died.

He never became a star, but he was respected by his peers (I understand he spent his last years as a professional songwriter in Nashville.)

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Guzzo,

Remember, a while back when I propped "Crossroads"? I try to drop gems on cats "but they ain't listenin'...". Messing with you, but I make mention of quite a few LPs, get fronted on (i.e., receive no response whatsoever), only for other cats to prop the same album later. I find that weird. Babble over.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Hey Guzzo,

Remember, a while back when I propped "Crossroads"? I try to drop gems on cats "but they ain't listenin'...". Messing with you, but I make mention of quite a few LPs, get fronted on (i.e., receive no response whatsoever), only for other cats to prop the same album later. I find that weird. Babble over.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

oh man, sorry had I remembered seeing that I'd have jumped in gushing about dude. I think it was AP who turned me onto this artist. I found a copy of Tender Man while going through some crates with Anthony and he said I might like this, sure enough I did.

Just found crossroads a few days back and I like it just as much. I'm guessing cats are skipping over the album cause he looks like the love child of Charley Pride & John Legend

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Guzzo,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

oh man, sorry had I remembered seeing that I'd have jumped in gushing about dude. I think it was AP who turned me onto this artist. I found a copy of Tender Man while going through some crates with Anthony and he said I might like this, sure enough I did.

Just found crossroads a few days back and I like it just as much. I'm guessing cats are skipping over the album cause he looks like the love child of Charley Pride & John Legend

Hey Guzz,

I'm tryin' to tell you, cats sleep on the Stacks. I slip in the gems under the radar cause dudes aren't checkin' for 'em.

Re: Albums that you know are dope.... [Re: yuichi]

#342609 - 05/25/05 10:50 PM Edit Reply Quote

Hey Yuichi,

Here are some:

-"The October Suite"-Steve Kuhn.

-"Coldwater Flats"-The Three Sounds.

-"Milt Jackson w/ Strings"-Milt Jackson.

-"S/T"-Walt Bolden.

-"Kickin'", "Truth is the Power" and "It's Time"-The Mighty Clouds of Joy.

-"Songs of Praise"-The Sensational Nightingales.

-"Ride the Ship to Zion" and "Destiny"-The Gospel Keynotes.

-"Court's in Session"-Kaos.

-"Atmosphere"-Colours.

-"Soul Machine"-Richard Barbary.

-"Right On"-Phil Moore, Jr.

-"Soft Samba Strings"-Gary McFarland.

-"Peace in the Valley"-The Gospelaires of Dayton Ohio.

-"Construction #1"-Ten Wheel Drive ft/ Genya Ravan.

-"A Good Feelin'"-William D. Smith.

- "Crossroads"-Jae Mason[/b] .

-"S/T"-Shades of Joy.

-"A Man and a Woman"-OST.

-"S/T"-Sea Level.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Edited by Big_Stacks (05/25/05 11:40 PM)

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Cross Roads is the one I have. Wanted to like it, but wasn't really feeling it 'cept for the heartbreaking "Lady Pearl," about a mother who abandons her children. Haven't heard Tender Man yet.

I really like "Monday Morning" off that one. Makes me glad I'm not working.

As long as you're in that bag, don't sleep on Charles Bevel, who had a classic album on A&M in 1973 (featuring the minor hit "Sally B. White").

Never really got into that one aside from "Overheard." He just seems a little earnest.

[I really like "Monday Morning" off that one. Makes me glad I'm not working.

That's my jernt right there!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    -"Construction #1"-Ten Wheel Drive ft/ Genya Ravan.

yes.

• Stacks..... how come you never come thru to Funk wednesday at Dannys out here???? Get yourself out here tommorrow for the heatrocks

• "Reaching For You" =

• As long as you're in that (folk-soul) bag, don't sleep on Charles Bevel, who had a classic album on A&M in 1973 (featuring the minor hit "Sally B. White").

Never really got into that one aside from "Overheard." He just seems a little earnest.

A friend of mine described him as a bitter Bill Withers.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    "Reaching For You" =

Reaching For You