what brand of cd-r's do you use???

the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
dude fuck maxell and memorex, used to love their tapes but they suck when it comes to cds, this shit is getting really annoying when none of these shits play

Comments

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i usually buy the cheapest spindle in chinatown... i think they're typically ridata

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    i just put tape over the center hole and record over some CD i don't like.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    u sure you're not playing them in an older cd player?

by the way, i have a question for CDJ's, what cdrs do you use? i heard its best to use the ones with the gold colour for best results? like kodak or something?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I just went back to Imation, this after buying a whole 50 spindle of Sonys that ended up not working for music.

haha, i did that with a hootie and the blowfish cd

• have had the best luck with the inventors of the cd-r media taiyo yuden, they go by microboards in the US. the only place i can find them in my city is guitar center. never had any problems with them. sometimes i use maxell(silver) but occasionally there will be a bad disk in there. to master i use maxell gold.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    dude fuck maxell and memorex, used to love their tapes but they suck when it comes to cds, this shit is getting really annoying when none of these shits play

huh...thought I was the only one

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Verbatim for me.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I always use MUSIC CD-Rs. Music CD-Rs will play in almost all cd players because they have the little music cd info. burned into the start of the cd. Many older cd players will not play CD-Rs. I buy TDK music CD-Rs at Costco in packs of 75.
    I have been using TDK music CD-Rs for a few years and have never had a problem.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Whatevers cheap.

Last cd-r spindle I bought was something like 100 for $17.99 (About $15 US)

But I mostly just buy DVD-r's now. Waiting for dual layers to become cheap!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Verbatim for me.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I get whatever I can free after rebate or dirt cheap. CDs are such a silly temporary medium, but good for the ride. Not archival at all.

I recently got 200 DVD+R and -R media for $20, no joke. Crazy price matching deal in full effect mode.

http://www.fatwallet.com/c/18/

The "hot deals" forum is the "Soulstrut" of tech/rebate/brick and mortar deals.

-M

if i can ask a further question, which brands last longest? been hearing that some CDRs dont last very long, and was able to verfily this listening to some cdrs fromo 4 years ago.

• u sure you're not playing them in an older cd player?

in my car which is a 2003, so i think thats not the problem

noticed quite a few cars that suck with cdr actually, if they're the factory model.try cdrs with the gold colour

• noticed quite a few cars that suck with cdr actually, if they're the factory model.try cdrs with the gold colour

see this is the main problem i am having, first i bought maxells, those fucked up in my car, then i bought maxells and the worked great, went through two spindles of em never had a prob, went to the store this week bought another spindle of the same[/b] ones and they are all fucked up, but i think it might be my computer drive cause some dvds i burned this week are fucked as well

fuck computers

• At least in the olden days of cdrs the most important thing is the darkness and quality of the ink used, the darker the bottom the easier it is for the laser to pick up, especially in older players. I normally use memorex or whatever's cheapest, but my 2000 VW cd changer reads about half of the freshly burned cds I put in it.

yeah i just bought a portable cd/mp3 player and hooked up to my car with the car kit (i got a cassette deck)...another alternative is to get those things you hook up to ipods/portable cd players and they play through your radio, without a physical connection to your radio, i use that with my iriver mp3 player

• lo fi raers? never that son.

• i just put tape over the center hole and record over some CD i don't like.

You're kidding right. I thought this was a joke like how you can just put a piece of tape over the cassette corners and dub over them. Can you really record over cds?

Stop fronting.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    noticed quite a few cars that suck with cdr actually, if they're the factory model.try cdrs with the gold colour

my car - 1999 acura with factory system - SUCKS playing cdr's... which especially sucks because that's all i listen to (i'm trying to protect og cd's, don't ask why)

• I've bought every kind of cdr and don't ever have problems. Sony's, Memorex's, Imation's, no name/swaptmeet/chinatown/$5.99 for a 50 pack and all of em work. The one's I buy the most are Memorex's - but seriously just never have problems...

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Great Quality

white on top for printing

get em at Fry's $14 for 50

• i use memorex and have never had a problem, it might be your cd-r drive that is the problem. i used to have some crappy cd-r drive that half the time the cds didn't work.

You're kidding right. I thought this was a joke like how you can just put a piece of tape over the cassette corners and dub over them. Can you really record over cds?

Stop fronting.

if it doesnt work, try drilling a hole on the bottom left corner, it will go from 700mb to 1400mb. (my ancient computer heads drilling the double density floppy disks to the high density steelo will get that )

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Verbatim for me.

There was a whole artical in some mag (Wired maybe?) about 5 years ago where they tested a bunch of different brands of CDRs and Verbatim was the winner. I've never had problems with Verbatim. And I've bought bad batches of tons of other brands: Memorex, Fuji, Maxxel

Once again

• I avoid Memorex at ALL costs.

I will usually go back and forth (read "depending on how much I have and what is on sale") between Maxell, TDK, Sony, and Imation. Imation recently changed, their CD-R's used to be made in Japan but now they're done in India. My old CD burner noted the difference and I had to return my spindles. But the current burner I have (a DVD burner) works find.

I've always wanted to buy a spindle of Mitsui's.

---

With that said, I did read that a lot of CD-R's are pretty much made the same way, not only in manufacturing, but I heard in one instance that in some countries, one company does them all. Kind of like how Sony, Panasonic, and JVC radios were all the exact same components.

• Verbatim for me.

There was a whole artical in some mag (Wired maybe?) about 5 years ago where they tested a bunch of different brands of CDRs and Verbatim was the winner. I've never had problems with Verbatim. And I've bought bad batches of tons of other brands: Memorex, Fuji, Maxxel

Once again

hey thanx to all for the input, went and bought a bundle of verbatim and they are working great! many thanx

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Dude, Memorex made the shittiest cassettes (aside from Radio Shack)... for this reason I've NEVER bought their CDRs... there's a reason they're the cheapest

Don't know what happened to Maxell though, they had the really expensive high-grade tapes BITD... don't think I've even seen their CDs around though...

• What about DiscMasters? Good quality and good deals, or so I have been told.