question for cats with an asr 10

rcbreaksrcbreaks 28 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
how do you chop different sounds in the same insturment? I.E. how do I copy the sound on the root key in order to chop up different parts of it without putting it to a new insturment? any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    If i'm not mistaken, the ASR is alot like the EPS.

On the EPS you copy the sample as many times as you need and then assign each one to a key on the keyboard[/b].

What I used to do was take a drum loop, copy it 4 or 5 times, trim one to the hi hat, another to the kick, etc. all on instrument one which would be my drums.

Then I'd take a bassline, do the same thing on instrument 2 and so on.

Hope that helps.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    how do you chop different sounds in the same insturment? I.E. how do I copy the sound on the root key in order to chop up different parts of it without putting it to a new insturment? any help would be appreciated.

first: copy wave sample(enter), to instrument (choose)(enter), to layer- 1 (enter), copy params only (NO)... change this to copy params + data (enter), then the copy is created(do not touch the keys), go to edit pitch and choose root key, this can be a bit tricky,(example) it reads ROOT KEY: C6, go to the left (via left arrow), it reads WS RANGE LO:a0 HI: C8, this is where you choose the range of the wave sample, if you just need it on one key then underline LO:a0 push the key (where you want the sample) down, then it underlines HI:C8 push the key again, now you have copied the wave sample to one single key, (example) it now reads WS RANGE LO:F5 HI:F5, if you want a wider range for the wave sample you choose your lowest key on the LO: and the highest on HI:

good luck!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    i have an mpc. but the asr looks like it would be fresh to have too. anyone have both?

• how do you chop different sounds in the same insturment? I.E. how do I copy the sound on the root key in order to chop up different parts of it without putting it to a new insturment? any help would be appreciated.
    If I was standing in front of mines right now, I could break it down real easily. If I was at your lab, that would be even better...Anyway, go to Ensoniqasrforums and they have a nice forum/tutorial which explains chopping.
    Peace..

• i have an mpc. but the asr looks like it would be fresh to have too. anyone have both?

The ASR-10 is worth copping...

• ArksArks 133 Posts
    I used to have an MPC 2000 and an ASR 10, but I sold the ASR when I copped an Akai S1000. I dunno, I just felt like I had too many samplers by that stage.

My breakdown:
    MPC - best for sequencing/drumming
    ASR - best sounding for bass samples/loops
    S1000 - best sounding for drum samples (real LOUD).

Peace