Just copped 2 amazing DVDs.

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
There's the old dude out at the West Indian Day Parade who has a stall selling all sorts of his own compilation CDs, all soul, ALL GOOD, like just some dude in his 50s who does it in Brooklyn. I usually don't check for the CDs just cause I got a gang of that stuff anyway, but I had to cop some of his CDs.I got the DVD of James Brown, the live performance at the Boston Garden, the day after MLK was killed. This performance is out of sight. It's 1968 and he is on fire. The band is incredibly tight. He brings Marva Whitney out to do 3 songs, Bobby Byrd to do a couple, and it's just amazing to watch. The call the Boston mayor out to help calm folks down and shit. I know you know the story.Dudes, JBs tightest band ever.I copped another DVD dude has of performances from 1965 through 1974.I'm watching him perform on teh Mike Douglas show in 1969. Say word.Anyway, that's all.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    That's cool.

I'm lookin' for the JB tv special w/ the poplockers. Mustache era Brown.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I always ask the bootleg DVD guys (you know, "I don't sell bootlegs!" ummmm...right...) at record shows if they have JB's "Future Shock" TV show. This one guy says he had it years ago, but hasn't found any copies since - and that he has never seen a copy of it where the video quality wasn't ass.

Anyone have/seen this one?? I have the 45 with the theme song...now I wanna see this madness!

• I ordered this:

Hopefully it'll show up in the next day or two.

Herm

• does that have any of his amateur bouts on there? i wanna see his hands.

• I always ask the bootleg DVD guys (you know, "I don't sell bootlegs!" ummmm...right...) at record shows if they have JB's "Future Shock" TV show. This one guy says he had it years ago, but hasn't found any copies since - and that he has never seen a copy of it where the video quality wasn't ass.

Anyone have/seen this one?? I have the 45 with the theme song...now I wanna see this madness!

I know I've seen it over DJ Cash Money's crib. I may even have Future Shock on tape myself somewhere... seems like I remember doing a trade for it once but I used to get so much stuff and just throw it on a shelf and forget about it, so I'm not even sure about that. Big Chan (if you're reading this thread), you didn't send me Future Shock back in the days, did you?

• I got the DVD of James Brown, the live performance at the Boston Garden, the day after MLK was killed. This performance is out of sight. It's 1968 and he is on fire. The band is incredibly tight. He brings Marva Whitney out to do 3 songs, Bobby Byrd to do a couple, and it's just amazing to watch. The call the Boston mayor out to help calm folks down and shit. I know you know the story.

my homeboy chris used to work at kim's (pre-bustdown, obviously) and is fond of telling the story of how al sharpton came down to the store on st marks specifically because he heard they had that DVD

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I always ask the bootleg DVD guys (you know, "I don't sell bootlegs!" ummmm...right...) at record shows if they have JB's "Future Shock" TV show. This one guy says he had it years ago, but hasn't found any copies since - and that he has never seen a copy of it where the video quality wasn't ass.

I know I've seen it over DJ Cash Money's crib. I may even have Future Shock on tape myself somewhere... seems like I remember doing a trade for it once but I used to get so much stuff and just throw it on a shelf and forget about it, so I'm not even sure about that. Big Chan (if you're reading this thread), you didn't send me Future Shock back in the days, did you?

Cash has pretty much every single video imaginable of old performances, some real raw shit. Ahmir collects videos as well, we used to show them on the wall when we used to do the Candyland party together in Philly, especially old Soul Train vids.

Oh yeah, this dude who I got the DVDs from had 15 volumes of Soul Train performances, some real raw shit, like Sisters Love and whatnot. I'm going to dudes house soon to cop.

Does anyone have Future Shock?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Cash has pretty much every single video imaginable of old performances, some real raw shit. Ahmir collects videos as well, we used to show them on the wall when we used to do the Candyland party together in Philly, especially old Soul Train vids.

Oh yeah, this dude who I got the DVDs from had 15 volumes of Soul Train performances, some real raw shit, like Sisters Love and whatnot. I'm going to dudes house soon to cop.

Does anyone have Future Shock?

man, I used to, got it off Marco's pal Tony 'the tyger' Sanchez in SD. The quality was 4th generation VHS dupe, so no huge loss that it's gone, but the dance contests on that show were off the chain!

Can we start a DVD trade post out of this plaese? I have much to offer, and Cos, I NEED those JB vids!!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    You were surely missed out on the Parkway today, Chris. Shit was off the chain.

Of course, the Haitian Times truck took it AGAIN this year.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Also, checking the James performance of "Big Payback" on Wolfman Jack Midnight Special from 74... dog, I remember being a kid and peeping Midnight Special jawn...

Also, checking the James performance of "Big Payback" on Wolfman Jack Midnight Special from 74... dog, I remember being a kid and peeping Midnight Special jawn...

ditto...and I have copped whatever little style I have from the Wolfman, one of my heroes!

I aspire to be this cool someday!

yeah, it would have been nice to have been up there, man. I did have a sweet day sailing on the Chesapeake Bay with one of my best friends, something we don't do nearly offten enough, so it was a good Labor Day!

• Also, checking the James performance of "Big Payback" on Wolfman Jack Midnight Special from 74... dog, I remember being a kid and peeping Midnight Special jawn...

"Let the Midnight Special / Shine it's everlovin' light on you!!!" Damn, I'm surprised y'all are old enough to remember that... that's from back when I was a little kid in the 70's! Or was it still on the air in the 80's too?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

"Let the Midnight Special / Shine it's everlovin' light on you!!!" Damn, I'm surprised y'all are old enough to remember that... that's from back when I was a little kid in the 70's! Or was it still on the air in the 80's too?

I recall seeing it on channel 48 (I think) maybe or some shit like that, maybe 1979, 1980, 1981... I was definitely a yung'un but it resonated with me.

I recall seeing it on channel 48 (I think) maybe or some shit like that, maybe 1979, 1980, 1981... I was definitely a yung'un but it resonated with me.

That was when I had the ENERGY to stay up into the night watching the tube! I was born in '68, so I was little but me and my older brother used to watch all that stuff, Midnight Special, Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, etc.

I remember having a fit because I would NOT believe my brother that this was a man, and he was on one of those late concert shows:

also first place I saw/heard these dudes(who would go on to be my brother's fave group):