Cool spots in Chi-town Por Favor

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
i'm in chicago with my girlfriend and was wondering if there's any spots kinda like Haight St. or Melrose or Telegraph. record stores, good places to eat pizza, nice scenery, etc.i am still feeling kinda ill about the New Orleans situation, but hell i'm here, so might as well enjoy this trip. thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hey, theres an African Festival going on in Hyde Park right now... 55th/Cottage Grove. My brothers record shop is on 53rd/Dorchester in Hyde Park... and theres lots of good eatin's around there. Other than that, theres the junction of Milwaukee/North/Damen... plenty to do and look at around there. Other than that, go down to the lake and enjoy the weather... like I should be doing right now.....

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Hey, theres an African Festival going on in Hyde Park right now... 55th/Cottage Grove. My brothers record shop is on 53rd/Dorchester in Hyde Park... and theres lots of good eatin's around there. Other than that, theres the junction of Milwaukee/North/Damen... plenty to do and look at around there. Other than that, go down to the lake and enjoy the weather... like I should be doing right now.....

word. thanks for those helpful tips! i walked around in that millenium park thingamajig and was delighted! that place is awesome.

• This is a long shot, but...

I was taking a bus going down Ashland St. in Chicago today when I saw a guy wearing a Verve Records T-shirt. He was with his girlfriend. I asked him where he scored the T, and he smiled and replied "San Francisco."

Yuichi, was that you?

This is a long shot, but...

I was taking a bus going down Ashland St. in Chicago today when I saw a guy wearing a Verve Records T-shirt. He was with his girlfriend. I asked him where he scored the T, and he smiled and replied "San Francisco."

Yuichi, was that you?

nope. haha. but i did see a black dude walking around downtown with a Dustygroove shirt. i told my girl that it's one of the big record stores here, to which she replied "oh i see".

• This is a long shot, but...

Yuichi, was that you?

nope. haha. but i did see a black dude walking around downtown with a Dustygroove shirt. i told my girl that it's one of the big record stores here, to which she replied "oh i see".

ironically enough, dusty grooves is on ashland st., and we were about five blocks away from it when the transaction took place

• This weekend is also the Chicago Jazz Festival. I checked the main stage out for a few hours last night and caught the Great Black Music Ensemble, which included some members of the Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians, and a trio of Jack DeJohnette, John Scofield and Larry Goldings, who played Tony Williams music. It was OK, nothing mind-blowing but definitely a cool night for site-seeing and listening to some music in front of the skyline.

There are a bunch of jazz fest afterhours too. You could check the Velvet Lounge on like 22nd Street and Indiana Avenue or the Hot House on Balbo and State or the Green Mill on Lawrence.

Also, if you are going to check out the Hyde Park area, the Museum of Science and Industry is open 24 hours all weekend for the close-out of the Body Worlds exhibit.

yea i plan on going to hyde park today.

Body Worlds exhibit.

what is this though?!

thanks!

• It's a traveling exhibit with a bunch of human specimans that have been manipulated and stretched into different formations. Like this one dude's tissue was stretched so that he's like a inch thick and 15 feet tall. It's crazy.

woah...gnarly.

• I was thinking about checking that shit out late-night style, after several beers, at about 4 a.m. That will put a unqiue perspective on it all.

Hi, i'm back. my girl and I got off at 51st and went to Washington park to the African Festival. i was pretty cool with it for the most part, but my girl was scared to shit, so we went back and checked out the Jazz Festival instead.

The King Oliver tribute band was playing and got a standing ovation from over 1000 people. Soon after, the Joseph Jarman Sextet featuring Leroy Jenkins (violin), Myra Melford (piano), and Jessica Jones (tenor sax) took stage. I said to my gf that people are gonna start leaving; I was right. I saw the majority of people talking or looking confused, and about 4 groups of people came and left behind us. Most of them saying stuff like "That guy really doesn't know how to sing" and "this is crap". At one point i was so tired of this group of 40 year old dudes talking shit, that i glared back at one of 'em. and they left soon after.

The show was incredible. Made perfect sense to me. and was funny as hell, as it followed the King Oliver tribute band's rousing ovation. With this show, I would say 2% of the audience thoroughly enjoyed it, with 2 Black elderly gentlemen giving them a standing ovation. I had a great time though.

Chi-town definitely got jazz, good food, and nice tourist sites. next time, i need to check out the record shops though.

• Hi, i'm back. my girl and I got off at 51st and went to Washington park to the African Festival. i was pretty cool with it for the most part, but my girl was scared to shit, so we went back and checked out the Jazz Festival instead.

haha damn man i missed this, what was she scared of????

Hi, i'm back. my girl and I got off at 51st and went to Washington park to the African Festival. i was pretty cool with it for the most part, but my girl was scared to shit, so we went back and checked out the Jazz Festival instead.

haha damn man i missed this, what was she scared of????

the not-so-pretty scenery around the station, (compared to downtown) and the amount of black people in the area. haha.