The Stupidest MF on Earth (Not Bush Surprisingly)

funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Senator Hastert from Illinois...House Speaker: Rebuilding N.O. doesn't make senseThursday, 2:55 p.m.By Bill WalshWashington bureauWASHINGTON - House Speaker Dennis Hastert dropped a bombshell on flood-ravaged New Orleans on Thursday by suggesting that it isn???t sensible to rebuild the city."It doesn't make sense to me," Hastert told the Daily Herald in suburban Chicago in editions published today. "And it's a question that certainly we should ask."Hastert's comments came as Congress cut short its summer recess and raced back to Washington to take up an emergency aid package expected to be $10 billion or more. Details of the legislation are still emerging, but it is expected to target critical items such as buses to evacuate the city, reinforcing existing flood protection and providing food and shelter for a growing population of refugees.The Illinois Republican???s comments drew an immediate rebuke from Louisiana officials.???That???s like saying we should shut down Los Angeles because it???s built in an earthquake zone,??? former Sen. John Breaux, D-La., said. ???Or like saying that after the Great Chicago fire of 1871, the U.S. government should have just abandoned the city.??? Hastert said that he supports an emergency bailout, but raised questions about a long-term rebuilding effort. As the most powerful voice in the Republican-controlled House, Hastert is in a position to block any legislation that he opposes."We help replace, we help relieve disaster," Hastert said. "But I think federal insurance and everything that goes along with it... we ought to take a second look at that."The speaker???s comments were in stark contrast to those delivered by President Bush during an appearance this morning on ABC???s ???Good Morning America.??????I want the people of New Orleans to know that after rescuing them and stabilizing the situation, there will be plans in place to help this great city get back on its feet,??? Bush said. ???There is no doubt in my mind that New Orleans is going to rise up again as a great city.???Insurance industry executives estimated that claims from the storm could range up to $19 billion. Rebuilding the city, which is more than 80 percent submerged, could cost tens of billions of dollars more, experts projected.Hastert questioned the wisdom of rebuilding a city below sea level that will continue to be in the path of powerful hurricanes."You know we build Los Angeles and San Francisco on top of earthquake issures and they rebuild, too. Stubbornness," he said.Hastert wasn't the only one questioning the rebuilding of New Orleans. The Waterbury, Conn., Republican-American newspaper wrote an editorial Wednesday entitled, "Is New Orleans worth reclaiming?""Americans' hearts go out to the people in Katrina's path," it said. "But if the people of New Orleans and other low-lying areas insist on living in harm's way, they ought to accept responsibility for what happens to them and their property."

Comments

• Senator Hastert from Illinois...

???That???s like saying we should shut down Los Angeles because it???s built in an earthquake zone,??? former Sen. John Breaux, D-La., said. ???Or like saying that after the Great Chicago fire of 1871, the U.S. government should have just abandoned the city.???

i hope breaux has a nice salty taste in his mouth, cause that motherfucker votes with the republicans any fucking chance he gets.

bitch ass hastert couldnt have said anything about coastal development over natural barriers or possibly global warming? something a little more appropriate and tactful. bitchassbitch

• Well I think the main point they're getting at is if they rebuild it, it's still going to be 30 ft below sea level and this could possibly happen again.

And Cali cities are similar, just w/earthquakes.

bitch ass hastert couldnt have said anything about coastal development over natural barriers or possibly global warming? something a little more appropriate and tactful. bitchassbitch

That's true. From what I read it seems like a lot of NO's problems come from the destruction of natural barriers that buffered against flooding.

???That???s like saying we should shut down Los Angeles because it???s built in an earthquake zone,??? former Sen. John Breaux, D-La., said. ???Or like saying that after the Great Chicago fire of 1871, the U.S. government should have just abandoned the city.???

i hope breaux has a nice salty taste in his mouth, cause that motherfucker votes with the republicans any fucking chance he gets.

i just heard one of the reasons the flooding water went over the flood barrier (can't think of the name of it right now) was cause of the cut in funding for that program, initiated by bush over the last 4 years.

i just heard one of the reasons the flooding water went over the flood barrier (can't think of the name of it right now) was cause of the cut in funding for that program, initiated by bush over the last 4 years.

Right. The levy was built to withstand the onslaught of a category 3 hurricane head-on. Considering this, New Orleans is actually better off now than it would be if the hurricane would have hit the city directly at Cat. 5 force. Implausible to imagine, considering the situation now, but 90% of the city could be flooded 25-30 ft. right now.

The Army Corps of Engineers has received the funding cuts for programs in New Orleans over the last 4 years, but to be fair, they, along with others have been warning Presidents and Congresses since the 60's of the impending disaster considering the condition of the levy in New Orleans. Nothing has been done. The technology to protect the levy against Cat. 5 winds has long been established, as well as hydrolic technology used on levies to prevent flooding.

The Bush administration certainly has to take some of the blame for why the levy broke, but they share it with governments of the past.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Yea, but the Bush admin are the ones that make massive cuts under the guise of homeland defense and that we had to be ready to act quick if their is a disaster. Now of course they ment terrorist attack and act quick ment get thier ass to an underground base while the rest of us die. Anyhow they claimed they cut/moved these funds to help people when shit hits the fan and clearly they hadn't done anything to get ready for any kind of catastrophy. Disaster Monday, real relief doesn't start until Friday! That's the most pathetic thing! Other coutries are thinking we are total morons.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Update from Washington Post

Hastert Tries Damage Control After Remarks Hit a Nerve

By Charles Babington
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Saturday, September 3, 2005; Page A17

House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert began his day yesterday explaining that he really does not want to see New Orleans bulldozed, and he ended it defending his absence from the Capitol when Congress approved a $10.5 billion hurricane aid package. In between, a former president hinted he would like to throttle the Illinois Republican.

Hastert was still reeling from reaction to his comments earlier this week about the storm-ravaged city. "It looks like a lot of that place could be bulldozed," he said in an interview with the Daily Herald of Arlington Heights, Ill. Asked whether it made sense to spend billions of dollars rebuilding a city that lies below sea level, he told the paper, "I don't know. That doesn't make sense to me."

Hastert later issued a statement saying he was not "advocating that the city be abandoned or relocated." But Louisiana Democrats were incensed. Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco demanded an apology. "To kick us when we're down and destroy hope, when hope is the only thing we have left," she said, "is absolutely unthinkable for a leader in his position."

In Syracuse, N.Y., former president Bill Clinton was discussing New Orleans's dilemma when someone described the speaker's comments. Had they been in the same place when the remarks were made, Clinton said, "I'm afraid I would have assaulted him."

Hastert again tried to smooth things over. Shortly after a small number of House members unanimously approved the $10.5 billion relief plan at about 1 p.m., he issued a statement saying, "Our prayers and sympathies continue to be with the victims of Hurricane Katrina. In times like these, it is more important than ever for Americans to stand united in helping our fellow citizens."

But there was one problem: Hastert was not in Washington, and his top lieutenants had to oversee the vote. He was in Indiana attending a colleague's fundraiser, staff members said, and he later attended an antique car auction.

By 4 p.m., Hastert had reached the Capitol, eager to explain his tardiness and to try again to show his solidarity with Katrina's victims. The Indiana fundraiser, he told reporters, had been on his schedule "for a long, long time."

"Yes, I went to a charity auction," Hastert continued. "I took one of my cars and sold it for tens of thousands of dollars. And that money will go to hurricane relief efforts."

• Options
    Clinton said, "I'm afraid I would have assaulted him."

• I know Hastert's comments touched a raw nerve, but the question should be asked. With errosion and other issues, many predict there will be no NOLA in 50 years anyway.

I have personal friends who evacuated NOLA and lost EVERYTHING. They have no intention of going back. Almost all of their friends are looking for jobs elsewhere.

Who will go back to NOLA?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I know Hastert's comments touched a raw nerve, but the question should be asked. With errosion and other issues, many predict there will be no NOLA in 50 years anyway.

I have personal friends who evacuated NOLA and lost EVERYTHING. They have no intention of going back. Almost all of their friends are looking for jobs elsewhere.

Who will go back to NOLA?

Granted, the questions need to be asked....but not by him and not right now. It's just plain stupid and incredibly bad judgement.

• Clinton said, "I'm afraid I would have assaulted him."

• Granted, the questions need to be asked....but not by him and not right now. It's just plain stupid and incredibly bad judgement.

Good point.

This call for a patented NOT THE TIME to be sent his way.