Cross-genre artists

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central

sup,
i'm not one to segregate categories of music but..just interested in a discusson of artist that have done well in varying musical genres (not really talking about artists whose style has evolved with the times)

what comes to mind for me;

david bowie
beck(lo-fi buzz rock sound, acoustic folky ish, and the funky midnight vultures album)

for me i'd say funkadelic even though it might not be the case, but there's tunes where they just remind of a classic rock band and then other tunes where they remind me of the pure funk

what about that bill laswell dude? i dont know much about him, but his name keeps popping up in the oddest places

ps: nobody say guru plaese

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Carol King, queen of the cross-over. When it all comes down to it, a good song sounds good in any style.

• Bill Withers has as much in common with folkie singer-songwriters like James Taylor as he does with any of the soul singers of his era.

• Definitely these guys, they could do Country AND Western

• Paul Weller has done a mulititude of genres over the years: Mod Punk (the Jam); Acid Jazz, Soul, House, and Easy Listening (the Style Council); and, as a solo artist, what some have called "Dad Rock" (classic rock-ish).

SG

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts