Providence Record Show

GinsburgerGinsburger 36 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I haven't seen anyone mention it here. Tomorrow from 1-5pm at AS220 there's going to be a little record show. The place is small and there probably aren't going to be many people there, but who knows. I think this is the first year they're doing it because I'm 99% sure there wasn't one last year. It might be worth checking out and AS220 is a great place in general.Here's their little ad from the website:
The PROVIDENCE RECORD SHOW returns to AS220! Come and peruse used vinyl, cds and music ephemera. Contact Chris at What Cheer Antiques for more info: [email]whatcheerantiques@yahoo.com[/email] or 401-861-4244. More than 15 record collectors and dealers from throughout Southern New England will have rare finds and cheap goods for sale or trade. Be sure to hang out, flip through cool records and drink bloody marys at the cafe. FREE

Comments

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I dunno, considering Joe Beats works there and his roomate is Elektro4 I wouldn't really bother since they got the moody loops & breaks on lock.
    IMG SRC=http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yaoming.gif WIDTH=300>

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    If this is going to be as cool as it seems (been waiting for a local record show that was mellow with drinks and realz headz instead of the usual Monkees bootleg DVD dealers & stinky pants people...), I may just have to make the quick drive down from Boston. I hate how every time I go to Providence it's on Sunday, though, so I haven't been able to hit Round Again in over a year...and with In Your Ear closed, the pickings are pretty limited...any slightly secret Providence spots (besides the thrifts near Round Again) that I should know about?

• The pickings are pretty slim around here. Those thrift and antique shops you're talking about have been pretty crappy and the one that has some decent records way over prices them. I've been into Round Again a few times, but that guy is usually an asshole so I tend to stay away. There was another record store up in Wayland square, but it unfortunately closed last year. You can check Armageddon Shop for some decent stuff from what I've heard, although I've never been there since it's kinda far away from campus. Uh, I've heard there is a place called Time Capsule and one called (?) White's. Neither of those are in Providence, but they're close by. Again, never been to either one of them since I don't have a car..

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Thanks...yeah, that Round Again guy was kind of a dick the one time I went there, but I got some good 45's, and as usual in a place that "specializes" in 50's music, the cheapest 45 I got was the best one, a really rare early 70's funk side by Brenda & the Tabulations, "Scuze Us Y'all," for $2! Finding stuff like that will make anyone want to go back for a second chance. He sells on eBay, and always has dope records on there, so I wanna go in the store and say, "can I see your 'hold for eBay' pile?" Those thrift stores have occasional goodies, but don't get new records in very often...my sister lives near Providence, and says the antique/thrift stores are where all the records are, she's got a pretty good eye/ear, and has pulled stuff for me out of antique stores around there, some solid soul 45's. etc.
    Thanks again for the tip on the Providence show, I think my boy & I are gonna check it out, maybe we'll see you there.

• Sounds good. I'll probably be there a little after one. I'm a Mexican guy with a big beard...So I shouldn't be hard to spot.