wizard of oz /pink floyde(darksideofthemoon)myth

DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
can somebody into drug legends explain this one to me?!?!?!while you trip on acid,watch the movie on mute and play dark side of the moon!?!?!and eventually the music blends with the film instantly????

Comments

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    It works. It really works. A movie theatre out here plays them together and they call it "Dark Side of Oz" Its pretty dope. Start the cd after the lion roars 3 times /

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    It works. It really works. A movie theatre out here plays them together and they call it "Dark Side of Oz" Its pretty dope. Start the cd after the lion roars 3 times /

Yeah, what he said. Works surprisingly well.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

Yeah, what he said. Works surprisingly well.

heh yeah I articulate very well on the internet.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    It does work, its a total trip how everything synchs up. Except when the cd's done and the movies half over- what are you supposed to do at that point?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    no myth... it's fucking weird. it's better to use a cd player on repeat. start it on the 3rd roar of the MGM lion. -magic_jackson (fucking nerd)
    ps. "brain damage" just came on the radio here. weirder.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

yep, in fact i dont even know if ive ever seen the movie with its original audio...the past 3 or 4 times ive watched it was with dark side of the moon playing over it. i guess thats what i get for growing up around one of the biggest pink floyd fans ever..haha

synchs up surprisingly well. i recommend it.

plus i love that album anyway. all other pink floyd stuff is pretty hit or miss but that album is dead on for me.

Except when the cd's done and the movies half over- what are you supposed to do at that point?
    it's better to use a cd player on repeat
    do you know how to use one of those, jerms?

it's better to use a cd player on repeat. start it on the 3rd roar of the MGM lion.

yes, this works perfect...but the thing ive always wondered is...

who discovered this, and when? i always pictured this being discovered in the days of vinyl, which makes me wonder how they would have cued everything up and repeated as precisely as a cd player does...

then again, vcr's werent incredibly common in the "days of vinyl", so maybe this is a more recent discovery...

also, has anybody from pink floyd ever commented on this? maybe i should do some research as this has always interested me...

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I trasfered it to DVD.... I don't know how fun it would be to try to sync it manually every time...lol I think you could probobly download it actually. I'm sure someone has done it. I've traded it enough and I know other people have sync'd it up as well

What's ill is how the music doesn't only sync, but sets the mood perfectly also. Like dark scenes = dark music etc... Good shit.

I also got that Melody Nelson or whatever Serge Gainsbourgh 2 hour movie/music video. That's a trip too, especially since the movie opens with the beatnuts break. I never really listened to that lp until after I watched the movie. Gave me a new appreciation for it.

Melody Nelson or whatever Serge Gainsbourg

one of my favorite albums ever, and i still need a copy!

whats this dvd you speak of?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Anybody ever tried it with this instead?

• The wildest part for me is when the cd is playing for the 2nd time, and during the track "Brain Damage" I think the lyric is "you raise the blade"... and right then Tin Man raises his axe from their hiding spot!

I guess at one point during 2001: A Space Odyssey you can play Floyds "Echoes" and it synchs even better than the Dark Side/Oz deal.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Melody Nelson Serge Gainsbourgh movie/music video.

so dope

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i've discovered a similar phenomenon in syncing e-40's grit & grind with the longest yard (burt reynolds og, if course, not the crappy reissue with adam sandler)

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Wait... the Melody Nelson LP is less than 30 minutes long. There's a 2 hour movie?

DJ Ferrari

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    http://www.5minutestolive.com/1D/SERGETV.htm

although that says it only runs for 28 minutes.

in addition to melody nelson there's a bunch of shit on that website i would love to see but can't bring myself to pay $20 for a home burnt dvd.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    Melody Nelson Serge Gainsbourgh movie/music video.

so dope

damn i wanna see this!!!!! is it at suspect??

• also, has anybody from pink floyd ever commented on this? maybe i should do some research as this has always interested me...

They deny all of it, however it is true they wanted to show parts of the movie during their Dark Side tour.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    The theory is all bullshit, however it does work very well. Then again, after this a lot of PF fans wanted to link other movies with other albums. If you look at how DSOTM was recorded and put together, as well as written, it's obvious that "The Wizard Of Oz" was not in mind. A good legend, but it was one nerd getting guy and going OH SHIT!

The theory is all bullshit, however it does work very well. Then again, after this a lot of PF fans wanted to link other movies with other albums. If you look at how DSOTM was recorded and put together, as well as written, it's obvious that "The Wizard Of Oz" was not in mind. A good legend, but it was one nerd getting guy and going OH SHIT!
    have you ever seen it?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Except when the cd's done and the movies half over- what are you supposed to do at that point?

smoke two more bowls, eat another cap and rewind that bia...

where i live, they play this at the planet-arium, so you got wizard of oz, synched with dark side, all laced with a lazer light show...SHIT IS

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

For real? I was told that they had actually written it for the wizard of Oz and were planning to take the movie on tour with them and play it in the background on tour, but the movie rights owners wouldn't allow it. Wouldn't surprise me if that was false though.

• Anybody ever tried it with this instead?

i was in a theatre production of this as "the wiz" himself when i was 11.
    Should have heard my soprano stylings.