›

Tuxedo - Jake One Related

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited March 2015 in Strut Central
Forgive me for the :latte: Haven't got excited about a new album in a long time.

This new Tuxedo LP is

Props to Soul Strut alum Jake One for the beats and music making (Him and Big Chan got me into boogie and modern soul many years a go) ... And Mayer Hawthorne... never took dude seriously until I heard this. Woweee. Magma coming out of my Macbook speakers.

It's throwback 80s soul / funk. They also redeux Snoop's "Aint No Fun".

Anybody else bumping this?

http://www.stonesthrow.com/store/album/tuxedo/tuxedo

Comments

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    yep! http://www.soulstrut.com/forums/viewthread/75609/

haven't listened to the whole album yet, but all the tracks ive heard so far have been perfect. need to decide whether to cop on vinyl or cassette...

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    slaps on slaps on slaps

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah this is killer - didn't they do a free EP a year or so back with three tracks form this album?

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Incredible work by Jake One. Unfortunately after about 3 songs I find Hawthorne intolerable.

• It's not bad but it should have come out 10 years ago when interest in revisiting this sound peaked. Isn't everybody sick of this stuff yet?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    SmallAxeRick said:
    It's not bad but it should have come out 10 years ago when interest in revisiting this sound peaked. Isn't everybody sick of this stuff yet?

Maybe for us record nerds. Judging that one of their YouTube videos has over a million hits and their soundcloud page has hundreds of thousands of listen, I would say there is a new audience digging this stuff.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Retro 80's will continue to be hot, but folks are doing the 90's already.
    Like Hindsight and shit.

Dam Funk > Hawthorne.

SmallAxeRick said:
    It's not bad but it should have come out 10 years ago when interest in revisiting this sound peaked. Isn't everybody sick of this stuff yet?

ridiculous to say that interest in revisiting this sound peaked 10 years ago... it's only just now hitting a peak, or getting there. every month there's a new modern funk artist/label/release that pops up, and the sound is only now hitting mainstream radio ("uptown funk")

willie_fugal said:
    SmallAxeRick said:

ridiculous to say that interest in revisiting this sound peaked 10 years ago... it's only just now hitting a peak, or getting there. every month there's a new modern funk artist/label/release that pops up, and the sound is only now hitting mainstream radio ("uptown funk")

Dam Funk was 6 years ago.

But Treasure was a hit.

crazy that the dam-funk set was already 6 years ago...

that's for sure not when interest in this sound peaked though. i wouldn't say it kicked off the interest but it was a big part. the scene's gotten a LOT bigger in last 6 years.

Yeah i wouldnt say it peaked either. The latest Styvesants joint is GQ 80s beays type shit but it has been bubblin for a long minute by now.
    Wasnt Chromeo kinda delving into that shit too?
    I find some of the Tuxedo stuff to sound formulaic and too referencial.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Morgan Geist - 24K (Environ, 2001)

Chicken Lips - He Not In (Azuli, 2002)

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    I don't dig Hawthorne, beats are cool but generic 80's Gap Bandish. Jake does much better in other genres,so thumbs down from me...

batmon said:
    Wasnt Chromeo kinda delving into that shit too?

Chromeo's perfect example. Started in '02, first album '04, didn't really hit the charts until 2014 though.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Holy shit—Chromeo is still around? Man I am disconnected.

• ThermosThermos 307 Posts
    It's a solid record and "do it" is a great single, but I wish the album moved more in that direction, with more dynamic arrangements and doo wop elements. Throwback 80s boogie is a crowded field these days and Tuxedo isn't standing out far from the pack.

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    I still love Chromeo, that jam session at Darryl Hall's studio was the shit!
    I fear they may go the sellout pop music route though eventually. :(

djtopcat said:
    I still love Chromeo, that jam session at Darryl Hall's studio was the shit!
    I fear they may go the sellout pop music route though eventually. :(

To be fair, what theyre doing is referencing "Sellout Pop" anyways.