chico hamilton is a VERY underrated dude

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
i celebrate his entire impulse! catalog. some of his early stuff on impulse! recorded in like '61 sounds like stuff you'd hear in '69. always ahead of his time. i love his playing, i love the groups he assembled (him, gabor, and charles lloyd were the SHIT), and the music itself is lovely. *appreciates*

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I agree.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I agree.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

This is my shit right here. I love any of Chico's work with Nate Gershman on cello, but this one blows my mind.

Another favorite, featuring Eric Dolphy:

And I WANT this one:

speaking of Chico, does anyone know if the OST to Polanski's "Repulsion" was ever released?

• And I WANT this one:

hmmm never seen that one. have you heard it?

• speaking of Chico, does anyone know if the OST to Polanski's "Repulsion" was ever released?
    he did the score to that??

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    hmmm never seen that one. have you heard it?

Well, I've seen the film a number of times, and the score is dope. Chico & the Quintet are in the film, too, with Chico actually having some lines and being involved in the story, as one of the main characters is this Johnny Smith-type guitarist who is a member of his group. Finding that JPG tonight was the first time I remember seeing the soundtrack LP, but now I gots to have it.

• speaking of Chico, does anyone know if the OST to Polanski's "Repulsion" was ever released?

Four tracks of Repulsion were released to fill up an Italian Cam release of Johnny Scott's Study in Terror. Together the Hamilton tracks are about the length of an EP so perhaps there's an EP too. It doesn't have the weird nightmare jazz that's in the film though. The film is called Repulsione in Italy.

I think the Sweet Smell of Succes soundtrack is great too. I'm a fan of Fred Katz, who's on cello. That guy did incredible soundtracks.

Creature from the Haunted Sea (1961)
    The Little Shop of Horrors (1960)
    The Wasp Woman (1960)
    ... aka Insect Woman
    ... aka The Bee Girl
    Battle of Blood Island (1960)
    Ski Troop Attack (1960)
    Beast from Haunted Cave (1959) (uncredited)
    A Bucket of Blood (1959)

Little Shop of Horrors was released on Rhino. That's a super record. It has that psycho beatnik jazz vibe. He did the backgrounds to the Word Jazz records too, as you all know...

• I agree.

manila for sure!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I am a fan...dude also had that Art Blakey thing goin on as far as having an ear for up and coming talent and putting them in his band...also a very unique drummer. This is prolly my raerest chico record, featuring Eric Dolphy:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I also agree.

One of my favourite all-time records of, you know, all time is Chico Hamilton Special (1960) with Nate Gershman; Robert Haynes, Harry Polk and Charles Lloyd.It's beautiful.

And I WANT this one:
    I agree.

I was a litte disappointed in this ??? I thought oooh weee ??? Dolphy and Hamilton together! But it ended up sounding kinda light to me. I should pull it out and try again.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

I was just listeningto this last night...very good record

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    also the soundtrack to "repulsion" directed by polanski.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    speaking of Chico, does anyone know if the OST to Polanski's "Repulsion" was ever released?

Four tracks of Repulsion were released to fill up an Italian Cam release of Johnny Scott's Study in Terror. Together the Hamilton tracks are about the length of an EP so perhaps there's an EP too. It doesn't have the weird nightmare jazz that's in the film though. The film is called Repulsione in Italy.

Yeah, you can have a look at it on the italiansoundtrack website. Dope one! The movie should have gotten released properly! So many good sampleable moments! Gabor Szabo was involved in the composing work, if I remember correctly. I have been trying to find the Repulsione score forever! It's one of the toughest records to find for me!

Yeah, you can have a look at it on the italiansoundtrack website. Dope one! The movie should have gotten released properly! So many good sampleable moments! Gabor Szabo was involved in the composing work, if I remember correctly. I have been trying to find the Repulsione score forever! It's one of the toughest records to find for me!

so, the score exists? on vinyl?

....oh shit!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

yes on CAM

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

....oh shit!

HAHA! Yes, "oh shit"!!!!!!!!