Is Skateboarding America's Real #1 Pastime?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited July 2014 in Strut Central
In my hood i see every demographic participating in skateboarding.

I did it as a kid in the early 80s and grew out of it. It wasnt "Hip"in The Bronx then, despite Cali already goin hard.

They built some ramps near the Stadium back in the early 90s and after a minute it was kinda milk carton around here for a minute.

Now Ive seen crazy amounts of local kids and kids from other areas come around and rock this shit.

It seems like it has never died and the only kids I dont see doin it are young White girls....around here. But ive seen a handfull here and there, along with the occasional girlfriend recording her buddies with a cam.

It also seems like its sustained its somewhat counter-cultural vibe while still be embraced by all levels of culture/media/demographics.

The shit hasnt slowed down. I think its amazing how it hasnt lost its grip.

I dont see that mix of goofy nerds and cool kids mix in any other "sport".

Whats The Deele?

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    the deal is as soon as you step on a board it's action
    no asshole coach
    no team
    no uniform
    no rules
    moving art
    who can say no to that?
    [other than the fat nazi pigs]

its cracking in uganda

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Not a team sport. Self expression. Probably the main appeal.

I skated almost everyday from about age 9 until 19-20. It's great exercise, tons of fun, and you do your own thing. I played baseball, soccer, and basketball as a kid and all of them had that team sports mentality that I didn't like. Some middle aged coach yelling at you because you aren't fulfilling his dream. It's great being part of a team, but it can also suck and feel kind of shitty. Skateboarding definitely has it's shitty interactions, immaturity, nonsense, but it's a great individual sport that you can do with friends.

It also seems a lot more fun and positive these days compared to my prime of 92-95. It might also be my changed point of view, but it just seems less cliquey and more just an even appreciation for people of different skills and styles.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    They built a new skatepark near the old stadium and its always filled with kids........and there is no drug element.

No separate faction huddled in the corner smoking weed and shit.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    batmon said:
    They built a new skatepark near the old stadium and its always filled with kids........and there is no drug element.

No separate faction huddled in the corner smoking weed and shit.

don't kid yourself dude
    guys will be blunted b4 during and after a session
    maybe not in front of you but its going on
    weed and skateboards are like pb and j

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Am I a bad person for wanting to clothesline students skateboarding to class on campus?

Nah, that's kind of lame, especially if they are wearing flip flops or riding a long board. However, if dude or dudette is cruising through campus and nonchalantly kickflips a 7 stair on the way to class, that's awesome.

• Fucking is America's #1 pastime.

Skateboarding is for kids who want to hurt themselves but haven't graduated to cutting or heroin yet.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Nah, that's kind of lame, especially if they are wearing flip flops or riding a long board. However, if dude or dudette is cruising through campus and nonchalantly kickflips a 7 stair on the way to class, that's awesome.

Their boards are hella long bro.
    All attempted tricks I've seen are lame, although lazy skateboarder was the innovator of my favorite overheard expression to what happened to him the other day:

"I brozed off"

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    LazarusOblong said:

Skateboarding is for kids who want to hurt themselves but haven't graduated to cutting or heroin yet.

I gotta hand it to you: you're a troll of the highest order. I am so angry with you that I want to take the bait and bleed for skateboarding--the greatest thing upon this planet--but I will check in at drunk thread instead okay peace

PS yes skateboarding is huge and better than ever BATMON!

If you ever see someone carrying their skateboard by the truck, they're just in it for the transportation aspect. That is a sure sign of a phoney balogna.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    In my city, skateboarding has become a lot more hip in the last 3 years. Before that, it was people riding around as slowly as they can on silly cruiser bikes with the chopper handlebars.

Skateboarding has never fully gone away as far back as I can remember, and I don't think it ever will. But skateboarding today is especially ubiquitous. Just like beards, it's tied to being hip imo.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Barcelona unisex hipster checklist :

tattoos
    skateboard
    piercings

Haven't skated since I was 14, but boards are so ubiquitous here that I've been considering it for transport. The city is very pedestrian friendly, and it's on a gentle slope so 50% of my journeys would be effortless. Metro back uphill doe.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Hipster skating ubiquitous in LDN too.
    These dudes practice forever up against some 6" step, and never seem to land a flip.
    So lame.
    Back in my day, it was all and only about ramps, rims and lips (no ayo)

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    the industry is exploding too

x-games took over texas this summer

the branding the kid prodigies...everyone is including from hiphop,punk,goth,straightedge and are all stoked

some of the 90s dudes started clothing lines and are now millionaires

you see the pics and videos you can follow your guys its so close for a kid to try to be like his idol

you buy a lebron jersey and are consious you will never dunk

you by a ryan schekler board, shoes, poster, his tshirt company his cap, his backpack, stickers trucks wheels
    and then you watch him win xgames at 12 years old and say i want to be like him

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    phoney balogna

Whoa, slow down with the skater slang, bro. Not all of us here are hip to your insider code words but don't leave us out of the conversation.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Let's please never refer to what people on longboards are doing as skateboarding, or them as skateboarders.
    Thank You - Have a wonderful day.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    As long as skating can hold off the putrid rise of stand-up paddleboarding, all is good.

Sidewalk surfing.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    As long as skating can hold off the putrid rise of freestyle walking, all is good.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    As long as skating can hold off the putrid rise of stand-up paddleboarding, all is good.

Sidewalk surfing.

ENTER MATTY MAC:

• dukeofdelridge said:
    LazarusOblong said:

I gotta hand it to you: you're a troll of the highest order. I am so angry with you that I want to take the bait and bleed for skateboarding--the greatest thing upon this planet--but I will check in at drunk thread instead okay peace

If that sort of thing makes you mad you're a road rage incident waiting to happen.

Meanwhile ESPN has two pieces up about the death of playground basketball, including one by Rick Telander, who wrote a great book called "Heaven Is A Playground" back in the 70s.

Apparently kids these days don't like to play outside... except for the ones who collect multiple fractures.

dukeofdelridge said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Sidewalk surfing.

ENTER MATTY MAC:

Ha! Of course that photo exists.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    At this point, I support any activity that gets kids outside and exercising, up to and including running around throwing rocks at each other (which we totally did when I was a kid anyway).

To answer the original question, maybe if you threw in ripsticks and scooters. But if we are talking about kids, I'd have to go with soccer in a landslide.

HarveyCanal said:
    To answer the original question, maybe if you threw in ripsticks and scooters. But if we are talking about kids, I'd have to go with soccer in a landslide.

In my hood the only folks playing Football are late teen through early 20s Africans, West Indians, and Central/South Americans.

Mostly Dudes w/ a sprinkle of Girls from 12 through 20+ Black, Latin, Asian, and Caucasoid are Skating.

The Soccer field is usually being used on the weekend, and the Baseball fields are mostly Dominican.

You dont see Grown Hipsters w/ boards rollin' thru the hood. If so, they are filming the other kids skate at the hotspots and arent living here.

batmon said:
    You dont see Grown Hipsters w/ boards rollin' thru the hood. If so, they are filming the other kids skate at the hotspots and arent living here.

Are there even hipsters in the Bronx? I thought they were still scared to go that far uptown.

DB_Cooper said:
    batmon said:

Are there even hipsters in the Bronx? I thought they were still scared to go that far Uptown.

Thank God for that!!

batmon said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    batmon said:

Are there even hipsters in the Bronx? I thought they were still scared to go that far Uptown.

Thank God for that!!

Reality: :puto:

Perception: :dead:

DB_Cooper said:
    batmon said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    batmon said:

Thank God for that!!

Reality: :puto:

Perception: :dead:

Hello!!!!

Point Rasta-Far Rye!!!

They're actually sponsors of one of our upcoming events, although I haven't tried their beers yet. :bizzo:

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I used to skateboard back in the late 90s as a kid. I had a shitty k-mart skateboard and I couldn't even ollie on that thing. Not like my friend who had the cool Powell Perralta board. Damn I was jealous. By my freshman year in highschool I moved to georgia and I was over it.

When I moved back to California in 1999 skateboarding was everywhere. Here is San Diego it seems like it never died.

For my birthday I finally decided to give it a second shot and I bought a skateboard from sports authority. It's harder than I remember it. And I just wanted to ride around on the sidewalk, no do any tricks or anything.

I noticed that all the people that skateboard around the neighborhood kick with their back foot and leave their front foot on the board. But when I was a kid I left my back foot on the board and pushed forward with my front foot and that is somehow still ingrained in my muscle memory. So I feel like I should probably train myself to do it the way I see everybody else do it but it's really hard!

Skateboarding is hard. I just wanted to ride around the block dammit.