Chuck Berry Elderberry Strawberry

mightyjuniormightyjunior 3 Posts
edited July 2014 in Strut Central
Hi,
I am new here, this forum looks wicked, glad I found it ...

I have been looking for a track for a while now, it's a funk tune,

all I remember are the lyrics, it goes something like :

Chuck berry, Elderberry, Strawberries ...

(there is also mention of some other fruits, mango, papaya ...)

i've looked on the net, but no luck,

any tips would be much apreciated !!!

Comments

• gr8 movie btw ...

the tune is also quite funny ...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Mighty Junior, I think this is what you want:

• aaaaaah !!!

thx a million, been loooking a long time for this one ...

here's a bit of info i founds (not much):

Song Of The Day by Eric Berman ÔÇô ÔÇ£Silly SavageÔÇØ by The Golden Toadstools

ÔÇ£Chuck Berry, strawberry, cranberry and dingleberry, baby!ÔÇØ

And so begins one of the most funked-up romps IÔÇÖve ever heard this side of the Godfather Of Soul himself! Next to nothing is known about The Golden Toadstools, who originally released this one-off record written by Merlin Jones and Wayne Branham back in 1966. After doing much research I couldnÔÇÖt come up with any information about who Jones and Branham are, who the group was or where they were from. All I could find is information about the record label that released this one of a kind record, which duly follows.

The record was released on the Minaret record label which was founded inNashvillein the early sixties by Herb Shucher, and then sold to Finley Duncan in 1966.Duncanleased the record to Shelby Singleton who re-released it in 1968.

Shelby Singleton ran Plantation Records (home of Jeannie C. Riley and the ÔÇ£Harper Valley P.T.A.ÔÇØ), and before that was a talent scout for Mercury Records responsible for finding hits by Paul and Paula (ÔÇ£Hey PaulaÔÇØ), Phil Phillips (ÔÇ£Sea Of LoveÔÇØ), The Big Bopper (ÔÇ£Chantilly LaceÔÇØ), Bruce Channel (ÔÇ£Hey BabyÔÇØ) and Johnny Preston (ÔÇ£Running BearÔÇØ). He purchased the legendary Sun label in 1969, the original home of Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins, to name but a few, and continued to mine their treasured vaults until his death in 1977.

This song came into my orbit via a 79-track soul and funk playlist called Funky Niblets, that was given to me by my cousin. Ive had this playlist on my iPod for several years now, and like the record itself, I couldnt find any other information about who made the playlist or where it came from. The b-side to this single is called WeepingRiver. Ive never heard it

Dead ends never sounded so good.