Who is the most complicated or complex rapper?

Mel_GibsonMel_Gibson 664 Posts
edited August 2005 in Music Talk
Once again, I gotta roll with Ma$e on this one. Ice Cube, Tupac & Jay-Z are some of the more obvious picks but they didn't have me fooled like Ma$e did--which is, I think, a testament to his complexity.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i'll go with either GZA or bizzy bone. no joke on the last one.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Yeah, it's him or this guy:

thugs in ohio are getting ready to kill someone...

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Hope it wasn't supposed to be complicated AND listenable...

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

thugs in ohio are getting ready to kill someone...

who is this?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    who is this?

aesop rock. he doesn't get my vote. but then again, i don't really understand the question.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Posdnous from De La Soul really pushed some complex thoughts across in his lyrics from 3 Feet High onward. I still listen to Stakes is high and get amazed at how poignant his lyrics are and how underrated he's been for his entire career.

And no I'm not talking flashy word play as much as I am talking about real talk

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    uhm... Saafir. (for making the complex entertaining at the same time)

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Canibus without a question. I hate that people can associate with him is a horrid debut album, wyclef, and ll beef. this guy has been riddled with the worst production on the face of this earth which is why i guess he gets no props. and he's not some emo rap shit mc either, or nerd rap (i.e. opening an enclyopedia and just rhyming words that end in "tion") . this guy is a computer scientist/rocket scientist genius. his vocabulary is phenomenal and topic range is nuts. he hipped me up to something in my own culture that i wasn't aware of in his lyrics (the bhagvad gita) and his album "mic curriculum" take hip hop lyricism to a place not even touched before or since, its like listening to an intelligent professor give lectures on mythology and geology....but the production sucks. but its worth it to listen to for lyrics alone. i feel he's someone that will be appreciated by underground heads in the year 2040 when his style may become the norm. his annunciation sp? is so clear cut and precise and he can rap for days...

BUT

he made and makes continous stupid decisions. released the most wackest rap album ever (c true hollywood stories) and his latest are terrible too. i'l admit he's monotonous. not much personality...but damn,when he came out i printed his lyrics from ohhla.com and used to look up the terms he used that i didnt understand. in an industry that seems to dumb down intelligence "yo will, u used a school word?" i guess i can see why he gets no love. but if there was anyone that could show how mindblowing of a medium lyrical wizardry could be(and not just punchlines), i'd put my money on him. its a shame he's dumbing himself down now to be "down".

Canibus
    this guy is a computer scientist
    i always felt he rapped about computers a bit much.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

He gets my vote for Most Nonsensical.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Canibus
    this guy is a computer scientist
    i always felt he rapped about computers a bit much.

as sort of a computer geek myself, or someone who dabbled in programming, some of the technlogy metaphors he makes are hilarious and witty as hell. guess i'm a geek for enjoying it, but if an mc wants to rap about technology, history, metaphysics,sciences, i'm all ears, unlike those half-rate abstract nerd mcs who aren't saying nothing new.

i'm gunna threadjack here, but i've never gotten down to much E-40.
    any particular tracks you would suggest for the uninitiated?

this is kinda like when yall ran down Too $hort stuff for Phill. did that experiment work btw?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    As for "complex", I'll go with Mr Complex.
    And "f@$k being hard, Posdonous is COMPLICATED".

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts
    -------Man in the avi

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    you all are sleeping...MIKE JONES IS FUCKING COMPLEX

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

1 + 1 = 3

chr*s, my kid can rap that mike jones song on point.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

ya it was meant as a joke...but you NEEED to record that shit!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

I keep imagining these guys doing headspins like this. sideways.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    "mic curriculum"

I thought the track he did with Kool G Rap was great. Not just cause one of my best friends did the beat, but it was just nice to hear both of them go off. Seemed like a good pairing of streets meet place of higher learning rap styles.

As far as complex rap... Anyone that drops high paced lyrics in another language. Cause you could have that shit written down on paper in front of me and I would be a mumble mouth f00l!

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

[

that gets my vote for most complicated song that's never been made

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Pure black people mon that's all I mon know

- spidey

that gets my vote for most complicated song that's never been made
    he even sticks his hand in his mouth, so that he not only he looks like he's rocking the mic, but so that he's also unintelligible. < this was his answer when i asked him about it.

• I guess some of you folks missed the "late registration - 5 stars in rolling stone" thread--I'm talking "complicated" or "complex" personality-wise. Lyrically, though, I'm still rolling with Ma$e.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    I guess some of you folks purposefully stayed the fuck away from [/b] the "late registration - 5 stars in rolling stone" thread

kanye's album drops today (i think?) and i'm already SO over him, ohmygod.