ethiopian music UNDERappreciation

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
here in seattle, we have the second largest ethiopian population (outside of D.C.?) with plenty of awesome restaurants and cultural centers throughout the city. i always hear about raers such as mulatu astatke and mahmoud ahmed, but never about my favorite, tilahun gessesse. when i first heard his music (around 4-5yrs ago), i immediately felt it's uptempo "rocksteady" timing, but as soon as tilahun started singing, it was . when i asked the restaurant owner who it was, she said "the ethiopian elvis", when a voice from the kitchen came back, "no! the elvis was the american tilahun". anyone ever find LP's of his? all i ever see are tapes.

Comments

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Did he make the "Big Pimpin" original? Don't have the energy to

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Did he make the "Big Pimpin" original? Don't have the energy to
    i don't think so. that was: Hossam Ramzy according to that site
    i think it was indian raer.

so does this guy have breaks?? is it sorta reggae ish? he looks a lil liberace like there. (no offense)

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    here in seattle, we have the second largest ethiopian population (outside of Ethiopia[/b])

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    here in seattle, we have the second largest ethiopian population (outside of Ethiopia[/b])

i didn't think anyone would need that clarification.

• Options
    here in seattle, we have the second largest ethiopian population (outside of Toronto[/b])

• Aster Aweke is nice. She has a remarkable voice. There is this one joint she has that is some nice lounge chill out type jumpoff that just kills it for me. Man DC definately does have a pretty big Ethiopian population. They wanted to take one block and call it little Ethiopia and all the neighborhood peoples killed that noise with a quickness.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    "the ethiopian elvis

god i hate when people say shit like that. once i heard fela described as the "african" bob marley. sigh.