Chocolate Chicken

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited May 2014 in Strut Central
A few weeks ago I read about a restaurant that is going to specialize in chocolate chicken.

This weekend I got to thinking that I need to come up with a chocolate chicken recipe. Not a mole. Something simpler and less traditional.

I looked at some recipes on line and tried this one.

4 boneless chicken thighs
2 tablespoon honey
4 tablespoons of Olive Oil, divided
1 red pepper diced
?? cup fresh ginger ???peeled and julienned
1 small onion
1 clove of garlic, finely minced
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Paprika to taste
1 cup of white wine
2 tbsp 100% cocoa

Directions:
??? Marinate thighs in honey, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, red pepper, ginger, onion, garlic, salt, paprika, and pepper. Saut?? in pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil until chicken is brown. Honey will caramelize in the pan.
??? In a separate pan, melt chocolate with 1 tbsp of butter and stir until smooth.
??? Divide chicken and vegetables evenly among four plates. Deglaze hot pan with wine and reduce by half.
??? Add in melted chocolate and reduce down. Drizzle over and around the chicken.

Which I followed closely. Even though I saw some serious problems.

First problem is I didn't do boneless thighs, so after browning I put the lid on baked on the stove top.
Couldn't really deglaze, because there was no glaze, just lots of juices.
The reduction was way too bitter. I added about a T sugar to cut the bitterness a little. But still.

Other problem. Not really a marinade, no acid.
In my mind the veggies should not go in the marinade.
Next time I am adding orange juice and soy sauce.

Way too much wine.
I thought it was going to be too much ginger, but the ginger was nice.

So next time. Orange juice, soy sauce and cayenne in the marinade.
Add veggies and ginger after browning during simmering.
Do not cook in marinade.
OJ (or apple juice?)instead of wine in the reduction.

Most of the other recipes I saw were quick and easy mole. Which is ok, but not the way I want to go.
A few were currys with coconut milk. Coconut milk is not allowed in my home.

Suggestions are welcomed. If you already have a chocolate chicken recipe lets please share.

Comments

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

Coconut milk is not allowed in my home.

How come?

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    This thread's title put Busta's verse from Scenario into my head straight away

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

This weekend I got to thinking that I need to come up with a chocolate chicken recipe.

LMSYRT

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Cocoa-Expresso Rub...on a whole rosted chicken or on some grilled wings.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thanks all.
    Parallax - Everyone here eats most everything. But some people don't care for coconut.

Batmon - Have you tried that? Did you add red pepper flakes, kosher salt and sugar? Sounds like it could be good.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Batmon - Have you tried that? Did you add red pepper flakes, kosher salt and sugar? Sounds like it could be good.

The recipe I had was using a cup or two of made expresso. I wasnt gonna go to and have some one make it and walk the cup home.
    So I just copped the coffee can.
    A couple of heaps of Expresso or regular coffee, w/ cumin, salt pepper, ......the usual BBQ rub spices.

Ive never done Chocolate, but i'd imagine using or doing a sort of Mexican Chocolate or Sea Salt Chocolate with the Coffee and make that a rub....or a liquid mop or both....maybe rub w/ one flavor mix and mop w/ a liquid second mix.

I made some for some buddies at a BBQ/grill whatever and they thought it was different but not all that.
    The expresso leaves grit on the chicken. So id have to tweak it to make it smooth (the liquid)...more like a Mole..instead of coffee sand.

Bobby Flay shit

1/4 cup ancho chile powder
    1/4 cup finely ground espresso-roast coffee beans
    2 tablespoons sweet paprika
    2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    1 tablespoon dry mustard
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1 tablespoon ground coriander
    2 teaspoons ground ginger
    2 teaspoons chile de árbol powder or cayenne (optional)

???