New Mexico to Arizona

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited March 2014 in Strut Central
This winter has been punishing and I plan on getting lost for a few days.

I'm flying in to Albuquerque and renting a convertible and plan to drive as much of Route 66 as possible to Flagstaff.

Besides all the trip advisor / Yelp ad-naseum, anyone have experience exploring this area?

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    RAJ said:

I'm flying in to Albuquerque and renting a convertible and plan to drive as much of Route 66 as possible to Flagstaff.

Besides all the trip advisor / Yelp ad-naseum, anyone have experience exploring this area?

This is a great ride......too bad you're going to miss the easter half of Route 66.

I'm always amazed at how many foreign tourists I run into when I'm on Route 66...they appreciate it more than most Americans.

I know the eastern half very well and could make some recommendations but am not that familiar with the western half......I'll be taking a similar trip this summer from the Texas panhandle to Cali.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    RAJ said:

This is a great ride......too bad you're going to miss the easter half of Route 66.

I'm always amazed at how many foreign tourists I run into when I'm on Route 66...they appreciate it more than most Americans.

I know the eastern half very well and could make some recommendations but am not that familiar with the western half......I'll be taking a similar trip this summer from the Texas panhandle to Cali.

Yeah, I contemplated Amarillo to ABQ, BUT I really want to see the painted desert / petrified forest and spend a night up in Santa Fe. The route 66 guide showed some interesting ghost towns on the Eastern half, like Cuervo. Maybe another time.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    I'm doing a road trip soon. Hoping to ride a portion of Route 66 as well.

We're flying into Vegas and doing the drive to LA, then to Phoenix and then heading north to spend some time before going back to Vegas.

Some of the stuff I have on the list to do up there is.

Staying at The View Hotel in Monument Valley. Really looking forward to sunrises, sunsets and the stars while staying there.

Antelope Canyon - One of the few things I really wanted to check out when I lived in AZ, but never got the chance.

Havasu Falls - REALLY hoping to do this. But not sure we can fit in the hike it would require. It's supposedly something like 18 miles (round-trip) and I'm hoping we can fit it in. But damn it seems amazing. Has any strutter done it?

And of course Grand Canyon - My girl has never done it, so I promised to take her.

Anything else?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Albuquerque: take one of those cheesy Breaking Bad location tours. You will trip out. Eat at the Frontier restaurant - it's right on 66 (aka Central Ave). Maybe check out Old Town.

From there, it's a 3 hour drive west to Gallup. I'd recommend taking a short detour and checking out El Malpais national park just before Grants (from the 40, drive south on 177 and check out the lava flows). There's a park visitor center about ten miles down the road. Very cool landscape in this area - great for photos.

The valley about 20 miles before you hit Gallup is incredibly beautiful. Take a random exit and drive toward the red cliffs. Sorry, I can't recommend a good hike, but you will find something.

You can also detour up to Chaco Canyon which is highly recommended.

Gallup: hit up Richardson's Trading Co for a walk back in time and a $30,000 navajo carpet from the 1920s. El Rancho Hotel is super fun - the true 66 experience. Nice place with great folks. You will want to stay there.

Winslow: get a nice New Mexican meal at La Posada hotel. Believe the hype.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i dont remember where it fall in the state, but whitelily and i chanced upon City of Rocks state park ten years ago and it was amazing...especially under the full moon. some science fiction stuff

have a great trip, hommie

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    the toroweep/tooweep outlook offers one of the best views of the grand canyon and since it's only accessible via a long and narrow dirt road there will be only few if any tourists. when we went we had the entire area for ourselves. it offers a uninterrupted 600 foot drop so you can walk up to the edge and look down onto the colorado river, no guardrail of course so it's truly a breathtaking experience. AAA free towing does not cover the dirt road so make sure you have a full spare tire. there's also no cell reception for the most part. it's a rough road. we had a flat and then within minutes, even though going very slow, totally destroyed the "donut" tire down to the rim and almost didn't make it out.

my absolute favorite is the southern az desert. we spent 10 days horseback riding just outside of tombstone, one of the best times i ever had. made an unforgettable day trip up the dragoon mountains (hiked up the canyons on horseback). so many totally forgotten and amazing corners down there. the town of bisbee on the mexican border is also worth a visit. my favorite drive was from ajo to organ pipe nat. park and then to nogales taking all tiny back and dirt roads always staying as close to the border as possible.

sorry for the weird typing, i almost severed my left pinky this morning while cutting up bones for the dogs and can only use one hand...

Santa Fe is a really great city. It's all about art and food in that town. Not much else.

RAJ, being a fellow into photography, you really shouldn't miss the Andrew Smith gallery: http://www.andrewsmithgallery.com/

Also, eat at this place: The Shed - http://www.sfshed.com/home.html

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    One of the best things I have ever eaten in my life is the Green Chile Stew at this place in Albuquerque..

http://www.loscuatesrestaurants.com/loscuates/Los_Cuates.html

MusicaDelAlma said:
    Albuquerque: take one of those cheesy Breaking Bad location tours. You will trip out. Eat at the Frontier restaurant - it's right on 66 (aka Central Ave). Maybe check out Old Town.

On the list

I think being such a big fan of the show heavily influenced taking this leg of Route 66.

Of course, I will be getting my photography on. So psyched.

:lalala:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I have not been in NM for a long time, but eat as many New Mexican meals as you can. In the past I have found most any town, big or small, has cafes that serve the real deal. As soon as you cross in to AZ there is a place in Winslow I have been told.

Red or green?

LaserWolf said:

Red or green?

^^^^^^^^^^^ This question is inherently flawed.

LaserWolf said:
    As soon as you cross in to AZ it is over.

MusicaDelAlma said:

MusicaDelAlma said:

Hey. Take it Easy!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    MusicaDelAlma said:
    LaserWolf said:

Red or green?

^^^^^^^^^^^ This question is inherently flawed.

LaserWolf said:
    As soon as you cross in to AZ there is a place in Winslow I am told.

MusicaDelAlma said:

Edited to acknowledge new information.