February Finds

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited February 2014 in Strut Central
Let's get this started.
One of the best NW record shows is once a year in Eugene.
For 24 years Bill Finnerman ran the show. Sadly he died a few months ago. A great guy who had only friends.

Thom Jones took over the show, but massive snow and ice storms scared some people off.
People who value records more than their own life, like me, made it down (or up or over) there.

Couple of sealed reggae 12s in the upper left, and mostly country in the middle.

A nice Chicago HS Band and a local blues private press.

Mood Mosaic is nice, with Big Jim Sullivan.

Chaffey College - nice, private yacht rock - I broke the seal, and a private ND Hippie jam band.

Voices in Paradise is Dolores Erickson, one of the few covers I didn't have.

Listening to the Miribus now, lovely.

Comments

• Glad u beat me to it wolf, always need a finds thread...what is the Miribus? That Callier looks minty, mine is rough but sooo good.

Got these records off the streets of Havana at the beginning of the month, all in decent shape which was not expected.

these all come from local digs, Motley was trade

gotta love it when a dude who has a chip on his shoulder about jazz gets his paws on a jazz head's collection. He had the New Jazz Orch for 8$ and couldn't understand why I gave him 30$ for the Seeds LP. If you can't be bothered then wtf.... made my day.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    George Muribus is on Catalyst and is not sought after, so can be had cheap.
    Very nice spacey fusion, I don't know the players. Willie Colon on congas I suspect is not Willie Colon salsa star.

That hitch hikers looks great, never saw that before. Googled, Mighty Pope, nice.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    The version of La Fiesta on Giant Steps is heavy.

(can't embed vid)

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    New Jazz Orchestra for $8?...well done, sir. Shades of The Visitor's "Naima". Gorgeous jazz.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    LW...what did you have to give for the Harley & J.B. McClain LP?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I bought a lot of stuff off the guy who had that.
    He knew what it was, that is, he knew that Harley (or maybe McClain) was one of the first organic farmers in the Dakotas and had run for mayor and all like that. He did not know it was sought after, and neither did I. So for sealed country and reggae 12"s records I paid $2-5, for the private press type stuff I paid $1. I didn't buy his vg- Miles Davis records for $20.00, or his Amy Winehouse 12" for $40. He had me in stitches the whole time I was digging. Every time I pulled a record he would say something like "you don't want that, it's no good" or "that record goes for $100 on ebay" and while it doesn't sound funny now, it was funny the way he did said it, just making stuff up every time I pulled a record.

• Thought I'd post these here instead of starting a new thread, since I did in fact find them in February.

Anyways, I got 6 or 7 late-70s/early-80s Chinese records. They were available for pennies and I went for it because I've heard some Hong Kong funk on mixtapes. These four kinda panned out. Anyone familiar with them off hand? I know the bottom left is Jenny Tseng, but I've got nothing on the other three.

e: Figured I should also do a quick review on these, in case anyone was curious. The Jenny Tseng record and the joint diagonal to it (dude in red) have a couple tracks on them which have that dramatic/cinematic/European-composer/Alchemist's-favourite-sample kinda vibe to them -- the red-jacket-man record is extra hot. The one that looks like a kung-fu soundtrack begins with a solid uptempo funk track, and then ends with an instrumental version of it (actually, all these records end with one or two instrumentals, which is rad). The one on the bottom right had er I think it had SOMETHING on it when I listened, but I guess it wasn't that nice because I can't remember shit about it.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    some things I picked up over the past few months

the Z├® Ramalhos are upgrades for slightly beat up copies I had.
    Took me a while to find a nice copy of the Antonio Carlos & Jocafi for a decent price, usually I either find an overpriced minty copy or a cheap but beat up copy.

The Robert & Erasmo Carlos covers LP has a neat version of Todos Estão Surdos by Chico Science, but I remember the rest of the songs being not so good.
    Took a chance on Los Tropicanos, it's one of those brazilian studio bands that did cheesy latin versions of pop songs, sometimes there's one good track on them. Not this one.
    Refazenda is another upgrade for me.
    Sonora Dinamita is so-so, not exactly vintage Fuentes, but I like the tracks with La India Meliyara singing.

these three are nice brazilian fusion. Quarteto Negro is Paulo Moura, Zez├® Motta, Djalma Corr├¬a and Jorge Degas, with things like this song.

The Azymuth 7" is quite beat up, but I couldn't pass it up for $2. The other is The Jet Blacks, a jovem guarda band with a garage-y version of Susie Q.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    ppadilha said:

The Azymuth 7" is quite beat up, but I couldn't pass it up for $2. The other is The Jet Blacks, a jovem guarda band with a garage-y version of Susie Q.

Sick score on that azimuth, despite it being beaten up.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Super Hits is a comp of the raddest Salvadorean psych funk and beat tracks. Super happy to mint up on Easterly Winds.

Delighted to finally own the Rabbits & Carrots and Xingu LPs. Thanks Lambert!

Upper left is a test pressing of Los Mozambiques' first LP on Taboga. The B side is signed by Jaime Morrell.
    The Marcado LP is one of the ten best records I've ever heard. Insane one!

• You guys have been killin it. That Carlos Garnett is simple amazing Crab, nice score. What's the Mike Naura like? Azimuth for 2$??? I paid more... Just one of the perks of living in the home country I guess. Nice on the Xingu, and Rabbits and Carrots, Del Alma, saw those in Lambert's set recently...

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    Penny Goodwin-Portrait of a Gemini.

Nice record. Inside the sleeve was a press kit for Penny made, I'm guessing, by the head of the label. The cover page has Penny's bio, along with the band's, and a list of all the venues she and the band played around Milwaukee. The subsequent pages are xeroxed (though nicely laid out) pages of newspaper and magazine write ups about Penny. There are also a few articles about the label in the press clippings, too. Very homemade, do-it-yourself vibe. It's great.

Don't know why the Youtube video won 't show up, but it's a video of a cut from the album.

I need to practice my pic posting skills.
    Attached files

• LoopDreams said:
    Mike Naura like?

he plays fender rhodes throughout but takes very little solo space, the lead voice is actually the vibraphone. one of the toppest mps titles.

congrats on the frank motley. would you ever consider trading that? what kind of heat would a guy have to lay on the table? PM me

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Few pickups:

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    Few pickups:

Was just listening to that Gabor Szabo. Love it.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    Anyone know anything about Penny Goodwin? Seems to be a private press. Any info. is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts

Was just listening to that Gabor Szabo. Love it.

For sure. I don't know why, but that was always one I kinda passed by...glad I finally picked it up.

That Abercrombie is a sleeper, too.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    tokyobeats said:

Wow. Thanks, man. Not sure why I didn't think to popsike it.

Don't sleep on the "used vinyl" section at your local Hastings.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    JATX said:
    Anyone know anything about Penny Goodwin? Seems to be a private press. Any info. is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Nice find on the PGoodwin! Looks super handmade doesn't it? I bought a copy a few yrs back from Ray Tabbs, the guy who plays keys on the album and was the bandleader. ( I don't have it anymore, it moved on...) He said that they literally pasted the covers together at the kitchen table and sold them only at shows. They held down a gig at a spot playing something like 4 days a week for 3 yrs as a band, as a result they were tight. He said that Penny is now a schoolteacher and doesn't do the music thing much anymore. That's all I can remember, Ray was a nice dude.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    Nice find on the PGoodwin! Looks super handmade doesn't it? I bought a copy a few yrs back from Ray Tabbs, the guy who plays keys on the album and was the bandleader. ( I don't have it anymore, it moved on...) He said that they literally pasted the covers together at the kitchen table and sold them only at shows. They held down a gig at a spot playing something like 4 days a week for 3 yrs as a band, as a result they were tight. He said that Penny is now a schoolteacher and doesn't do the music thing much anymore. That's all I can remember, Ray was a nice dude.
    Thanks, man. I think Ray was the one who made the press kit that was inside the sleeve.

Yeah, the handmade cover was what caught my attention. Interesting to think of how a Milwaukee record found its way to a Hastings in Abilene, Texas.

Thanks for the reply.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    daaaam musicaDelalma, thats quite a set of new arrivals!
    howd you come across rabbits and xingu?