Good Local Music You've Heard

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited February 2014 in Strut Central
Hey,

While on our US Pacific Northwest trip last year, the missus and I went to a local Portland bar (Jimmy Mak's) where Go By Train was playing. They have a pretty unique sound that kind of mixes jazz with progressive rock elements. I have two of their CDs "Transmission" and "Transportation" that are really good. Here are links to some of their stuff:

Then, a few summers ago, we went to the Sugar Loaf (NY) Arts and Crafts Festival and saw Cynthia Summers. She is folk singer with an amazing voice and really moody, sensitive music. She has a CD that is some years old named "Love at Every Turn." Unfortunately, I couldn't find any clips from it online.

Finally, my wife and I was at one of our local spots and Gordon James, a local flugelhorn/trumpet player, was playing with a combo. Now, I'm not much of a 'smooth jazz' head, but I found his S/T CD to be pretty good (in a background music sort of way). Here are some samples:

So, who are some local artists with some good music that you wish to share?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Glad you got to Jimmy Macks, and heard some great Portland jazz. It's hard for people to believe, but Portland is a major jazz town. These days there are not many good venues besides Jimmy Macks. I remember when there were numerous jazz clubs, and jazz groups popular enough to get booked into rock clubs.

I would like to mention Thara Memory. He has been mentoring young musicians, teaching the meaning of jazz,for decades.

In this youtube he is playing in a large combo led by drummer Mel Brown. Mel's list of accomplishments is long, including being a Motown road/studio drummer for Martha Reeves and other Motown acts in the 60s. Also drummed on Harrison's My Sweet Lord.

Members of Pleasure have long been part of Portland's jazz scene.

I never get out any more, so my current knowledge is limited, but I heard so many great local artists in DC in the early 70s, and in Portland in the late 70s early 80s.