Looking for a DJ for *MY* wedding! 8/30/14, upstate NY... please hear me out...

karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
edited January 2014 in Strut Central
So, me and my fiance are trying to plan our wedding, which happens Aug 30, and when it comes to the subject of a DJ, its tough. The wedding is at a really nice beach house about half an hour from Buffalo NY, and every DJ we dig up is either super traditional/wack or leans toward EDM and isnt really a wedding DJ per se.

We are looking for someone who can get it turnt. We have some pretty specific needs and dislikes, to the point where a "normal" wedding DJ just isnt gonna get it. We need stuff like the Rhianna Cake song, Drake's "Hold On Were Going Home" , some of the good shit you might hear on Power 97 in NYC, but also stuff like 'Strangelove' by depeche mode (but NOT 'personal Jesus" nahmeen?), Bell Biv Devoe's "Poison", Jackson Five "Its Great To Be Here", Eddie Bo's "From This Day On", Deeper "good" disco and great 60s and 70s Rnb, Funk, etc. And also some mellow stuff like Rodriguez "Silver Words" or Barbara Masons "Im Ready:" (example ideas for for a first dance song). You know, a blend of the old dust and the hot new stuff, that avoids most of the tired overplayed crap. Of course, you gotta have the GOOD overplayed stuff like MJ "dont stop till you get enough"....

I figured, theirs a lot of talented people on here who are certainly capable, but not many who are near that area, and not many who would "lower" themselves for a wedding gig.... But for a fellow strutter? Who can pay a fair price? Well, i figured, its 8 months away, so you never know, right?

Is anyone willing + within a few hours drive of Buffalo? (Isnt Miss Bassie from Toronto?)

I know this is a big long shot, but if you could potentially do it and are willing, or just have any suggestions or ideas, please respond and/or PM me and/or email me (karlophone (at) karlophone (dot) com...

Thanks!!!!

Comments

• https://www.facebook.com/sirynot

will travel for bridesmaids and cheeseburgers.

• I will add, DJs, if you're considering traveling, that there is good digging in central and western NY. Lots of rust belt towns.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    I'll give an obligatory plug to my friend Paul at http://blackrocksound.com/index.html.

He's based in Buffalo, does stuff all over the area. Really good guy, worth checking to see if he's a good fit for you.

• Herm said:

of course i would expect no less, but thats a beautiful website!

• Herm said:

Rocked my wedding!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    No suggestions, just wana say congrats on the wedding Karl.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Thanks for the ideas and congrats so far!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    karlophone said:

I figured, theirs a lot of talented people on here who are certainly capable, but not many who are near that area, and not many who would "lower" themselves for a wedding gig.... But for a fellow strutter? Who can pay a fair price? Well, i figured, its 8 months away, so you never know, right?

Is anyone willing + within a few hours drive of Buffalo? (Isnt Miss Bassie from Toronto?)

Congratulations!

Thank You for even thinking of me, I am indeed in Toronto but I am not equipped to play weddings. Not because it's beneath me or anything like that, I just don't have the necessary staples in my collection.

• meistromoco said:
    Herm said:

Rocked my wedding!

Rocked mine too!

People still talk about it being one of the best dance parties they have attended.

So glad we went with a pro DJ.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    bassie said:

Thank You for even thinking of me, I am indeed in Toronto but I am not equipped to play weddings. Not because it's beneath me or anything like that, I just don't have the necessary staples in my collection.

If I was into line dancing, I'd go to Broken Spoke.

I am missing how our posts are related?

bassie said:

Wedding reception staples often come with line dancing attached.

The worst of the worst.

(Broken Spoke is a kicker bar here in Austin that offers line dancing classes.)

HarveyCanal said:
    bassie said:

See, I had no idea. Another thing that makes me unqualified for DJing a wedding: I've been to less than five of them in my life and they've all been Iranian (no line dancing).

bassie said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    bassie said:

See, I had no idea. Another thing that makes me unqualified for DJing a wedding: I've been to less than five of them in my life and they've all been Iranian (no line dancing).

The latest I-don't-recall-this-being-a-3rd-grade-PE-class travesty...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    bassie said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    bassie said:

U got any Frank Sinatra?

No.

Anyway, this is about who can DJ the wedding, not who can't!

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    hahaha..

Miss Bassie, the next time im not having a wedding near Toronto, ill definitely contact you first!

that hokey pokey line dance thing looks troubling.

Folks, Doc Delay + Abby are going to rock this one, and i am so excited. Everyone, thanks for all the suggestions, ideas, and offers. I know that anyone on or endorsed by this board would do a good job. I can think of no other community like this one.
    :freeway: :real_headz: :necessary:

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    Came here to pitch Delay + AKAllDay but it looks like this is an open and shut case.

Good day, sir.

I SAID GOOD DAY!