Terry Lee Loewen

staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
ok, help me out here. you guys know im no politics troll i never post in those threads but this caught my attention.

A 58 year old -single?- white airport employee self radicalizes online goaded on and aided by undercovers agents, hatches a plot where the fbi guides him every step of the way - even going so far as to supply him with fake explosives, then they arrest him before he can do nothing. Where the hell is the victory or enforcement in that?

Are they just setting up a shill to bust to give people a false sense of security or to legitimize nsa secret security activity? the guy looks batshit crazy btw. the feds should have left him to play world of warcraft.

How do you guys - especially americans - read this? seems insanely misguided to me. entrapment is illegal in many western european countries btw

Comments

• The stories out there right now are a bit vague, but the FBI claims he started planning this attack before they engaged with him - why do you think this is entrapment?

"Loewen, who lives in Wichita, had been under investigation for about six months after making online statements about wanting to commit "violent jihad" against the United States"

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/man-arrested-car-bomb-plot-kan-airport-21210130

So, a guy goes online and publicly declares his intention to wage violent jihad against the US and subsequently mentions that he has security clearance at an airport and you think the FBI should have ignored him?

It's a little early on in this story to be making definitive statements yet, but I don't see where you're coming from.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    This type of entrapment is standard in these types of terrorism cases.
    No jury, or judge, has yet to find it illegal.

The Portland case you may remember from a few years back is now on hold.
    Turns out the judge does not like that the Feds investigation was based on (likely) illegal, secret, NSA spying.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/11/26/247412767/judge-suspends-sentencing-would-be-bomber-after-nsa-revelations

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Horseleech said:

"Loewen, who lives in Wichita, had been under investigation for about six months after making online statements about wanting to commit "violent jihad" against the United States"

So, a guy goes online and publicly declares his intention to wage violent jihad against the US and subsequently mentions that he has security clearance at an airport and you think the FBI should have ignored him?

It's a little early on in this story to be making definitive statements yet, but I don't see where you're coming from.

Couldnt they just have arrested him and had him fired the second he made those initial comments?
    Problem solved and a whole lot of taxpayers money saved - but - granted - not a lot of publicity made.

Anyone stupid enough to announce their terror plans online before commiting them doesnt seem likely to be able to succeed.

In this case seems to me the feds orchestrated and almost entirely facilitated a fake attack by goading some patsy - then bust and foil this attack of their own manufacturing and announce to the world they've struck a blow against terror. Even a casual reading of this case should raise eyebrows.

I have to wonder if US citizens feel they are safer because of this type of operation. Im assuming you do, horseleech?

But even fox news has issues with this MO-

And i've seen other articles in the mainstream press critizing the fbi and describing this - and similar - cases as entrapment, or at least raising the issue.

ABCNEWS: The case resembles a string of investigations conducted by the FBI since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks that have prompted controversy over whether law enforcement's tactics involve entrapment and violate civil liberties.

THE GUARDIAN: Fake terror plots, paid informants: the tactics of FBI 'entrapment' questioned. Critics say bureau is running a sting operation across America, targeting vulnerable people by luring them into fake terror plots

It just makes me wonder if most American citizens look at a case like this - and feel as if justice and national security are being served effectively, or if they are just left scratching their heads thinking - what the hell is the fbi doing?

• plain dumb shit, straight up.

• plain dumb shit, straight up.

• Idiots who stick their thumbs in the eyes of national security agencies will get attention.

I doubt this guy was much of a threat, but obviously such morons need to be herded one way or another.

It's cute that a guy with a redneck name thinks he's waging jihad. Maybe it should be yee-jad! just this once.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    staxwax said:
    Horseleech said:

Couldnt they just have arrested him and had him fired the second he made those initial comments?
    Problem solved and a whole lot of taxpayers money saved - but - granted - not a lot of publicity made.

Anyone stupid enough to announce their terror plans online before commiting them doesnt seem likely to be able to succeed.

In this case seems to me the feds orchestrated and almost entirely facilitated a fake attack by goading some patsy - then bust and foil this attack of their own manufacturing and announce to the world they've struck a blow against terror. Even a casual reading of this case should raise eyebrows.

I have to wonder if US citizens feel they are safer because of this type of operation. Im assuming you do, horseleech?

But even fox news has issues with this MO-

And i've seen other articles in the mainstream press critizing the fbi and describing this - and similar - cases as entrapment, or at least raising the issue.

ABCNEWS: The case resembles a string of investigations conducted by the FBI since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks that have prompted controversy over whether law enforcement's tactics involve entrapment and violate civil liberties.

THE GUARDIAN: Fake terror plots, paid informants: the tactics of FBI 'entrapment' questioned. Critics say bureau is running a sting operation across America, targeting vulnerable people by luring them into fake terror plots

It just makes me wonder if most American citizens look at a case like this - and feel as if justice and national security are being served effectively, or if they are just left scratching their heads thinking - what the hell is the fbi doing?

Most American's don't give a shit.
    You have read the political threads here enough to know American's don't care about loss of civil liberties, government spying, arrest and torture and exiling of whistle blowers.
    They certainly don't care if the FBI uses NSA surveillance of citizens to find people gullible enough to be entrapped into a terrorist plot.

I have never heard of a case where some mixed up American has found and joined a terrorist group through social media.
    Much less have terrorist contact them and guide them through an attack on US soil.
    But the FBI successfully uses social media as an entrapment tool all the time.

Few Americans care.

• LaserWolf said:

But the FBI successfully uses social media as an entrapment tool all the time.

Few Americans care.

Even fewer have a clue about what "entrapment" means.

Fuck Terry Lee Loewen and the dumbass he rode in on.