Isn't peacefully the only way you can rest?

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
All those RIP threads got me thinking. Is there any other way to rest other than in peace? what are the alternatives? Rest in agony? Rest in duress? Rest in hectic madness? Rest in extreme discomfort? In none of those cases could you truly be said to be resting.

I suggest that since the 'in peace' is implied by the mere fact that you are resting, the acronym should be shortened to simply "R".

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I don't know the origin but I always took it as an extension of the idea of heaven; being able to rest at peace - RAP! - instead of a tortured after-life. Also, as an acknowledgment of a life of hard and good works...now you get to be at rest and at peace (RAP!)

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    You think all those voices on ghost hunters are in peace? If there is any truth to An afterlife there are Probably a lot of ways to rest from peacefully to horrifically tortured for all eternity.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    bassie said:
    I don't know the origin but I always took it as an extension of the idea of heaven; being able to rest at peace - RAP! - instead of a tortured after-life. Also, as an acknowledgment of a life of hard and good works...now you get to be at rest and at peace (RAP!)

True, and that's why it sometime sounds inappropriate to me as an epitath for young lives cut tragically short. For Mandela or Tracey aged 95 and 86 it works but for Paul Walker , Aliyah, Yauch, Hendrix???.? That said, for young yet tortured souls like Whitney Houston or Cobain the "rest" sounds compassionate as if their struggle is (finally) over.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I've had lucid dreams while taking an afternoon nap, sometimes making me wake up in a puddle of sweat and a state of confusion. Hardly peaceful resting.

hello this is gary!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    I've had lucid dreams while taking an afternoon nap, sometimes making me wake up in a puddle of sweat and a state of confusion. Hardly peaceful resting.

hello this is gary!

holy shit I didn't know I had that kind of power. I mean i edited your post just there.

but what i meant to say was, given what you said above, can you truly say that you rested? More like you tried to rest but were unsuccessful.

or something.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    Not so much when you get choke slammed and given the tombstone piledriver for the 1-2-3.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Well when I go tits up I want the last thing I say to be "I see the white light! I'm going towards it! Wtf... Hitler???"

And then it's lights out.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    tabira said:
    bassie said:

True, and that's why it sometime sounds inappropriate to me as an epitath for young lives cut tragically short. For Mandela or Tracey aged 95 and 86 it works but for Paul Walker , Aliyah, Yauch, Hendrix???.? That said, for young yet tortured souls like Whitney Houston or Cobain the "rest" sounds compassionate as if their struggle is (finally) over.

Totally agree with you on this, Tab, but for some reason, it irritates me to the core when people write "rest in power" to acknowledge someone's passing.

How the fuck does one "rest in power"? I'm open to explanations on this. I know I'm a fucking kook for saying this, but "rest in power" sounds like something you say to a bag of shit who is about to get fried on an electric chair for some heinous shit he/she committed.

No hijack, but equally irritating is "happy born day". It just comes across as trying to make "happy birthday" sound cooler. But to me, it sounds slightly forced, and mostly awkward.

Please tell me I'm not the only one on this.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    I have people in my family who say things like "I hope their sins were forgiven." Really creepy. It would be hilarious if "get well soon" cards were distributed during my funeral providing that the custom will not be verboten in some Mad Max-like future.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    parallax said:
    tabira said:
    bassie said:

Totally agree with you on this, Tab, but for some reason, it irritates me to the core when people write "rest in power" to acknowledge someone's passing.

How the fuck does one "rest in power"? I'm open to explanations on this. I know I'm a fucking kook for saying this, but "rest in power" sounds like something you say to a bag of shit who is about to get fried on an electric chair for some heinous shit he/she committed.

No hijack, but equally irritating is "happy born day". It just comes across as trying to make "happy birthday" sound cooler. But to me, it sounds slightly forced, and mostly awkward.

Never head of any of these expressions but yeah they do sound pretty bastardised

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Electrode said:
    I have people in my family who say things like "I hope their sins were forgiven." Really creepy. It would be hilarious if "get well soon" cards were distributed during my funeral providing that the custom will not be verboten in some Mad Max-like future.

reminds me, I've aways found it a bit creepy when people say "I love this song so much I want it played at my funeral" - often in reaction to some emotional, stirring or deep piece of music . I mean, to me music played at a funeral should be chosen by the those left behind to remember you by. It just seems slightly missing the point to make a DJ request when you're already gone. All the stuff I really love is either too moving/dramatic or too esoteric and inaccessible - it would come off as mawkish and overblown or simply up my ass and wouldn't help my daughters. Best just spin Rain drops Keep Fallin' or something else a little philosophical/upbeat.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,901 Posts
    I am having Chaka's "Through The Fire" played when I get cremated.

I want to look down on them (like, as a sprit/white sheet or whatever in the crematorium) and see them laughing and crying.

I think not too many will be crying.

Sailor V.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    parallax said:
    tabira said:
    bassie said:

This year I heard Have a Good Turkey Day too many times.
    Yes every one says Happy Birthday, but saying Happy Born Day does not make you original or more true to the meaning.

Same is true with RIP. Everyone says it. It has little literal meaning. But everyone understands that it means you are sorry the person died and are giving your respects. And that is what is important. So I will continue to use RIP because the understood meaning is what I am trying to say.

Peace Out

[
    reminds me, I've aways found it a bit creepy when people say I love this song so much I want it played at my funeral - often in reaction to some emotional, stirring or deep piece of music . I mean, to me music played at a funeral should be chosen by the those left behind to remember you by. It just seems slightly missing the point to make a DJ request when you're already gone. All the stuff I really love is either too moving/dramatic or too esoteric and inaccessible - it would come off as mawkish and overblown or simply up my ass and wouldn't help my daughters. Best just spin Rain drops Keep Fallin' or something else a little philosophical/upbeat.

Yes.
    Your funeral is not about you. It is about the people who are mourning. Let them decide how they want to mourn.

LaserWolf said:

Yes.
    Your funeral is not about you. It is about the people who are mourning. Let them decide how they want to mourn.

I was thinking of the flip side of this. My father left a few simple lines about he wanted to be buried.
    This was very helpful.
    4 very different people had to organize, plan, the funeral. Because we had this outline it was easier.