Soul Strut 100 - The Singles

asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
edited October 2013 in Strut Central
I can't be alone in thinking this would be a really interesting list to compile as we come down to the end of the original Strut 100. Especially in the genres of music that we all love around here, the single is king and lots of tracks/artists could never get their proper shine in a list of albums. It would also be a way to get some love for reggae, latin, house, jungle and other genres that didn't get recognized properly in the LP list. And I think all of us might take our lists of tracks a wee bit more seriously now that we've seen how interesting the results can be. I mean, I'll always ride for Big Bear and Endless Flight, but they're taking up space that might have been better filled by other records.

Thoughts?

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I agree. Hopefully it won't take me 2 years to compile!

• 100 soulstrut 45's sounds killer.

i would like to see another strut 100 on the album front, too many essential, landmark albums will not make the current list. also, i think many that did make the list did so on the strength of one track like the lyn collins joint.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    asstro said:
    I can't be alone in thinking this would be a really interesting list to compile as we come down to the end of the original Strut 100. Especially in the genres of music that we all love around here, the single is king and lots of tracks/artists could never get their proper shine in a list of albums. It would also be a way to get some love for reggae, latin, house, jungle and other genres that didn't get recognized properly in the LP list. And I think all of us might take our lists of tracks a wee bit more seriously now that we've seen how interesting the results can be. I mean, I'll always ride for Big Bear and Endless Flight, but they're taking up space that might have been better filled by other records.

Thoughts?

I think we've discussed the significance of "Endless Flight" and Big Bear as 'Strut staples. I like them, and think of them as a bit of comic relief from the "real" canon. Something about Leo Sayer being among Skull Snaps and Black Moon makes me chuckle.

As for house, jungle missing from the list---it may be that the 'Strut was more hip hop oriented in its genesis, so I'm not as surprised the genres you mentioned didn't make it.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    JATX said:

I think we've discussed the significance of "Endless Flight" and Big Bear as 'Strut staples. I like them, and think of them as a bit of comic relief from the "real" canon. Something about Leo Sayer being among Skull Snaps and Black Moon makes me chuckle.

As for house, jungle missing from the list---it may be that the 'Strut was more hip hop oriented in its genesis, so I'm not as surprised the genres you mentioned didn't make it.

I agree about the "comic relief", records like those are part of the lore around here, I know I definitely voted for Big Bear on my Strut 100 ballot. But I think we'd all likely take the voting a little more seriously now that we know how interesting the list will be in the end.

Soul Strut might have started as a place where we were sample spotting and talking about Shadow breaks, but most of us have evolved past that, or gone back to other styles of music we enjoyed just as much as beats and breaks. I would never expect disco or house or jungle on a list of LP's anyway, those styles are all about singles, but I can't be the only one who would put something from one or more of those genres in a top 10 singles list.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    i think many that did make the list did so on the strength of one track like the lyn collins joint.

yup

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I think singles 100 is a great idea, but

RAJ said:
    I agree. Hopefully it won't take me 2 years to compile!

I bet that you'd just get 600 votes for 600 different tracks! Singles takes it to a whole new level imo.
    Maybe shortlist stuff? I have no idea how this would work. Maybe to increase the chances of nomination over-lap (and some kind of consensus) we'd have to place 10 votes. Just naming favourite 3 singles sounds impossible anyway.

But I like the idea, and as Astro says, genres like disco, house etc are more or less invisible on the album front.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    1. DJ DMD - 25 Lighters

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

I think nominations should be sent out by PM and maybe the receive-an-email setting might be switched off accidentally...

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    1. DJ DMD - 25 Lighters

(Hope you're well, Harvey!)