Updates from a Federal Employee

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited October 2013 in Strut Central
Many of you may not know this, but I am a federal employee. My project has already been funded so I am not part of the 'shutdown'. The others in my office are funded differently, so they are all gone, except for 2 others that were kept behind as "essential personnel".

This is my diary.

Tuesday, 01 October.

0700 - B***n shows up in shorts. Says "What are they gonna do? Send me home?" D***n is dressed like a cowboy. He is on his way to a cowboy convention in Nevada later. It's actually not a bad look on him.

0800 - Furloughed employees sign paperwork and get sent home.

0900 - M******m still here. He is having a hard time getting his 'out of office' reply to work in Outlook.

1000 - Lots of friends on facebook are PISSED about this government shutdown. None of them actually work for the government. My coworkers don't seem that upset. Well, the ones that are still here anyways.

1100 - Bill asks if I know where the vacuum cleaner is kept. I say no.

1400 - An email goes out about celebrating diversity in the work place. I pause what I am doing and celebrate.

1500 - Check foxnews.com just for fun. They are calling this a 'slimdown' instead of a shutdown.

1600 - Still thinking about the slimdown, I head to the gym for a workout. J***s has been furloughed and she always sets the coffee for the next morning. Who will make the coffee?

Tuesday, 02 October

0630 - Some punk kid has broke into all the cars on my block. Well, the ones that didn't lock their doors. My wife borrowed my car last night to get groceries and forgot to lock it when she got back. They stole 2 pairs of sunglasses and my Natural History Museum passes. Maybe they weren't young punks. Maybe they were government employees... is this the apocolypse?

0645 - I call the police to report the break in. They tell me I can report it on line. I'll think about it.

0700 - Traffic normal.

0720 - I get to work late because of the break-in. Nobody cares. Somebody has stepped up to the plate and made coffee. Not that it matters. They make Yuban or some nasty shit like that. I bring my own in a thermos every day. Nonetheless, it appears that people are stepping up to the plate and taking on new responsibilities. I feel proud.

0730 - Only one new email in my inbox. It is a meeting invite. I acceptp.

0731 - Check soulstrut.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The NFR Cowboy Xmas Gift Show is not until December.
    The Cowboy Poetry convention is not until January.

I say his Cowboy Convention is made up.

So are you being more productive at work because there are fewer distractions?
    Or less, because of lack of support staff/supervisor staff/OtherHalfOfJobStaff?

• My wife was approved for a mortgage and closed on our new place on Monday. She is a gov employee but luckily her dept has been funded through 2014. I can just imagine the bureaucratic nightmare with the bank if the shutdown had happened first.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    The NFR Cowboy Xmas Gift Show is not until December.
    The Cowboy Poetry convention is not until January.

I say his Cowboy Convention is made up.

It is a 'quick draw' competition. Completely real. He loves it.

I'm just as productive now as I was before. It is quiet in the office. But I tend to work on my own stuff anyways. Finished up a powerpoint presentation yesterday. The animations I got in there are killer.

Did a little bit of software testing. It was a normal day. Just quieter.

Oh! the Cowboy Fast Draw Competition, that starts on the 3rd.

• I'm a federal employee also. I work in a Passport office. We are considered essential personnel (for now). Hopefully they end this soon. It's shameful what they 're doing.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Gary said:

0700 - B***n
    D***n

0900 - M******m

1600 - J***s

Brian
    Damon
    Moatasim, sometimes known as Monty
    Jules

What do I win?

Some federal employees are putting the time off to good use.

Thanks DJ Voidoid for the photo.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    skel said:
    Gary said:

0700 - B***n
    D***n

0900 - M******m

1600 - J***s

Brian
    Damon
    Moatasim, sometimes known as Monty
    Jules

What do I win?

A job with the federal government! You can sit next to Moatasim!

10:36 - Janitorial services have been stopped. This means that the pube on the urinal will stay on the urinal until the end of furlough...?

• Gary for the win

• Best thread ever for the reveal that Wolfie is heavily into Cowboy Culture.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Gary said:

10:36 - Janitorial services have been stopped. This means that the pube on the urinal will stay on the urinal until the end of furlough...?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    15:31 - Eating the Yoplait Harvest Peach Light yogurt that M*****m left behind in the fridge. Look... we don't know how long this furlough could last. Besides, one of that last things he told me before he left was "You can have my yogurt if you want."

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    I guess it will last until somebody blinks.

Well, I forget - are the Huddled Masses on one side?

And will the self-paralysed Federal??s just say it was, like, a fly or somesuch, until they win?

Will they challenge the Huddled Masses to a quickdraw?

What side is McGraw on?

Break it down for a mug.

:ricochet sound:

DUELLING BANJOS - LOSER PAYS FOR HEALTHCARE???

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    so basically what you're saying is business as usual?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    anyone else affected by this brief shutdown?

Yes.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    speak on it son

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Gary said:

Janitor's back with back pay! He just got paideded for not cleaning pubes for a few weeks too. Good work if you can get it.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Gary said:

Janitor's back with back pay! He just got paideded for not cleaning pubes for a few weeks too. Good work if you can get it.

I saw two of them in the hallway today. I almost hugged them, but then I though oh hell naw, they covered in pubes.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Gary said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Gary said:

I saw two of them in the hallway today. I almost hugged them, but then I though oh hell naw, they covered in pubes.

and since you've been the only one coming in to work, we all know whose pubes those are...