Record/DJ store in Calgary

maxveritechmaxveritech 87 Posts
edited September 2013 in Strut Central
In Alberta of a couple of days and hoping to flip through some wax as well as pick up a flight case for record purchases in LA. Anyone here got some leads? Thanks so much!

Comments

• JibsJibs 12 Posts
    I just recently moved to Calgary so I'm not up on all the spots yet, but here is what I know:

Recordland, located in Inglewood, about a 15 min walk from downtown probably has the most stock and also the best chance of finding something slept on. It's a decent sized store, with moderate organization, but the isles are tight and the selection is all packed on shelves making it tough to look through at times. If you're looking for rap/hiphop be prepared for the one of the most frustrating shopping experiences ever, the section is located in a narrow isle right in the middle of the store that everyone has to walk through, seemingly every 2 minutes. If you only had time to hit 1 store this is probably your best bet, but be prepared for packed shelves, and hella crust. Don't sleep on the 45 room located in a dank corner at the back of the store, it's unorganized and there is 40% chance it will all come collapsing down on you if you pull the wrong record. You won't find any flight cases here.

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/recordland-calgary

Inner-Sleeve, I think this is located in an area of town known as Marda-Loop. I've been to this store a few times, never bought anything. The prices are decent/high, the store is well lit and well cared for. They have lots of re-issues and there is still some lingering stock from a local dj's collection and some of the CBC Radio record collection they bought. They might have flight cases.

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/the-inner-sleeve-calgary

I hope this info is helpful, maybe there is another lurking local who can fill in some of the other local spots.

• Hey max,

When are you planning on rolling through? There is a record collectors fair on September 29, which can sometimes net some great finds.

Besides the places Jibs mentioned (which are your best bets), there is also Heritage Posters and Music near the 17th ave shopping area, and Hot Wax in the Kensington area (don't bother going there if you're not already in the neighborhood). For newer stuff and DJ gear (i.e. cases), try Sloth Records.

Jibs...welcome to Calgary! where are you located? Shoot me a PM if you wanna link up with some other like-minded folk, hook up some trades, etc..