The Poets of Rhythm blew my top last night!

OlskiOlski 355 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
It was the first time I ever saw them and they killed it. Line-up: Max & Jan Whitefield and Bo Baral plus Malcouns keyboader Thomas and two guys from the Soul Destroyers on guitar and perc/flute.It was more jazz fusion than "deep funk" but tight and energetic as hell. ("It would be mad boring to play the same ol funk we did 15 years ago" said Jan afterwads).They opened with a Weldon Irvine tune and even did a Theolonius Monk track. Max played more like a jazz drummer and Bo used an electric stand-up bass. Their take on "Cold Sweat" was more Mongo than JBs.They only played a handfull of Poets tracks but two songs from the Malcouns and a killer version of "Blow Your Top" from the Soul Destroyers.A friend of mine from Hamburg saw them two days before and hated it for the same reasons that I loved it!

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Sounds great!!!

Why don't they tell people when they are touring? I have never seen an ad for a Poets Of Rhythm concert! Are live appearenes by the PoR sooooo raer??? I'd love to see them live. I'd travel anywhere just to check them out live!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Discern/Define is so farking tight. They are by far the best "new funk" I've heard. Totally original afro-funkishness (no antibalas). Your description of the show sounds like they have moved to the with their stuff. Somebody tell these dudes to tour the states. I thneed to hear their jams.

• per0per0 153 Posts
    Jealous.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    There's another tour planned for november. If anybody wants to hook-up with the guys for a gig I can get you in touch.

• mad jealous.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    There's another tour planned for november. If anybody wants to hook-up with the guys for a gig I can get you in touch.

Europe or the states?

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Europe I guess...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    mad jealous.

Seriously

I would have loved to have been there.

• does anyone know if they played US yet?

i'm itching for some of that POR stateside.

many props to them for real!