Your own personal...Grail?

CratesGatsbyCratesGatsby 47 Posts
edited August 2013 in Strut Central
Whatup! (ehh, due diligence, I searched back to 2007 for such post)

Hit up a record show this weekend and ended up kicking it for a minute with a couple of breaks/45 heads. Blah, blah, blah, I say "Last show I picked up.., what' s that grail? McKenzie &...*" Homeboy is quick with "McDonald & Giles,...its not. There's no $20 for a "grail.""

Feel like Dude was right. First, that M&G isn't. (*.5, I should nail the name,..esp if I'm gonna use the word, grail. I'm not great with letterz) 2nd..course, one could find any record anywhere, but one "pays" (dues) for a grail...

I guess, I'm asking, what universally qualifies? A shared grail experience between all (no bell Marti gras, soul strut 100)? Times sampled, rareness...

Peace & thanks!

Comments

• huh?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    I feel a bit like when Larry David first met Leon

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    All those things can make something teh grail but I don't think dude was exactly right when he said there are no $20 grails. A personal grail could just be something which has alluded you so far and you'd go nuts over finding; certified, qualified, universally recognised holiest of grails would be something everybody would go nuts for. I'm new here though, I don't know shit.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I actually spent 12 years waiting for a cheap, mint Island press of McDonald & Giles, so for a while it was a grail. I found it, and now I have other grails...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    There are a couple of tracks I heard on Robbie Vincent's R1 show BITD for which I have no names, just 20+ year old memories of the sound.

All flutes and slap bass. Syncopating chanting about "The Gruuff".

Dutch, probably.

I am sure if I meet Robbie he'll have no trouble whatsoever in answering me immediately.

There was also a night music show on BBC World service, which I would listen to while the NFL coverage on US Armed Forces Radio and Television Network (MW 873, folks) drifted out. It had some Claus Ogerman string-chart-overload shit and some library music noodlefests which went down nice, but remain ungoogleable.

I think the Ogerman might be Gate of Dreams. It's one I don't have so I think I will acquire it through elimination. But will I recognise the snippet again?...

J i m s t e r said:
    But will I recognise the snippet again?...

There's some proto-jungle track from '93 or maybe '94 (I heard on a tape recorded from pirate radio round a dealer's house in a room decorated floor-to-ceiling with black biro straight-to-the-paint stream-of-consciousness ket ramblings) that I've never tracked down. Contained a vocal sample "The evil needle", and lots of deep hypnotic sound FX over rolling amen choppage. Would think it's source-able what with an actual vocal sample, but non, the evil needle turns up some David Holmes shite on discogs.

If I ever heard it again, chances are it may have lost some of it's magic.

• kalakala 3,359 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    But will I recognise the snippet again?...

There's some proto-jungle track from '93 or maybe '94 (I heard on a tape recorded from pirate radio round a dealer's house in a room decorated floor-to-ceiling with black biro straight-to-the-paint stream-of-consciousness ket ramblings) that I've never tracked down. Contained a vocal sample "The evil needle", and lots of deep hypnotic sound FX over rolling amen choppage. Would think it's source-able what with an actual vocal sample, but non, the evil needle turns up some David Holmes shite on discogs.

If I ever heard it again, chances are it may have lost some of it's magic.

hahaha
    i've had this same experience in searching for anonymous once heard amen rollage/choppage from the same era
    all i can say is good luck
    there are so many one off, no name 250-500 pressed killers from that era that are lingering in people's basements
    most of which never made it off that funny island you live on

• J i m s t e r said:
    some Claus Ogerman string-chart-overload shit and some library music noodlefests which went down nice, but remain ungoogleable.

I think the Ogerman might be Gate of Dreams. It's one I don't have so I think I will acquire it through elimination. But will I recognise the snippet again?...

There is definitely one dope track on Gate of Dreams (first song on side two?) Probably the grail you've been searching for.
    I see this record often, never for more than $3. I'll pick you up a copy next time I run across it

kala said:

there are so many one off, no name 250-500 pressed killers from that era that are lingering in people's basements
    most of which never made it off that funny island you live on

Something like this?

This took me a while to find pre-discogs:

No yootoob for the flip, but worth grabbing...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Most kind, 'Cro.

Sort you out with some English delicacy. Man like Bertie Bassett. Real headz...

• J i m s t e r said:
    Most kind, 'Cro.

Sort you out with some English delicacy. Man like Bertie Bassett. Real headz...

Sounds awesome! Thanks

:beerbang: