How Manchester got down in '86.

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited July 2013 in Strut Central
I was going to post this in the Brits thread, but I thought there might be one or two others curious about the nature of the LBE in the North West of England during the mid-80s. This was a good 18 months before Southern clubbers "discovered" house music, btw (just to throw a little provincial needle into the mix). Moss Side was my manor back then and I used to go to quite a few jams at the community centre. When house music first hit, around mid-85, the younger black kids were on it right away. I was a little older, more into hip-hop, soul and r&b, so it took me a while to get to grips with it. But you'd go to jams like this - and you'd be one of the few white faces there, and you'd be scruffier than everyone else - and immediately know that something was happening, that this was a bit different.

The original article where I first saw this clip is here, on Greg Wilson's site. Speaking as someone who was there at the time, I can testify that this is 100% dead on. And he's right about the drugs, too - they drove the black crowds away. All the places he mentions in that piece went from being 70/30 or 75/25 black/white to all-white in a matter of weeks after ecstasy hit Manchester.

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Everywhere went from being 70/30 or 75/25 black/white to all-white in a matter of weeks after ecstasy hit Britain.

Fixed for Harvey. :-P

Looks like a good doc, will check later.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Whoa, they kill it at 4:40!

Can't imagine seein somethin like that now.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I've only got through half of it so far, but it's very interesting.

Greg Wilson has always be a bit of a hero in my eyes, even though I'm too young to have seen him in his heyday. Perplexes me why he didn't go on to become a superstar Dj in the 90s, but then I guess plenty of the other early pioneers didn't either.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Okem said:

Greg Wilson has always be a bit of a hero in my eyes, even though I'm too young to have seen him in his heyday. Perplexes me why he didn't go on to become a superstar Dj in the 90s, but then I guess plenty of the other early pioneers didn't either.

He stopped playing out in '84 and didn't start again for about 20 years -- it took Manchester DJ legend Danny Webb to get him out of retirement for a one nighter and it all started again from there.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    Okem said:

He stopped playing out in '84 and didn't start again for about 20 years -- it took Manchester DJ legend Danny Webb to get him out of retirement for a one nighter and it all started again from there.

I know that selling actual mix CDs is passe these days, but Greg Wilson should be putting them out. His Essential Mix for Radio 1 a couple of years back was mindblowing (and not available to DL @ 320!).

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Fantastic clip, and nice piece by Greg Wilson - one of the great things about him (beside his music) is his writing, always something to say, and still passionate about the music he pioneered. Also, of course, he produced Style Of The Street, and I fucking love that tune.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    Good times. Chad Jackson @ Berlin. Fur coats. ??50 taxi home or doss in Midland lobby.