Racist Politicians(Know How to Ruin a Graduation)

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I graduated from college this week. I wasn't going to go to my graduation as I don't see much point in meaningless ceremony, but the parents were happy that I made it through college (for a variety of reasons).

Coinckidinkily, they happened to be honoring Ohio (Republican) Senator Bill Harris with a "Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree ..., president of the Ohio Senate, in recognition of his accomplishments, devotion to family, noteworthy achievement and distinguished service to the citizens of Ohio."

Well, that sounds like it could fit the bill for anyone from the garbage man on up, but hey, what do I know about handing out something that many people work years for, to someone that has done specifically ... nothing.

Did I mention he also sits on a state board that handles some of the budgeting for certain state entities... including Universities?

But enough of that. Of course, they asked him to make a speech during the graduation, ostensibly about something that would relate to graduates. Well, this jackass took about 3-4 minutes alone to PITCH A BILL HE IS BACKING THAT IS COMING UP FOR A VOTE IN NOVEMBER[/b]. He thought he was slick, because it was yet another "job creation" bill, and who would be more interested in that than a bunch of young kids eager to get their first "real" job out of college?

Even if the bill was the greatest thing on Earth, his use of a graduation ceremony was so incredibly tacky, distasteful, and just ridiculous - you could almost feel the collective groan from the audience. He might have just as well thrown in a pitch for a set of Ginsu knives while he was at it.

Politicians fuck up all the time. Had he been a neighborhood city councilman or something, it would've been tacky but forgivable due to general lack of professional political practice. But for a senator... the President of the Ohio Senate, no less... to use such an important time in people's lives like some sort of cheap infomercial on late-night television is just disgusting.

And, like I said, I don't even LIKE ceremonies.