Please school me on these 45s

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Since my "Intentions on Tiki" post worked a treat last week. Can anyone please tell me about these, artist/label info etc.???Manuel B. Holcolm on Diamond Jim (funky soul, dist. by Cotillion/Atlantic)Muirlands Jazz/Rock Ensemble on United Sound (San Diego, School Group??)Lea Roberts on UA (70's female soul??)Thanks

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Manuel B. Holcolm on Diamond Jim (funky soul, dist. by Cotillion/Atlantic)

What do you need to know? It is crazy hot and has one of the sickest intros anywhere. Been comped.

As far as goes it's not a "holy grail" or anything, I think Craig Moerer sells it for $50 BIN on the Bay, which means if auctioned it would probably go anywhere from $20-40 if clean. I came across a copy recently, and was a bit let down to know it wasn't super-valuable, but psyched to have a copy, and to have the instro side that I didn't have comped anywhere...

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

definate bang for the buck. get a copy asap

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

It's a 45 I just got on eBay (called "I Stayed Away Too Long," BTW). I've been holding out for one for a year or two for under $20, and I got it. $20-25 on the Bay is definately do-able, if you're patient. It seems to have been well-distributed, since one pops up about at least twice a month on there (I'm a patient man). There are two labels - one is silver-on-black with script text spelling out "Diamond Jim Recording" with diamonds on either side. The other is probably a later issue (maybe after the song got picked up nationally), also with silver-on-black print and just a hard serif font for the label name. Both are probably worth about the same. It's a great song, and the instro (titled "Kick Out-Ins") is on the flip.

Also: His first name is spelled "Manual" on at least the first issue - so search for "Holcolm" instead.

Hey! Look! But this one is VG-. So hold out for VG+. Because you're worth it.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Cool, thanks guys. I bought a copy today & had just never heard of the artist or label. One of those those records that I took a chance on listening to at the store & the moment the needle dropped I kew it would be coming home with me. So who was Manuel Holcolm? What year roughly? Where did he come from? From what you say price-wise I think I got a good deal on the later version. Not the sort of record that turns up often down here. Killer record on all accounts though.